Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Mal

Postby Mal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 am

hello from Wales, i'm looking to buy a R1200 R, 2007> always wanted one,i,ve got a few quit together now, but what should i look out for when buying,.........any advice would be much appreciated,as it's my first bmw.............. Mal

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am

Welcome Mal.

There are plenty of folk on here who have owned the R1200s for a long time, and racked up a lot of miles too.

I don't think there are any particular weakspots with them, but I think it is well worthwhile holding out for one with the Sports pack (wider rear wheel - 190 section tyre, and Ohlins shocks).

I guess you should pay particular attention to:

Service history (especially rear bevel unit oil changes)
Any rear wheel play
Stone-chip damage/corrosion to engine front
Paint flaking/corrosion to engine cooling fins.

There are some good buys to be had, but dealers (official and otherwise) still seem to be charging a lot.

You could pick up a good sports one for under £5k I think.

Good luck!

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Herb

Postby Herb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:35 pm

Welcome along Mal. Blackal has it right, not much to add really. Engine covers often look shabby, some we're replaced under warranty due to paint peel but they still go again. A negotiating point rather than anything to be concerned about.

Make sure the final drive (bevel box) has been regularly serviced with the correct amount of oil as this is a weak point.

Haggle hard and you could get a good deal. These bikes often spend a long time on the dealer forecourt.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

the smudger

Postby the smudger » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Hi Mal, welcome to the site. I have only been on here a few weeks and they collectively forced me to buy an R1100S (only kidding!!). A great bunch of people on here mate.

I'm only over the bridge in Bath, if you see anything over here and would like someone to take a look for you just let me know, i'll be happy to! must add though i'm off on holiday for 2 weeks from tuesday...

Mal

Postby Mal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 am

thank's for the info and advice,i did'nt know about a sports pack,i'll be looking out for that, are they common place ? has the r1200r been up dated in 2007, what the difference, so far i've been looking on MCN, Ebay, and bike trader,there don't seam to be many about !! any other place to look...mal

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:09 am

Hang on......... :?

Did you originally ask about the 1200R? I thought it was 1200s?

1200R is only available in one version (as far as the options go)

It's now available in 1200 Hex-head and 1200 TwinCam models, with the Liquid-cooled version out soon.

I had an R2100 Twincam on loan the other week and thought it was a cracking bike.

Al

See if that works .....

Mal

Postby Mal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:15 am

sorry if i got this wrong,but as in my 1st post R1200R,i was reading about one in May's "BIKE" page 45 ...... it read's "naked BMW R1200R"..... "the R1200R uses the same 1170cc flat twin as the air cooled GS did." so are we singing off the same hymn sheet ?..........mal

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 am

Mal wrote:sorry if i got this wrong,but as in my 1st post R1200R,i was reading about one in May's "BIKE" page 45 ...... it read's "naked BMW R1200R"..... "the R1200R uses the same 1170cc flat twin as the air cooled GS did." so are we singing off the same hymn sheet ?..........mal

Errr, slightly different hymn sheetsI think :wink:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 am

My bad eyesight, Mal :oops:

It's basically the same engine, but might be in a slightly different "tune" than the GS?

As mentioned - I think they are cracking bikes, wear the same panniers as the 1200RT, and would make a good touring machine. That said - the lack of protective fairing may be a bit of a bugbear longterm? I imagine that on a hot day in France - the lack of fairing would be welcome ..... until you have a look at your helmet, jacket and pants - with all the road dirt and dead bugs.............

The loaner I had, even around town - it begged to be ridden enthusiastically.

I thought the seat was a bit low, though - had my knees at quite a tight angle.

If you aren't set on the R1200r........

Have a look at the R1200ST. It's kind of half-way between the R and the S - a really good sports-tourer. It uses the same panniers as the R and the RT, but has a reasonable fairing and slightly more "sporty" rider-position.

Some colour schemes don't flatter it, but it is perhaps the most underrated of BMWs later offerings.

There are a couple of owners on this site.

Neither the R or the ST came with any option packs (other than ABS, I think).

HTH

See if that works .....

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:28 am

eyore wrote:
Errr, slightly different hymn sheetsI think :wink:

Wrong Church! :oops:

See if that works .....

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Right tree.....wrong desert :wink:

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

slparry

Re: Newbie

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Mal wrote:hello from Wales, i'm looking to buy a R1200 R, 2007> always wanted one,i,ve got a few quit together now, but what should i look out for when buying,.........any advice would be much appreciated,as it's my first bmw.............. Mal

Keep your eye out on the ABS pump, they can be horrendously expensive to replace if the fail!
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “New Trixters?”