R1100S Transmission Rattle?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Harry Lime

R1100S Transmission Rattle?

Postby Harry Lime » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:56 am

Sigh. Beginning to wonder if I'd trust a BMW to get me around the block!

R1100S 2000 vintage. 35000 miles. Main wheel drive bearing replaced @ 30,000, paralver bearings @ 32,000.

Now. at 34,500 it's developed a nasty rattle from somewhere in the transmission.

Best described as a whirring clattery noise when on neutral throttle, i.e. neither accelerating nor decelerating. Also occurs when coasting downhill with clutch in (so it ain't the clutch, methinks.)

Can't tell whether it's from the front or back of the shaft though.

I'm thinking UJ, but opinions based on sound knowledge or experience welcome.

TBH, if it is the UJ and therefore a 4 figure repair, then given the bikes value............the skip beckons, which is a damned shame as otherwise it's a fine bike.

Grrrrr. Lucky I have other bikes to ride...

H.
Harry Lime

nab 301

Re: R1100S Transmission Rattle?

Postby nab 301 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Harry Lime wrote:I'm thinking UJ, but opinions based on sound knowledge or experience welcome.

H.

I'm not sure about sound knowledge but I'd disagree with you're costing of the repair if it is the uj (based on used parts). However, removing the bevel box is a relatively easy job which would allow the rear uj to be checked and allow you to inspect the front one . Removal of the swingarm isn't too daunting if initial inspection of the front warrants a closer look.
If gearbox removal/ repair is required then I'd agree with your costings.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Harry Lime

Re: R1100S Transmission Rattle?

Postby Harry Lime » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 pm

nab 301 wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:I'm thinking UJ, but opinions based on sound knowledge or experience welcome.

H.

I'm not sure about sound knowledge but I'd disagree with you're costing of the repair if it is the uj (based on used parts). However, removing the bevel box is a relatively easy job which would allow the rear uj to be checked and allow you to inspect the front one . Removal of the swingarm isn't too daunting if initial inspection of the front warrants a closer look.
If gearbox removal/ repair is required then I'd agree with your costings.

Used moving parts = f*cked moving parts in my experience. You're just replacing a part that went bang with a part that's about to go bang. You just hop on the merry go round of more frequent replacement.

With this issue, the dealer just seems to take money for one maintenance job, which I've happily paid, so far, to cause a problem elsewhere.

Just feeling fleeced.
Harry Lime

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:37 am

Worth looking for an independent mechanic. Local guy stripped all the back end of me BCR to do the 3 oil seals for a smidge over £200. I know gearbox is gonna be more intensive but might be worth a try
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

70tno

Postby 70tno » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:40 am

Just a long shot, but you had paralever bearings replaced around 3000 miles ago?
I had a similar problem a little while after replacing mine, turned out that I hadn't refitted the drive shaft back onto the gearbox output shaft properly (it's held on by a built-in snap ring) and it had worked its way off slightly.
Result was a chewed up spline in the end of the shaft UJ, but the gearbox spline was ok.
Bought a second-hand shaft somewhere and made sure it went on properly this time! Have done many thousands of miles since without problem.
Only the person who risks is truly free.

Black 1100s

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:52 am

Will it make the noise parked on a paddock stand? Just thinking you'd be able to home in better on where exactly the noise is coming from. If it does make the noise, then select neutral. That'll tell you a bit more. You might even feel something spinning the wheel by hand, with the brake caliper off.

Good luck. Hopefully it's easily sorted.

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Well, ze dealer has called and him say "S" is fixed and ready for collection.

More tomorrow, but so far, so good :) (provisional :) that is )

H.
Harry Lime

Return to “Boxertech”