Removing luggage rails from R12S

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

surflogic

Removing luggage rails from R12S

Postby surflogic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi all,

I tried to remove oem luggage rack from my R12S yesterday. I suspect it was there from day one. There is sign of corrosion on some of the bolts, especially ones hidden under the plastics.

Bolts holding the pillion foot pegs and bottom part of the rails came off no problem, however I don't seem to be able to undo the ones screwed to the rear sub frame. Both of the screws are not seized or anything and can rotate them freely. I was able to undo one of them to some extend and then it just rotates without actually going out, similarly I'm not able to screw it back in :(

I'm wondering if there is any bolt nut inside the sub frame which rotates with it and preventing it from being taken out? In theory it should be a very simple job to take them out or put back in.

Now, I would like to be able to mount the railing whenever I need them instead of having it attached all the time. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it without damaging the sub frame / mounting points (if I haven't done that already), or do I need to go to the service and asked them to remove it for me?

Cheers

popsky

Postby popsky » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:31 pm

I think your right about the captive nut and I've just had the same thing happen to one of the bolts under the rear quater, I managed to get it out but it won't now tighten (bugger), sorry I can't be of more help but insure someone has a fix on the board.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

surflogic

Postby surflogic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:50 pm

If putting luggage rails on is a one off thing then that's pretty bad design. I found some picture of rear sub frame on ebay and it seems that it's rather hard to undo these screws once they are in... Hmm. My service is due soon so might ask them to fix that for me unless there are others here who could advise.

Pics to above-mentioned case: pic1, pic2, pic3
---
R12S 2007 + Sport Pack
F800 ST 2006

gus

Postby gus » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 am

Hi
I have a mint condition rear subframe I would sell.
PM me if interested.
All the best
Gus

surflogic

Postby surflogic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Just had another look at this today morning and noticed one thing. The threaded part embedded into the subframe rotates with the bolt itself when trying to undo it.

Any suggestions on how to keep it in place? I think i will be able to do it with the bolt I partially undone but in case of the other one I don't even see bottom part of the frame...

I guess it looks like something BMW guys will know how to do...
---

R12S 2007 + Sport Pack

F800 ST 2006

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 pm

What size are the bolts? Once you get the bolts out it's possible to put those threaded rivet thingys in but not sure they would be strong enough
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 pm

You could try and centre pop the outside ring of the rivnut in 2 or 3 places then thoroughly lubricate the stud with plus-gas NOT wd 40 and leave to soak for 24 hours then try and unscrew the bolt, failing that cut the bolt off flush and drill it out

surflogic

Postby surflogic » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks for all answers. Will try to experiment with plus gas and hopefully that'll help.
---

R12S 2007 + Sport Pack

F800 ST 2006

Return to “Boxertech”