mamola exhaust

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Re: mamola exhaust

Postby dave the german » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:45 pm

SP250 wrote:Well it aint going to be 5 bob, but that's the beauty of a fully re-buildable shock.
The remote, but attached, gas cannister was part of the top mounting so needs a different top with the remote can on a flex tube.
The GSXR had a rising rate linkage which the 11S doesn't - its bottom mounting is direct onto the swinging arm, hence the shim stack will need changing and also the stroke length and possibly a different piston rod.
Plus the bottom mounting fork is wider and longer on the 11S, but as Ohlins did the boxercup shocks, then there is a mounting available, otherwise I would have machined one up. Might need a spring too, but I can get them for £30.
So I am expecting about a £400+ bill but I still end up with a top quality £1600 shock, whereas if I buy a Nitron or something else I still only get an emulsion shock for £500/600.

The first job they are doing though is to rebuild my F650 Funduro shock with new seals, a vapour blast, re-paint and re-gas for £140.
If that works ok, I'll get them to do my F800 shock next year when I re-commisssion that (needs new fork stanchions & seals as well).

From what I gathered from one of the guys from Öhlins at Motorrad Days, all the parts to make the shock fit a BCR are available but the impression I got was you basically ordered one and they made it up for you so I don't think you'll have a problem getting it sorted. I don't think I've seen them listed as an off the shelf part
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Boxertech”