Garmish

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 am

Brilliant report. Last year didn't do the BM museum. The party is something else isn't it - people of that age acting like that!! tempted to do it again next year
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for the kind comment. It is difficult to get photos with the camera at night. There was a lot going on. Can't say too much because the missus is reading this. Oops.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Saunday. This was not the idea to walk around with some beer induced flatulence at the show. I'm trying to find the Alpha Racing guys and eventually tracked down the stand. Nope, they did some work on the electronics of the boxer cup but none of the engine stuff. I say thanks after some small talk about the wc boxer but they concentrate on the S1000RR. Spend some time at the show taking pictures of cafe racers for Dickie who is building one.

The BMW collection

The Kompressor model if I remeber correctly

Got bored, got on the bicycle and cycled around. Not many bikes in parking area so I head back to the hotel. It was very hot and humid so I take the opportunity to have shower and rest a wee while. The rest of the day was spend cycling back when the bike park filled up to look at the bikes and cycling through the town. Popped around to the arena to see a guy called Ross do some amazing stunts with a Mini. His parking show was quite impressive.

In town by the looks of it there was a wicked party judging by the doughnuts in the town centre. The rest of the group had set off to ZugSpitze and they had the best view possible because of the cloudless sky. Some of the other went hiking through the gorge, I'll do that next time. That evening we had another monster meal. I was getting the feeling that the peak of the tour was reached and now we are looking forward to getting back to Blighty. The group dynamics was already at work with some electing to do their own thing and just ride together. The route tomorrow would take us past Lake Constance via Lindau and Friedrichshafen to Titisee. This was under discussion as the school holidays had started in Southern Germany. The guy with the R80GS advised me to avoid that road and loop around it. He knows the area well and lives near Singen. So the decision was made at the table to loop around and maybe use the motorway to Ulm, Stuttgart and then down and across to Titisee. So with everything packed except that what would be needed tomorrow morning I went to bed.

A photo of my digs

and the view from it.
Last edited by tanneman on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 pm

I'm up a bit earlier this morning to make sure everything is in order. You cannot be too sure. Had another proper breakfast, brushed teeth and went to get the bike ready. Whilst I was doing all this and moving the bike outside Rudy pulled in next to me and set to work. I noticed him not looking and flipped his kill switch. He he, I would love to see his reaction after the last hiccup. Before long everybody have saddled up and we are ready to go.

I look over to Rudy as he pressed the starter, nothing. He throws his hands in the air and see me laughing. Looks at his kill switch and resets it. Later he would comment 'I can't believe you did that to me'. I had no reply sorry. So we head out and unlike the little ride out on Saturday the roads are dry as we make our way to Lermoose, Austria. I take the opportunity to let the bike loose and pass everybody to get some clear road. This is too good a moment to miss. Unbeknown to me Rudy followed. I pulled up to wait for the group and Rudy joined me, not long after the rest arrived and we followed. We stop somewhere to get fuel and I join at the back. This would allow me to take in the scenery as we follow the valley past Zugspitze. Not many miles later we join a motorway. I have kept an eye on the odometer as she would be reaching 20000 miles. Something else I did was to not load a route for the day. We would be winging it to Titisee. The magic number apperead and I pull over. Mike and Susan pass me and I give them the thumbs up so that they know not to worry about me. A quick photo and I'm off.

Happy birthday girl and to have it Germany is a bonus.

Now I have to catch the group and I know there is an unrestricted bit of motorway and I do not know where they are heading to. So I turn the wick up on the unrestricted bit. First I follow a Vauxhall and that was too slow, then a new Range Rover Sport but it ran out off puff at a 120. So I adopt my aerodynamic position and keep it at a 130ish. Now I know that a K1600GT is fast having ridden one and that very one at the front of the group. But dammit if I could catch them on that motorway. After a good few miles I came to the conclusion that they have turned off somewhere. I'm enjoying doing the speed so I stick to the motorway to Ulm. The bit between Ulm and Stuttgart is clogged but then the bit south from Stuttgart is heaven. Very few traffic and we are going some bit. The only downside was some ignorant Merc driver that brake tested me in the fast lane and then tried to force me off the road at a junction. I did show him that he is a wanker, Wanker. Anyway, I do not let such little things upset me. So me and my steed are passing the slower traffic untill a white Audi Avant goes past and I decide to follow. That thing disappeared in front of me and the speedo got stuck at a 145. Bearing in mind this is with that big panniers on. I turn off on the 31 and head west. Looking at the map I realise I'm close to Titisee and fancy some twisty bits. I refuel the bike, plot a route and set off.

If you ever find yourself in the region try this road. Deserted like a French D road and as twisty as a contortionist snake.
http://goo.gl/maps/JLJnb

I made it to the destination but to find the hotel is a different matter. A few wrong turns and a one way system sees me back where I started. Well I made it there. By the time I had a shower the rest of the group turns up. I went down to greet them and I notice that something is not right. Mick is upset about getting lost and the difference in riding abilities so he and Alan will be on their own tomorrow. Later I hear the full story and quite funny but the truth is that if you are on tour on a motorcycle you should be able to find your way. I have not been afraid of being temporarily unsure of my location but my philosophy is that all roads lead to where you want to be. The break in the group is now evident as ever and I'm glad that I had a good time on my own. At least it is something different and we can each tell a story.

The view looking out to the lake.

Titisee is a strange but beautiful place. It caters for day visitors and the restaurants close at 20:00. We found a place willing to have us about a 10 minute leisurely walk away, a German Italian place. I had a simple meal of Magarita pizza with extra Anchovies. The weather forecast did predict some heavy showers that evening and as we left we where in it. We seek some shelter at an Ice cream place where we enjoyed some delicious ice cream. The evening concluded in the hotel bar with a beer and a discussion about the weather and tomorrows route. Some elected to take the motorway to Riems. It seemed sensible as more rain was predicted for the next day and even in France. The planned route would be either 290 or 260 miles long depending if you want to tour the Vosges region or not. Luckily the hotel has an underground car park so at least we start with a dry bike.
Last edited by tanneman on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:40 am

Almost the last day. I'm really missing my wife and the home cooking. The bed of last night was a bit cosy. I have not mentioned it but Ausie John has been a very good room mate. Not the neatest he admitted but we got on very well. He also likes to sleep in and can get dressed in a flash. The man has an unusual interest in old tractors, he even brought a magazine with him to read. He would get on well with my dad who is a farmer in SA.

So we awake to find the slightest of rain coming down with no end in sight. Breakfast is once again a full serving and some more. I like it that way because when I'm on my own either riding or between shifts at home I don't have lunch. Mick and Alan had departed earlier that morning and just to play the joke with him I flipped his kill switch yesterday. I'll see if I get any reaction. 9 am as always we are at the bikes ready to go. We make our way gingerly on the cobbled bit, through town and on the 31 heading west. As we join the road the group gets split by the traffic. We follow and the traffic gets heavier. I don't like it. Some pootle around but when an overtaking opportunity arises I take it to clear some space and keep the front of the group in sight. It is a twisty bit of tarmac that leads us into Freiburg. I'm sure on an ideal day with good weather it would be a gift but today the traffic and rain spoils it. Not helped by the traffic we experience in the town. We stop for fuel and quite a few of the other members of the Motorrad tours pass us. Back to normal operation I guess. As we leave with me at the back of the group the traffic splits us. Soon they are lost from me and I find my own way out of the place. I did say to Richard that morning that when we get to Freiburg I'll make my mind up to follow him or do my own thing and stick with the route. So I stuck with it. I cross into France and through Colmar and take the short cut to Epinal, the alternative route of 260 miles. A few villages are dispatched and then I go up in the mountains. It is raining with a low cloud cover and I keep a sensible pace, feeling relaxed and in control. A few overtakes and some clear mountain road before I enter the cloud. Dammit, the fog is so thick I cannot see 3 car lengths in front of me. It gets cold and soon I have to stop for a wee. It is quiet except for the bike turning over. After what feels like an eternity I pass some buildings. I realise there must be something here only to realise I have reached the top when I pass the ski lift. From here it is all downhill. After another eternity I get under the cloud and the pace quickens. The road dries out a bit past Gerardmer and I'm starting to like it. I refuel at Epinal and once out of town I get the bike in her sweet spot so we can make progress. We are flying only slowing down where the road doesn't allow for good visibility or when coming up to overtake and of course the villages. I pass a Mirage 3 on a pole, an aircraft I regard as a beautiful classic machine of the delta wing concept. As I near Neufchateau it rains till the other side of the village. I elect not to stop in the old part of town. In between Neufchateau and Bar-le-Duc I dry out, it rains again and I dry out. A quick detour through the old part of Bar-le-Duc just to see what it looks like and I press on to Riems. I get wet again and dry out and then I ran out of fuel. The light comes on and I chance it to the next village. It is too small for a petrol station. The satnav directs me back to a nearby village off the route where I fill up at an Intermarche. I have lost a lot of time and give it a bit of stick. In hindsight the local wildlife is not used to such fast machinery on the road and a bird misjudge his take-off and wipes his arse on my trouser leg. Poor thing. The bit to Riems was uneventful bar a few road works and a bit of traffic. A few wrong turns in the one way system of Riems and I arrive at the Best Western in the Centre of town. Another underground car park, not that I'm complaining. I notice that Mick and Alan have already arrived. The room we have looks out over the street in front of the hotel.

Not long after the rest of the group arrived. Having taken the motorway they had plenty of time for a lunch stop. But they had rain for most of the day and I could see the mood is not as joyous as before. Probably lacking any excitement having been on the motorway, but they are safe and that is what counts. We have a bit of downtime to relax on our own before we meet up for a beer or two at the hotel bar. It is an expensive few beers before we leave. Now much more full of life and hungry. A short walk round the corner in a pedestrian area we found an inviting restaurant. A very good choice for the last meal of the tour. Our waiter was very good and looked a bit like Max Biaggi. The tomato soup went down a treat, I could have had another one and called it a day but decided on a fillet with mushroom sauce and baked potatoes. This was done to perfection and everybody complemented the efforts of the chef. This was washed down with some local champagne which was the fitting thing to do. The only piccie I have is of the chocolate mousse. This just melted in your mouth. I took my time to saviour every bit of it.

We left there very happy and left the waiter a big tip. He was the best one of the entire trip. We asked for a group photo of him with us. He was very humbled by our gesture but accepted it. We had a very good time and finished off with a coffee at the hotel before retiring back to our rooms. I could sense the get home feeling among us and it was present in me too. Rudy thanked me and we complimented each other having become friends over this trip. He will retire in less than 3 weeks. Tomorrow Richard has to leave very early to take his better half to Heathrow. I have been asked to lead the few remaining stragglers back to the tunnel. Mick and Alan will once again do their own thing. Richard (from Beccles and pictured earlier in the thread not the other Richard from Wollaston BMW) and John have formed a companionship so where quite happy to ride together but John would be on his own tomorrow.
Last edited by tanneman on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:00 am

Wednesday and with some sadness the last day of the tour. Over the nine days we would clock a bit less than 2000 miles. Our back ends have now conditioned to the long days in the saddle. But we are looking forward to being reunited with our loved ones. I arrive at my bike after breakfast to find the kill switch flipped after I tried to start her. Now who would have done it? We pull out of the garage and turn left. The first stop would be for fuel before we take a modified route back to Calais. The faffing around in Riems cost us half an hour before we leave the place. I set a decent pace so that everybody can follow. At Fismes we head north to Laon. We pass some beautiful views. The day started out dry and cool but rain is threatening further north. I try to keep the group together but I know Mike and Susan can find their own way home. So with one eye in front and another in the rear view I lead them to Laon. Rudy stays close and I can hear those lasers burble. The landscape goes a bit flat and in the distance you can spot Laon for it is build on a hill. A quick stop is called for at Laon and it is also a photo opportunity.

The way we came.

From here on we would make our way to Saint Quentin via the motorway and then deviate to go through Peronne, Combles and stop at Longueval for a visit to the Delville Wood memorial. This happens without any incident but time is running out to catch the train and have lunch in Arras.

We leave the memorial as it starts to rain. A deviation in a village sees us back to the main road between Albert and Bapaume. Time is against us. Something I have to explain. The Sygic app I'm using for navigation is really good but the one annoying thing about it is that when you miss a waypoint it will direct you to that waypoint. This is what caused me to stop and delete the waypoint as we turned off at Bapaume to Arras. The group continued as I expected them to do as Arras is clearly signed. I catch up and we refuel at the first petrol station before making our way through the road lattice that is Arras centre. We park up at the Grand Place square for a quick tart and coffee break before we have to make hay to Calais. The toll roads have so far proved disastrous for Richard from Beccles so I wave him in behind me and pay his toll to spare him the anguish. It have been raining all the way from Arras. I push on a bit in a bid to make up some time. The rest follows but as we near the tunnel turn off I lost sight of the others. Only Rudy is sticking close by. I had nothing to worry about because as we go through and get our passes from the Motorrad tours team the rear section turns up and we are together again. Just immigration to clear and to my surprise there is not as much as an eyebrow raised when I present my foreign passport. In the past they always double checked it and it is even worse when we fly to Poland. This is where we loose Steve. The tunnel crossing is suffering from some delays so we stop at the duty free area for a rest and wait for the call. I'm worrying about Steve but just thought he must have gone straight on to the train. The thoughts drift back to work and stuff that has to be done once home. We are moving house soon so there is a lot to organize. Eventually after some time we board and soon is back in Blighty. Rudy and I will travel together for he doesn't live too far from me. I keep the speed sensible but will have to refuel before or at the Dartford crossing. As expected the crossing is a car park on the M25. We filter through the traffic and by surprise past Steve. At the crossing I spot a good friend of mine who went missing for 3 weeks in Scandinavia and Northern Europe. We agreed to meet at Thurrock services. This is where me and Rudy separate because he was not paying attention. After a quick bite to eat and a chin wag with Geoff I set off home. Rudy got back home safe and we'll soon meet to catch up.

I can honestly say that this was one of the best trips ever. As far as the rain was concerned it didn't bother me much. My boots, suit and gloves kept me dry and I learned to relax in the Vosges mountains. The bike was in a state not previously witnessed by me. So I gave her a thorough wash and proper clean Monday and Tuesday. She ran without hiccup.

I took her to work Wednesday so this is outside the office.

Please feel free to browse through the photos of the trip

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34011550@ ... 575070366/
Last edited by tanneman on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:23 am

Thanks for the report - really enjoyed it!! and although only 1 year since I did it, it brought back some happy memories. I had to laugh at your comment about the beer prices in Reims!! It was 8 Euros for a large beer when I was there. Did you go through Oberjoch when you left Garmisch? I worked there in a hotel in 1990 and done my uni work placement in Friedrichshafen at ZF. Must do this trip again
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Ride Reports”