mamola exhaust

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Steve h

mamola exhaust

Postby Steve h » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi folks, not been here for a while. I've just put a deposit down on a very very nice Mamola Replica, 2003. Can anyone tell me conclusively, what exhaust system was fitted to the Mamola replicas when new. Did they come with a Remus system as standard or just the standard 1100s exhaust.

Thanks.
Back on a Boxer

andy griff

Re: mamola exhaust

Postby andy griff » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:30 pm

that wasn't from Church Stretton was it ?

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Steve h wrote:
The Mamola Replica, 2003.

Can anyone tell me conclusively, what exhaust system was fitted to the Mamola replicas when new.
Did they come with a Remus system as standard or just the standard 1100s exhaust.

Standard, and the double-pipe Laser system on the BoxerCup track bikes

And mine back in the days.
A single pipe Laser system, turned into a custom made double pipe system... :D

Last edited by RoLoo on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Steve h

Postby Steve h » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:44 pm

andy griff wrote:that wasn't from Church Stretton was it ?

No, private sale up near Richmond
Back on a Boxer

Steve h

Postby Steve h » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:44 pm

RoLoo wrote:
Steve h wrote:
The Mamola Replica, 2003.

Can anyone tell me conclusively, what exhaust system was fitted to the Mamola replicas when new.
Did they come with a Remus system as standard or just the standard 1100s exhaust.

Standard, and the double-pipe Laser system on the BCR track bikes

Many thanks.
Back on a Boxer

simon

Postby simon » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:25 pm

Weren't the 'nice' cans a dealer fitted option?
Simon, now with a third
Yellow '98 R1100S
(..a bit more gimpy tho' [smilie=crutch.gif])

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Re: mamola e7xhaust

Postby herrman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi Steve, only talking about you last weekend up in Scotland. Gail was out on your old bike. Grey & Mandarin S. l seem to remember us going to Hornsea and you having a puncture on that bike. Still looks as clean as ever.

Regards Peter.

Steve h

Re: mamola e7xhaust

Postby Steve h » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 pm

[quote="herrman"]Hi Steve, only talking about you last weekend up in Scotland. Gail was out on your old bike. Grey & Mandarin S. l seem to remember us going to Hornsea and you having a puncture on that bike. Still looks as clean as ever.

Regards Peter.[/quote

Hi Peter, hope you're well. I did indeed have a puncture going to Hornsea on that bike. I seem to remember nursing it back to Miles for a new tyre.
I've just exchanged a few messages with Rob over on UKGSER. He added a pic of my old bike, still looks nice, he mentioned it had cropped up in conversation last W/E.
Well, I've had a fair few bikes since I was last on here. I've come to the conclusion that ultra modern bikes are maybe not for me. I currently have a 2017 R1200r sport, a cracking bike but maybe just a little bit to much gadgetry for me. I'd always liked the look of the Mamola, but found it hard to understand why they are a couple of grand more money. Anyway I saw this one advertised on UKGSER and had a bit of a feeling about it, so went for a look yesterday. It's a lovely bike and very very clean, deal was done and I sent him a deposit when I got back home. he was a lovely fella and had some very tasty stuff in his garage, just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and sadly can't manage the S anymore.
Had a little bit of a wobble this morning and nearly backed out of the sale, at 65 am I going to be able to squeeze myself back on an 'S' got a grip of myself, and now I'm really looking forward to picking it up.
I also got a new Guzzi V85TT last year which I absolutely love, so if the 'S' only gets used on high days and dry days I'll still be able to enjoy it.

Steve.
Back on a Boxer

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:32 pm

Steve, sure you'll be fine on the S, I'm now 66 and rode the 12s for the first time in nearly 2yrs last weekend. Trip up to Scotland and did over a 1000 miles between Thurs & Sun, quite suprised I wasn't aching all over on Mon.

Peter.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:14 pm

Ive just done my first run out into Wales in 2020 with Mr Parry, Andy Gear and "TEC" Paul Davies.
About 250 miles and used my R1100S - no aches and pains from riding, just the usual nerve damage neck and back pain - taken care of by double doses of Ibroprufen and Paracetomol. Can't ride or drive if I have the Tramodol - nasty stuff makes me hallucinate.
So at 65 years old as well, I would say the old 1100S is still a very good real world bike.
Enjoy the Mamola.
John M

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:56 pm

SP250 wrote:Ive just done my first run out into Wales in 2020 with Mr Parry, Andy Gear and "TEC" Paul Davies.
About 250 miles and used my R1100S - no aches and pains from riding, just the usual nerve damage neck and back pain - taken care of by double doses of Ibroprufen and Paracetomol. Can't ride or drive if I have the Tramodol - nasty stuff makes me hallucinate.
So at 65 years old as well, I would say the old 1100S is still a very good real world bike.
Enjoy the Mamola.

John are you running stock suspension on your 11S or some after market units?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:33 am

Funny you should ask that Dave - stock at the moment.

But, just last week I took my spare Ohlins (kept when I sold my trackday GSXR1000RR) to a suspension place and asked them to convert it to fit the 11S.
I felt a more compliant / controlled rear end on the bike would be more comfortable on my back/neck issues and allow me a few more years of riding it.
Sorry for the thread hijack Steve.
Last edited by SP250 on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John M

Steve h

Postby Steve h » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm

SP250 wrote:Funny you should ask that Dave - stock at the moment.

But, just last week I took my spare Ohlins (kept when I sold my trackday GSXR1000RR) to a suspension place and asked them to convert it to fit the 11S.
I felt a more compliant / controlled rear end on the bike would be more comfortable on my back/neck issues and allow me a few more years of riding it.
Sorry for the tread hijack Steve.

No problem, always interested to hear what folks have done with their bikes.
Back on a Boxer

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:47 pm

SP250 wrote:Funny you should ask that Dave - stock at the moment.

Sorry for the tread hijack Steve.

Didn't know that was possible? What sort of price do they charge?

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:00 pm

Well it aint going to be 5 bob, but that's the beauty of a fully re-buildable shock.
The remote, but attached, gas cannister was part of the top mounting so needs a different top with the remote can on a flex tube.
The GSXR had a rising rate linkage which the 11S doesn't - its bottom mounting is direct onto the swinging arm, hence the shim stack will need changing and also the stroke length and possibly a different piston rod.
Plus the bottom mounting fork is wider and longer on the 11S, but as Ohlins did the boxercup shocks, then there is a mounting available, otherwise I would have machined one up. Might need a spring too, but I can get them for £30.
So I am expecting about a £400+ bill but I still end up with a top quality £1600 shock, whereas if I buy a Nitron or something else I still only get an emulsion shock for £500/600.

The first job they are doing though is to rebuild my F650 Funduro shock with new seals, a vapour blast, re-paint and re-gas for £140.
If that works ok, I'll get them to do my F800 shock next year when I re-commisssion that (needs new fork stanchions & seals as well).
John M

Return to “Boxertech”