Roadtecs - the first 1500 miles

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Roadtecs - the first 1500 miles

Postby Gromit » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:48 pm

Blardy larvely. :)

After a full w/e's hooning around in all weathers, which'd give a realistic opinion to be built, just wanted to wax a bit of lyrical over these highly-recommendable hoops.

I'd say they're definitely an improvement on the ubiquitous 020's - as good in the wet (although I'm a wuss in such conditions so read into that what you will) and in the dry - absolutely t'riffic.

Where Bridgestones (I've found this with every pair, from 56's to 020's via 010's) are comfy but 'slimy' the Metzes just seem to dig in. Plenty of grip and confidence-building feel. Very slight vibration at 40-50mph but other than that, very good ride quality.

One other thing - whereas the 020's would get a stressed look when used hard, the Z6's are really smooth, which I reckon bodes well for their longevity and tolerance of heat cycles.

Thanks to Jus for the tip. :)

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:15 pm

Gromit,

I like the Sportec's, on my second pair so would be very interested in how long the roadtec's last as my last rear lasted only 2700 miles before it was bald.

Andrew :twisted:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:30 pm

Andrew - seeing as you're another Flash-tour-experiencee you'll have some idea of the treatment the tyres have experienced. I'd reckon that they're 1/4 worn (in the centre) at most after the aforementioned 1500 miles(ish).

If the rear does 5k it'll be roughly on par with my last 020 which was looking rather sorry at said mileage ie hard up against the wear bars. The bonus, in my book, is a better-feeling tyre for the same wear rate. Game on I'd say. :)

Richard.

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:41 pm

Gromit- That sounds very promising as my last Sportec was nearly to canvas at 2700 miles (ask Tony) he was surprised I made it back to blighty on it (so was I to be honest)

andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:49 am

Hmm - will definetly have to try them after I've killed these 020's. :)
non quod, sed quomodo

theseadog

Roadtecs

Postby theseadog » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:58 am

I'd have to agree I put on a set of Z6's ( having nearly always used B/stone) and so far they seem very good, certainly on a par with the 020's. In the wet they seemed fine, though I've yet to be in any really heavy rain on them ( yes I know that's hard to believe in Scotland ! )

In the dry they are stable and grippy and have gone from edge to edge wtih no problems. If you like the ride from 020's then I'd certainly recommend trying the Roadtecs.

Cheers
Paul
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

stephenb

Postby stephenb » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:37 am

Over three thousand miles have now passed since putting on a pair of Roadtecs, and they are the best tyre I have put on my S. Wet weather grip is good, although like Gromit I to tend to keep it as straight as possible round corners but in the dry, the pegs and rocker covers come off worse without even an inkling something horrible is going to happen. 3k and I think I am still over half way on the tread, fingers crossed a 7 or 8k tyre.

Stephen B

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:39 am

Hi Stephen B,

So you can get the rocker covers down (much respect) Was that on the road or track. Have you ever used Sportec's, if you have it would be nice to know what you think the difference is.

I use Sportec's only cost £150 a pair so the price is good, the only problem is only 2700 miles till they are sha**ed.

Andrew

stephenb

Postby stephenb » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:05 pm

Sadly road, two wonderful corners where I live, never tried Sportecs, but the tred pattern suggests little rain removing ability, If I have the money two sets of wheels Roadtecs on one pair sports on the other for dry track day use only. Please no respect its daft and it will catch me out eventually. But it is fun.

Stephen B

Mick Mac

Postby Mick Mac » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:23 am

I'm interested to read your reports on the Roadtecs. What's the noise like?

I had a Sportec on the front of the SS and I was not impressed with the noise from it. When I first bought the bike, I thought the front wheel bearings were gone!

Mick

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:49 am

Mick Mac wrote:I'm interested to read your reports on the Roadtecs. What's the noise like?

I had a Sportec on the front of the SS and I was not impressed with the noise from it. When I first bought the bike, I thought the front wheel bearings were gone!

Mick

Mick - the 6's seem quiet enough, not really noticed any untoward noises. Then again it's hard to hear myself think above the exhaust noise. :D

stephenb

Postby stephenb » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:51 pm

Latest news Roadtecs now at 5000 miles and still loads of tread, the wet weather was shrugged off with abandon, Cannot praise these tyres too highly

Stephen B
If at first you dont suceed then try try and try again, then stop and offer her money

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:13 pm

hmmm - think I'll try these on the Rockster next, my 020's are apparantly nearly dead.

(in 4Kish miles!!!! :shock: )
non quod, sed quomodo

stephenb

Postby stephenb » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:40 pm

Now at 6500 and still going strong, The wet weather has not given me any cause for alarm, although a chiboard screw nearly called the rear a day but fortunately it went through the tread and not the tyre, these really are the best tyres I have used, will I make 10k on a set fingers crossed.

Stephen B
If at first you dont suceed then try try and try again, then stop and offer her money

uptoere

Postby uptoere » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:56 am

Sorry to rain on the parade, but... I've just put a pair of Z6 roadtecs on the bike following the rave reviews that they seem to be getting on the forum.

I've noted that they are very noisy at low speed. As Mick noted, they sound as if a wheel bearing has failed. My previous pair of 020s were silent in comparison.

I'm still just running them in and getting used to them at the moment. The first 300 miles confirms that they are good in the dry whilst banked over, but with a slight tendancy to understeer compared to the 020.

They seem skittish when upright at high speed, not as well planted and surefooted as Bridgestone.

I'll fiddle with the suspension and see if that picks it up to any extent.

I haven't tried them in the wet yet and I think wet weather performance in a road tyre is more important than dry.

So far the 020 is favourite.

Paul S

Return to “Recommended products/services”