Brake Failure - Brake Failure

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Teutonic Tangerine

Brake Failure - Brake Failure

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:19 am

So after 43000 miles my R1200ST started to weep a few drops of brake fluid -For some reason BMW route the Brake pipe to the front callipers through the Lower Steering yoke - the feed pipe from the ABS / Pump was weeping ever so slightly - After 90 miles there were a couple of drips running down the Mudguard. On the way home from our ride out I managed to do the 65 miles only using the brakes about 10 times. Back home I was able to nip the union up very slightly and the leak has stopped However on the way home the Brake failure Lights came on and now (even though I have no Leak) the Warning light and RED Triangle persist in flashing at me - How can I cancel the Flashing lighty thing?

Cheers all
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:28 am

Oh dear - No advice - Seems like I'll, have to phone the local dealers - Gulp
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

f90x

Postby f90x » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 am

Stab in the dark here. Have you tried turning the abs off with the abs button before pulling away/disconnect and reconnect the battery. Normally the abs light remains on/flashing when it is turned off. As m sure you know, The abs light turns itself off once you move away from standstill unless you turn it off with the abs button. Apologies if I'm telling you everything you already know.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:44 am

f90x wrote:Stab in the dark here. Have you tried turning the abs off with the abs button before pulling away/disconnect and reconnect the battery. Normally the abs light remains on/flashing when it is turned off. As m sure you know, The abs light turns itself off once you move away from standstill unless you turn it off with the abs button. Apologies if I'm telling you everything you already know.

The R1200ST does not have an ABS button I have tried disconnecting the main battery but that made no difference. The system goes through its usual checks and Yellow warning triangle and red Brake Failure lights go out as you pull away and then randomly the Triangle warning this time in Red comes on with the Brake failure lamp

HarrisBikeNut

Brake failure

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Brake fluid low in either reservoir? Do you / can you get access to. GS911 tool which should tell you?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Re: Brake failure

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:19 am

HarrisBikeNut wrote:Brake fluid low in either reservoir? Do you / can you get access to. GS911 tool which should tell you?

Brake fluid is still fully topped up - it only lost about 2 or 3 drips

I don't have access to a tool so have had to book into the dealers to have the fault codes read and re-set - we'll then see if they re-occur. At least this will only be half an hours labour.

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:38 am

Hello,

Not sure if this helps but on my old K1100LT there is a way of resetting the ABS using a plug on the loom. Quite simple to do and has sorted my bike out when the ABS has had a hissy fit.

You have probably already done this but try googling "ABS reset R1100S" and see what comes up but of course they are different bikes from different eras so this may not be the solutiuon and it might require a dealer reset!

Have a look at this thread...

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Best regards,

David
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:44 pm

David_S_Walker wrote:Hello,

Not sure if this helps but on my old K1100LT there is a way of resetting the ABS using a plug on the loom. Quite simple to do and has sorted my bike out when the ABS has had a hissy fit.

You have probably already done this but try googling "ABS reset R1100S" and see what comes up but of course they are different bikes from different eras so this may not be the solutiuon and it might require a dealer reset!

Have a look at this thread...

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html

Best regards,

David

thanks Dave I'll have a look - The R1200ST has a Canbus electrical system which the R1100S didn't have and that may make a difference but I'll still investigate

Return to “Boxertech”