Tank bag recommendations?

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Tank bag recommendations?

Postby Paul » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:40 pm

My Wunderlich tank bag has finally given up the ghost. The zip around the top is knackered and the velcro securing it to the tank is bald so it's tome for a replacement. What is the considered opinion of the group?

My thoughts on the subject to date:

1) Baglux: would be the best solution... except that it would hide my very groovy & unique paint job, so sadly it can't be considered

2) BMW 'Egg': well thought out, but small and very expensive

3) Wunderlich: cheaper than the BMW but not very well made. Underside has scratched my tank and the velcro fastening is not secure.

So, save me from shelling out a load of cash for the BMW egg bag by giving me a better suggestion.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:49 pm

Easy (and I know you're not keen but bear with me) - Baglux. :)

Not the prettiest (dunno if they do the 'R90S smoked orange/silver' colour ;) ) but it's tough and it works.

The BM 'egg' is crap if you want to carry anything larger than...er...an egg. Oh...and it's blummin' expensivo too.

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:03 pm

Paul,
I used an Oxford magnetic tank bag on my S by fixing large washers to the inside of the fairing panels with tank tape.
It worked very well.

Mike.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:43 pm

Pelican probably has more options to offer if you haven't already asked the question or done a search over there. The exchange rate still looks quite favourable !
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Archie

Postby Archie » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Paul

Why can't you fix it with duct tape????

Alan

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:47 pm

Duct tape won't stick, after I soaked the old bag in WD40, obviously... :roll:
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:10 am

Paul

Don't know if you've found a replacement yet but the FAMSA bag looks pretty nice and they make a custom fit bag for the S. Scroll down to Art.244 here.

HTH

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:21 am

I ended up buying the FAMSA bag, which is a nice piece of kit, if a little larger than strictly necessary. It comes with a harness you attach to the bike then zip the bag to. It came in at just under £70. I'll post up some pics at the weekend.

Cheers,

Paul

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:28 pm

C'mon then Paul... where are the pics?

BTW, in case you haven't noticed GPS City have put the expected date of availibility back to 21 Feb :roll:

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:05 pm

OK, all you tank bag fetishists out there, here are my FAMSA tank bag pictures:

The bag has a harness which attaches to the tank with a strap around the headstock and clips under the trailing edge of the tank plastics. There is a zip around the perimeter which the bag securely attaches to and a cut out for the petrol filler cap. The underside of the harness has a non slip rubber surface:

With the bag zipped on it looks like this:

There are two side pockets, a rear pocket (used to store the waterproof rain hood) and a map pocket in the top. The piping and logo on the side pockets are scotchlite reflecticve tape. All zips have big ring pulls which you can use wearing winter gloves. There is a shoulder strap which stows neatly around the sides and back when not in use and a handle at the back:

The bag also expands by unzipping around the top. This would be handy if you ever needed to transport a top hat:

I have mounted my GPS on a long RAM arm from the top of the shock absorber, so the GPS nestles just along the top of the bag:

When riding this gives the following view of the cockpit:

The bag was bought from http://www.windingroads.co.uk/ for £78.

I'm very pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone needing a large capacity tank bag. Compared to the Wunderlich I previously owned, it's bigger and attaches more securely to the bike. The shoulder strap stowage is more practical than the Wunderlich and the build quality seems better, with sturdier zips etc.

Hope this helps,

Paul

julian

Postby julian » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:44 am

real men use tail packs
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:48 pm

....and maps (not GPS)

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:27 pm

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:06 pm

Does anyone make a WATERPROOF tank bag??????

I am getting SO fed up with the poxy "shower caps" you get supplied. I'm on my 3rd one in around 8 months for my Bagster city bag. (used every day)
non quod, sed quomodo

gus

Postby gus » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:12 pm

julian wrote:real men use tail packs

Or rucksacks to carry your under grundies!
gus

Return to “Recommended products/services”