New Bedford UK

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

StuRC45

New Bedford UK

Postby StuRC45 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi all, thought I'd best say hi before going on the tech' forum and asking loads of dumb questions that have probably been asked before.
I've recently picked up a fire damaged R1100S, in addition to being well toasted it's previously had a superbike/boxer cup style handle bar conversion and has a pair of under engine silencers. It also came with a DIY rear subframe, maybe somebody on here recognises the description, knows the bike and can share some history on it?
I'm initially going for a real 'bare bones' rebuild (no bodywork, everything as minimalist as possible) just to get it up and running for the time being and maybe choose a style once that's been accomplished, I'll see how it goes and make a decision later on but I'm pretty certain it'll never look like a standard R1100S again.
This is my first BMW (I've a history of superbikes) so should be interesting, here goes
:D

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:15 pm

Sounds a real beaut !
Welcome

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Welcome along. Let's see some pics then.

It sounds like something Gus might have conjured up!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Welcome !. As above Gus is the only one I can think of on here but didn't sell complete...
Have a look at this thread
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

StuRC45

Postby StuRC45 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Cheers for getting back to me guys. I've just taken a look at the bike Gus built and unfortunately (for me) it's not the same bike as the one currently making my garage look like a forgotten storage unit from Mad Max.
The silencers on mine are directly under the engine (dictating such short header lengths that know one with an eye to performance like Gus would dream of using) and the (very) DIY subframe I have is tubular steel.
I've also noticed mine has a fully adjustable torque arm that looks very well made (unlike the subframe), something I've not seen elsewhere and originality assumed was OEM BMW.
I'll try and get some time over the weekend to take and post a couple of pics, no laughing now......... :)

Triton

Postby Triton » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 pm

The bike sounds like it could have belonged to Vibor Paravic. He used to live in Aberdeen and now lives in London. He radically modified an 1100S in the style you describe. It then caught fire on the road in London earlier this year causing traffic chaos!

I know he posted pictures of the fire on Facebook and I will try to find them.

If it is his bike I could put you in touch with him

David

R1200ST
Dundee
R1200ST '07, R1100RS '96, F650ST '99, Triton 650 '59

StuRC45

Postby StuRC45 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi David,
If you can find and copy over a couple of the pictures from facebook it would pretty much confirm if it's the bike I've now got and yes it would be interesting to get in touch with the original owner and find out some history.
I'm not saying the bike is ugly but I took some shots on my old iphone on Sunday with the intention of posting them here but by Tuesday evening the phone was completely dead and has transformed itself into nothing more than a small heater.
The new phones' delivered tomorrow so I'll try again at the weekend.

StuRC45

Postby StuRC45 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:47 pm

No need to post pics Dave, I googled 'Vibor Paravic' and got a hit on the video he posted showing it merrily burning away and blocking the London traffic, that's definitely my new toy :D (saves me posting pictures as it doesn't look much better now than it did then.........) though I would still be interested in seeing how it looked pre-furnace so will try to contact him at some point.
Many thanks for the lead.

AndyRob

Vibor

Postby AndyRob » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:43 am

I've just bought some bits from him that came off the bike when it was being 'modified' and have his email address if you need it. Just PM me.

Andy
'63 T100SS - being restored, ready 2016-17
'86 750 Virago V-twin CR - under construction
'98 750 Vinago V-twin - under construction'
'99 R11s dead gearbox at 23k
'99 R11s high miles but still going strong

boxerscott

Re: Vibor

Postby boxerscott » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:10 pm

AndyRob wrote:I've just bought some bits from him that came off the bike when it was being 'modified' and have his email address if you need it. Just PM me.

Andy
"Modified" :!: Modifried? Are these things legal for road use?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Gruffalo

Hello from Northampton

Postby Gruffalo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi mate I'm in Northampton your bike sounds like a good project
R1100S previously F650cs, R1, BKing, Deltabox Street-fighter , imported Vulcan ( don't ask why) Z1300, 900f, then GT 750 , 550, 380, 185, xr 500
IT 465 Harley Davidson Fat Bob

StuRC45

Postby StuRC45 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:17 pm

"Project" it certainly is!
Plan A is just to get it running and MOTed and then run it around for a bit and get a feel for it, decide what I like about it and what I don't and make changes from there.
The thing that's a little frustrating at the moment is nailing down the exact spec, I was fortunate enough to speak to the previous owner so I now know a little history of this particular bike but confirming (100% certain) the tech spec for a 2000 R1100S is proving to be a little difficult.
While I think of it can anyone confirm or deny if these bikes came fitted with forged pistons and rods (I forget where I read it but its out there somewhere) and are the cranks cast or forged?
I'm also finding it difficult to unearth the piston and cylinder head volumes, anyone (save me an unessesary strip down)?
The answers to these will be the decider as to just tidying it up and runing it 'as is' as a kinda stripped down 'tracker/bobber' style or it its worth starting working towards fixing known issues and uprating weak points before reworking the engine for a considerable power increase and the associated poverty and frustration that will inevitably follow :)

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:24 pm

Hi, I'm local to Bedford. Search on Pelican forum for more detail. There has been one or two rebuilds posted there. It might be worth giving damoace a pm on here. See if he can offer some advice.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Return to “New Trixters?”