Soft Luggage for R1100S

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Doc

Soft Luggage for R1100S

Postby The Doc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:18 am

Recent Newbie to the Forums having just purchased a 2003 R1100S.

I am going down to Dijon with some mates in June and at the moment have blown the budget on the bike. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any soft luggage for the bike that they may have used as I can't afford the rails and hard panniers at the moment.

I received a tank bag with the bike so at least I'll be able to take some clean boxers!! :lol: (No pun intended)

Cheers

Dave O
Proud Owner - R1100S '53 plate...TOP BOLLOX..

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:57 am

First of all welcome to the forum.

I have some Oxford sovereign panniers that I used before I had the 'S'. When I bought my S it had the panniers rails but like you couldn't afford to get the panniers straight away. Went to France a couple of times using them.

The rails that were already fitted on my bike kept them nicely away from the bodywork so I guess you'd have to use some tape to stop them rubbing on the paintwork, but that will be a problem with any soft panniers that you use.

I wouldn't recommend them if you have a pillion though as the bit that sits over the seat looks bl**dy uncomfortable.

I don't use them now so if you want to borrow or maybe buy them send me a PM to let me know. I'm not far from you.

Nick (aka Skiddy Boxers) pun intended :roll:
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:49 am

I took my pannier rails off once, to see how good the bike looked without them........................................

and forgot to put the sidestand down :oops:

The side pods on the R1100s aren't as structurally secure as most other bikes I've owned, so I'd be loathe to mount soft panniers on them without the rails.

My advice, would be to see if you could borrow a set of rails from someone local-ish and get a cheap pair of Oxford panniers off ebay. (or get the rails off ebay if no-one can do without their rails for a couple of weeks)

I was down near Dijon last August - a very nice region, and one road in particular - Autun to Nevers (near Magny Cours) - I thought was a cracker. I had the GS1200Adv with me and was amazed at the handling and roadholding on Tourance tyres.

Al :D

If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

JoeC

Postby JoeC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:38 pm

How about a Baglux Whopper seat bag.

http://www.baglux.co.uk/whoppa.php

I used it a couple of times and you can fit a lot of stuff in it.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Sorry - I was thinking you had a pillion :oops:

Yeah - a tailpack is the way to go, but to get a decent one you're gonna have to shell out for something like the Bagster one suggested.

But - it should be really secure, won't cause drag or turbulance, and will remove easily on the ferry. They tend to stay drier than panniers too.

Plus - even if you buy BMW panniers later - the tailpack doesn't become redundant.

See if that works .....

Harry

Postby Harry » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:45 am

or a ventura rack and a cargo net.

The Doc

Postby The Doc » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:24 am

Many Thanks lads, at least that's given me food for thought.

I was thinking of maybe a rack (I think they're about £60) and something like a large Givi Topbox (secondhand one of fleabay) maybe.

I am getting a BMW tank bag with the bike from Stu so hopefully that would be enough space for 5 days gear.

Cheers

The Doc

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:42 pm

I had a Givi rack fitted for a while, but then decided it looked really naf........... and took it off :oops:

This pic doesn't do it's hideousness justice................ :oops:

If you ain't taking a pillion - defo go for the tailpack :wink:

See if that works .....

big rob

Postby big rob » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:34 pm

practical but no pretty?

Tidy bike though, are you bringing it to Wales?

Rob :lol:
Last edited by big rob on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:43 pm

Aye - the panniers are fine for getting where I want to go, then take them off until the trip home. I've not used the regular width lids for a long time now - the city lids are enough. :D

Don't think I'll be managing Wales unless it's a last minute thing............... :?

Al :lol:

See if that works .....

Cobbster

Postby Cobbster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi all,

I got one of these just before christmas and rate it highly.

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/VAN ... l_Bag.html

It expands to get quite a bit in.

Cheers, Cobbster
Mick Jagger : "These aren't wrinkles, there laughter lines mate". George Melly : " Nothings that funny!!!!".

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:01 pm

Found the one that I use on my BCR (and R-1).................

http://www.bags-connection.com/hecktaschen/4_Rearbag.html

Currently advertised at €130

Dead simple tie-down method.............. 4 webbing straps that (ideally) you loop around pannier rails, or as shown in the brochure.

Holds tons of gear, and is absolutely secure on the back of the bike.

See if that works .....

The Doc

Postby The Doc » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:35 am

Thanks for all the Great Ideas Lads, I've certaintly got plenty of choices and at least I have till June to get it sorted for the blat to Dijon.....'appy Days.

Just in case any of you are interested I had to buy a load of knew bike clothing and ended up purchasing from a guy in Huddersfield from eBay, Biker-Gear Direct. I decided to go for armoured cordura instead of leather this time round and bought jacket, trousers and gloves.

I received the items today and I must say the Quality of the goods is superb. They are both lined and would be great for summer and winter as they are waterproof and have plenty of armour including back protector.

The Jacket was £49.99, Trousers £29.99 and Leather Gloves £17.99. Combined P&P was only £15. The whole lot stood me £112.

The gloves were on a par if not better than the Alpinestars GP Plus ones I has a few years back with real thick soft leather (17 quid!!)

Here is their eBay shop in case anyone needs any gear for the summer at exceptional value prices.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bike-Gear-Direct

The guy Pete is really friendly and isn't charging me extra postage for changing the jacket for the next size up (Fat Bastard).

Cheers again lads.

The Doc

Return to “Recommended products/services”