Final Drive Unit

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Humbug

Final Drive Unit

Postby Humbug » Sat May 28, 2016 1:38 pm

Does anyone know if the final drive unit for other R1200 versions fits the R1200S?
Noticed mine has leaked a little oil onto the rear wheel when I went out to the garage this morning :shock: I can see a few from other bikes on Ebay but the R1200S one was snapped up by a forum member not so long ago :?

Herb

Postby Herb » Sat May 28, 2016 2:23 pm

I think if yours using good order other than the leak then I would have more confidence getting yours rebuilt rather than a second hand / unknown unit.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat May 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Good point well made, might talk to my stealer Balderstons and see the likely damage

Herb

Postby Herb » Sat May 28, 2016 2:32 pm

In the other final drive thread they mention a company which who can recon the drive. Might be worth a call.

f90x wrote:
metropolis2k wrote:Have you used Neil Harrison (Steptoe) before? Might be worth giving him a shout to see if he'll do it for you. I trust him a lot more than any dealers.

Neil sends all his FD's to Mike Overy (Overland and Classic) I have already spoken to Neil and Mike. Thing is I don't see why Bahnstormers won't fit the new part to a loose 'used' FD. At this rate I shall have to 'buy' the flange and send the whole lot to Mike at £50 return postage plus the fitting when really if Bahnstormers had any common sense they would just fit it to my supplied loose FD.
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat May 28, 2016 2:42 pm

Herb wrote:In the other final drive thread they mention a company which who can recon the drive. Might be worth a call.

f90x wrote:
metropolis2k wrote:Have you used Neil Harrison (Steptoe) before? Might be worth giving him a shout to see if he'll do it for you. I trust him a lot more than any dealers.

Neil sends all his FD's to Mike Overy (Overland and Classic) I have already spoken to Neil and Mike. Thing is I don't see why Bahnstormers won't fit the new part to a loose 'used' FD. At this rate I shall have to 'buy' the flange and send the whole lot to Mike at £50 return postage plus the fitting when really if Bahnstormers had any common sense they would just fit it to my supplied loose FD.

Given my recent experience (unless the leak is a minor and cheap Main Dealer fix) I would be sending it to Mike Overy. He's highly recommended everywhere. The only advantage to the main dealer is that you can ride in and leave it there as it's local. Mike is in the middle of no-where. Would be a nice ride to get to him though :-)
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat May 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Of all the luck, he is only 13 miles from me!! Whoop whoop. I'll pop over or give him a call.
Thanks chaps :D

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:17 pm

Was a nice ride over to Mike today although wet and slippery around where he is today.
Looks like a rebuild might be on the cards unless anyone knows if another final drive would fit? GS maybe?
I could do without the bike off the road for too long and it would be great to straight swap and then get Mike to rebuild mine at his leisure.

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Anyone tried to remove a final drive? The pivot bolt is sooooooo tight! Mrs Humbug has skinned all her knuckles and smashed herself in the face with a 24mm socket and she still hasn't got it out!
Don't know what to suggest to her. Still, maybe if she can't manage I'll have a go for her.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Humbug wrote:Anyone tried to remove a final drive? The pivot bolt is sooooooo tight! Mrs Humbug has skinned all her knuckles and smashed herself in the face with a 24mm socket and she still hasn't got it out!
Don't know what to suggest to her. Still, maybe if she can't manage I'll have a go for her.
it`s meant to be, got threadlock on it, use a heat gun and do some research! :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:52 pm

Humbug wrote:Anyone tried to remove a final drive? The pivot bolt is sooooooo tight! Mrs Humbug has skinned all her knuckles and smashed herself in the face with a 24mm socket and she still hasn't got it out!

Yeah a proper heat gun should do it. The paint remover type and do t forget to thread lock it when you put it all back together. Loctite 270
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:05 am

f90x wrote:

Yeah a proper heat gun should do it. The paint remover type and do t forget to thread lock it when you put it all back together. Loctite 270

The Mrs's hairdryer worked fine on mine. :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:48 am

Thanks all, i'll tell her to get on with it. No mention of threadlock in the Haynes manual. Consider my research done.

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:54 am

Humbug wrote:Thanks all, i'll tell her to get on with it. No mention of threadlock in the Haynes manual. Consider my research done.

They changed the design. Initially it had a one time use deformable nut. When they changed the 'maintenance free' drive to 'extensively maintained' they changed the nut to a standard type with washer and loctite.
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks Jim, I'll get on with it myself now, get the missus polishing the headers or something useful

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:06 am

Herb wrote:
Humbug wrote:Thanks all, i'll tell her to get on with it. No mention of threadlock in the Haynes manual. Consider my research done.

They changed the design. Initially it had a one time use deformable nut. When they changed the 'maintenance free' drive to 'extensively maintained' they changed the nut to a standard type with washer and loctite.

Herb, I'll stand corrected but I 'think' you're reffering to the 'tourque arm' bolt there and not the pivot bolt. The original tourque arm bolt needed to be replaced with the new type but once it has been replaced it can be reused. Although personally if I was to have the bike long enough to do multiple FD oil changes I would perhaps replace the bolt after every couple of oil changes.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Return to “Boxertech”