Fuel pump problem after fuel filter change...

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

SVA

Fuel pump problem after fuel filter change...

Postby SVA » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi all.

A couple of days ago I wanted to change my fuel filter on my R1100S. Read a little bit about it online, and thought "how hard can it be". After I got all the fairing parts off, drained the tank, I thought... This is pretty easy. Double Jinx...

When trying to get the fuel pump and filter assembly out of the gas tank, I quickly realised why you pay professionals to do this sort of stuff... I could almost get it out, but in the end.. I said screw this and put the whole thing back together again.

Poured some fuel into the tank, and tried to fire it up. The sound the fuel pump made, when I turned the key was weird. Normally it is like a wiiiirrrrr... kinda low pitch. But now it is more like WIIIII... High pitch. And the starter just goes round and round and it won't start...

Apart from taking everything apart again, draining the tank and actually changing the filter (i've read that if you try long enough, eventually it WILL come out) What have I done wrong??? I suppose the higher pitch sound of the fuel pump is because it is running dry... But the tank is almost full, and I see no reason to why it would keep running dry after multiple attempts...

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
SVA

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Is the orientation of the panel holding the fuel pump the same as when you put it back in?

The noise and lack of starting suggests the fuel pump isn't getting enough (or any) fuel. I replaced mine recently and it was a bugger to start until I properly filled it but I wouldn't recommend doing that until you're sure it's all back as it should be.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:36 am

Sounds like maybe the pump is not getting loaded with any pressure. Does the whirring stop after few seconds, withignition on but engine not sstarted?

SVA

Postby SVA » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Yes. Everything is normal except for the higher pitch sound, and the fact that the motor don't start.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 am

SVA wrote:Yes. Everything is normal except for the higher pitch sound, and the fact that the motor don't start.

Ok, how about the other extreme. Too much pressure. There will be an internal pressure relief valve to protect the pump, set higher than the pressure regulating valve. Maybe you trapped a pipe? That would kind of explain things?

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 pm

It's possible ( but unlikely) that one of the fuel pipes was dislodged when you attempted to remove the filter. It is a bit fiddly but not that difficult to remove . Remedy as already noted , have another attempt . The only other possible cause I guess is that the mechanical pressure relief valve has coincidentally failed.(stuck open) Clamp the external (rubber) return pipe to see if this has an effect?
I had a similar problem to yours soon after replacing the filter and pump a while back . Cause was a poorly clamped pipe on the filter :oops:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

SVA

Problem solved!

Postby SVA » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Well... pretty embarrassing. Got the two fuel lines from the fuel pump unit mixed up, and that was what's wrong... Maybe I should stop doing things myself.

Corvus

Re: Problem solved!

Postby Corvus » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:12 pm

SVA wrote:Well... pretty embarrassing. Got the two fuel lines from the fuel pump unit mixed up, and that was what's wrong... Maybe I should stop doing things myself.

So the pressure feed from the pump went into the wrong side of the regulator? That would mean the diaphragm would have no chance of lifting, meaning the pump internal relief valve would kick in? And the injectors would only have the head from tank acting on them?

Return to “Boxertech”