Another near miss ....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:13 am

Bender wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:I'll repeat my appeal for annual, or bi-annual eye tests for anyone over the age of, say, 60 (dunno about the age, but the line has to be drawn somewhere).

My direct experience of three aging parents was that it wasn't their road sense, nor their reactions - (and I don't think reaction times should be a factor for road driving or riding, unless seriously eroded ) but their eyesight.

To drive you need to be able to (a) see the road (b) see the instruments and (c) judge distance and speed of approaching vehicles.

People usually notice when they can't read the newspaper anymore - that's (b). But for the other items, eyesight can deteriorate seriously without the person noticing.

But of course, what I'm recommending is STATE CONTROL!!!!! Aieeeeeee! So all the gun-totin' hanging and flogging right wing will have none of it. Oh, and of course, it will cost money, and that's all theirs, of course.

H.
I have a HGV licence so I have to have a full medical every five years to retain my licence entitlement.

This year the doc told me that my long sight didn't meet the standard for the HGV licence and that I couldn't drive anything until I got glasses.

After a moment of panic I asked him what he meant by 'anything' - he said he meant lorries, and that my eyesight was fine for cars and motorcycles.

That strikes me as ridiculous. :?

I have an HGV licence too but to be honest the medical isn't really that strict - one example is blood pressure - I forget what the requirement is but I know as diet controlled diabetic, the doctor wants my blood pressure lower than what is required for the HGV medical
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Bender

Postby Bender » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:01 am

dave the german wrote:
Bender wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:I'll repeat my appeal for annual, or bi-annual eye tests for anyone over the age of, say, 60 (dunno about the age, but the line has to be drawn somewhere).

My direct experience of three aging parents was that it wasn't their road sense, nor their reactions - (and I don't think reaction times should be a factor for road driving or riding, unless seriously eroded ) but their eyesight.

To drive you need to be able to (a) see the road (b) see the instruments and (c) judge distance and speed of approaching vehicles.

People usually notice when they can't read the newspaper anymore - that's (b). But for the other items, eyesight can deteriorate seriously without the person noticing.

But of course, what I'm recommending is STATE CONTROL!!!!! Aieeeeeee! So all the gun-totin' hanging and flogging right wing will have none of it. Oh, and of course, it will cost money, and that's all theirs, of course.

H.
I have a HGV licence so I have to have a full medical every five years to retain my licence entitlement.

This year the doc told me that my long sight didn't meet the standard for the HGV licence and that I couldn't drive anything until I got glasses.

After a moment of panic I asked him what he meant by 'anything' - he said he meant lorries, and that my eyesight was fine for cars and motorcycles.

That strikes me as ridiculous. :?

I have an HGV licence too but to be honest the medical isn't really that strict - one example is blood pressure - I forget what the requirement is but I know as diet controlled diabetic, the doctor wants my blood pressure lower than what is required for the HGV medical
It probably depends who does it, I went to an occupational health provider through work, the medical took over an hour and was very thorough.
2011 Harley-Davidson FLD Switchback - yeah, I know. I've always wanted one though...

The Teutonic Tangerine

Re: Another near miss ....

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:49 am

GerryB wrote:Man oh man !!!

I'm nearly 60 ....

BUT .....

I really have a problem with the oldies on the road, who are not able to turn their heads to look & see if there is any one on the round about or approaching an intersection where they should be giving way !!!

Twice in the last 2 days have had doddery old geriatrics approach an intersection, slow down & then just drive on into the road , like 10 / 15 yards in front of me !!!

I'm a big guy, wear a dayglo green & black jacket , ride with head light & LED light bar on ....

Clearly these old people are not capable of driving safely .....

But if I hadn't been expecting them to do it, & had hit the old fogey in the door, the plod would be automatically looking to charge me - the arrogant aggressive speeding biker ...

These blooming old folk are suicidal , out on the roads when they clearly can not control their cars....

Every month here in Herefordshire an oldie manages to park his car under a tractor or an artic ....

Grrr ...

Rant over .

Now time to hit the sack , try to build a bit of sleep up for a night shift .

You should try riding into London each day (I only come in from the Esat as far as the Isle of Dogs)just yesterday I had four attempts on my life, two turning out of side roads infront of me an two changing lanes without signalling or looking. Today it was only two attempts both lane changing without looking. I have Hi Viz bl*ody great silver ST, silver helmet and headlights on (the biggest headlamp ever on a bike). It made me laugh out loud when a guy in front of me on his 1000RR switched on his hazzrd lights today. Believe me if they don't bother to look they ain't gonna see hazzrd lights.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:37 pm

I've just 'clicked over' 72. You can see what I ride. Get off my case.

Nick.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

metropolis2k

Re: Another near miss ....

Postby metropolis2k » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:24 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:I have Hi Viz bl*ody great silver ST

Do you ever head down Caledonian Road? The only ever 1200ST I've seen was heading down there while I was walking to work.

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
You sure that's a CBR1000RR? Looks like a C90 to me ;)

Er, 'Specsavers' ?

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Return to “Boxerbanter”