R1200S Neutral Light

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

South Paw

R1200S Neutral Light

Postby South Paw » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi guys...

Its been a few years since I have been on here since selling my R1100S. I am about to purchase a R1200S but the seller is telling me the Neutral light switch is not illuminating.

The seller is telling me its not a big issue but I am little concerned.

Is the the R1200S neutral switch a Potentiometer or a simple switch?

I am not sure how concerned I should be?

Really looking forward to getting a R1200S.. and GS later in the year. :)

any advice appreciated..
Last edited by South Paw on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducati Sport Classic monoposto... gone :(

2013 Honda Fireblade
2008 Yamaha R1 - Track Bike
KTM 690

slparry

Re: R1200S Neutral Light

Postby slparry » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:09 pm

South Paw wrote:Hi guys...

Its been a few years since I have been on here since selling my R1100S. I am about to purchase a R1200S but the seller is telling me the Neutral light switch is not illuminating.

The seller is telling me its not a big issue but I am little concerned.

Is the the R1200S neutral switch a petentionometer or a simple switch?

I am not sure how concerned I should be?

Really looking forward to getting a R1200S.. and GS later in the year. :)

any advice appreciated..

Potentiometer

Hope this helps
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index76 ... eId=418303
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:03 pm

Could just be the lamp?

What happens when you snick it into gear with the sidestand down?

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

South Paw

Postby South Paw » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:26 pm

I am hoping its just the lamp to be honest.

I will ask the seller to put it into gear with the side stand down...

Ask him if he can see the gear indicated and if the GPI shows the N in the lcd display. I dont know why I didnt think of that. :)

If it is the Potentiometer (spelling that always hurts) am I looking at a big bill?

Cheers
Al

2013 Honda Fireblade

KTM 690

South Paw

Postby South Paw » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Update...

Looks like the dealer is having to fit and calibrate a new potentiometer.

Placed my deposit.. looks like I am coming back to the fold with a toothpaste striped 1200S :)

I cannot wait.

2013 Honda Fireblade

KTM 690

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Pontiometer, pote shi, Potato.... .. the thing that sends the signals to the dash to tell you Nuetral and which gear you are in is expensive @ £125. To fit it requires you to move the swing arm backwards (so that you can get a spanner on the two holding nuts and withdraw the unit of the input shaft). Oh and by the way there is more than one type but they have the same part number. Some have a wire tail some don't some are for a D shaped input shaft and some are for a T shaped input shaftshaft. You can tell I've suffered can't you. Both types of shaft have both types of electrical input so that's a total of 4 variants and some of them are 180 degress out of wack for your bike. the only way is to remove yours and then get the right variant.

So let's hope the Stealer gets it right and doesn't bodge on the wrong unit.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Does the wire tailed variant fit the non wired? I thought the wired was an upgrade to make the job easier - you know, bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted like so many BM upgrades. Glancing at the repair manual, it looked straight forward. Guess I need to have another look and hope it doesn't happen to mine.

Some of the mileage at which components are failing is nothing short of crap really. Crankshaft oil seal went on my 12s at under 12 000 miles!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:18 am

dave the german wrote:Does the wire tailed variant fit the non wired? I thought the wired was an upgrade to make the job easier - you know, bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted like so many BM upgrades. Glancing at the repair manual, it looked straight forward. Guess I need to have another look and hope it doesn't happen to mine.

Some of the mileage at which components are failing is nothing short of crap really. Crankshaft oil seal went on my 12s at under 12 000 miles!!

As I say I believe tha there are 4 variants. I was sent completly the wrong one by a supplier in Yorkshire which I then busted when trying to make it fit (cos i didn't know that there were different shaped output shaft from the gearbox) the one they sent was for a T shaped shaft and came with a tail and was also 180 degrees adrift so when it registered neutal it would not bolt on to the box. When I phone the supplier in Devon he asked me is it D or T and does it have a tail or not - he said they all have the same part number . Net result I had to buy two to get one. an dno teh tail makes no difference to the ease if fitting you still have to effectively remove the swing arm (move it about two inches backwards not completly remove it).
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:18 am

dave the german wrote:Does the wire tailed variant fit the non wired? I thought the wired was an upgrade to make the job easier - you know, bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted like so many BM upgrades. Glancing at the repair manual, it looked straight forward. Guess I need to have another look and hope it doesn't happen to mine.

As I say I believe tha there are 4 variants. I was sent completly the wrong one by a supplier in Yorkshire which I then busted when trying to make it fit (cos i didn't know that there were different shaped output shaft from the gearbox) the one they sent was for a T shaped shaft and came with a tail and was also 180 degrees adrift so when it registered neutal it would not bolt on to the box. When I phone the supplier in Devon he asked me is it D or T and does it have a tail or not - he said they all have the same part number . Net result I had to buy two to get one. an dno teh tail makes no difference to the ease if fitting you still have to effectively remove the swing arm (move it about two inches backwards not completly remove it).

Return to “Boxertech”