Concerned. Rear wheel transverse freeplay. Paralever

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 pm

timbox2 wrote:
boxerscott wrote:No not the wheel, the movement is at the final drive /swing arm interface.

I am thinking uj pivot bearings area. Its done 27k and it is 10 years old but I am not wanting catastrophic failure especially on our Spain Adventure later this year

So if I hold wheel at top and bottom I can get movement. I will take calliper off tomoz and see if I get more movement which would indicate a problem in the area you are talking about. There does not appear to be any movement in the 9 o clock to 3 o clock axis. The handling is fine, no wobbles, no shakes, no running wide no pulling to left or right under braking. No fluid leaks.

The cyclic resonance is hardly discernible, that could be me just being paranoid about every noise this MF makes :lol:

I had to replace the pivot bearings on my bike twice, both times the bearings had done about 25,000. I remember Steptoes tip for working out if its wheel bearing or pivot, needs another person though ideally. While somebody rocks the wheel, get your fingers between brake disc and FD, if you feel the gap changing, its wheel bearing, if not its pivots.
That's a useful tip and I could link wheel bearing failure to my loose wheel of 3 to 4k ago. Bearing replacement is now on my to do list :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 pm

Had my shaft splines sieze up after about 8k and fixed under warranty.
The symptom was the rear felt like I had replaced the shock with a solid bar and the wheel was skipping off all the bumps in the road.

John

Return to “Boxertech”