GPS Navigation

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:27 am

Adam,

That would be good. Does the Ram cradle have any connectivity options for power and/or sound output, which could be hard wired into the bike/autocom?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:13 am

Paul wrote:Adam,

That would be good. Does the Ram cradle have any connectivity options for power and/or sound output, which could be hard wired into the bike/autocom?

Cheers,

Paul

Err, not as far as I know. To achieve power and sound you'd need to butcher a £50 Garmin car mount as per this ukGSer thread or wait to see if Adventure Motorcycling produce their mount as shown at the bike show.

Touratech also do a mount from £60 to £100 depending on which one you opt for - not sure if it includes power and sound though.

HTH

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:10 pm

Discovered today that GPSWarehouse is in Hanworth, on the route of my daily commute. I thought that it would be rude not to pay a visit, so I popped in and came out £350 poorer :wink:

Anyone seen any confirmed sightings of a motorcycle mount for a Garmin Quest that will work on an S :lol: Once that's sorted, I just need to work out how to upload my precise location into my Boxertrix profile in real time :roll:

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:03 pm

Paul (and other potential Quest owners)

Just found this (via ukGSer forum).

Link here.

Not sure when it will become available but it just so happens I have an account with gpscity, having bought from them earlier this year, so we could potentially save on delivery if we buy a number together. All depends on availability and price in the UK versus the US.

Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:24 pm

adamski49 wrote:Not sure when it will become available but it just so happens I have an account with gpscity, having bought from them earlier this year, so we could potentially save on delivery if we buy a number together. All depends on availability and price in the UK versus the US.

Adam,

I'm up for a mini group buy to save on postage. Drop me a PM with the estimated damage and I'll whizz you a cheque.

Cheers,

Paul

Archie

Postby Archie » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:59 pm

Paul, Adam,

Don't know how it attaches, but if you need any bracketry made I'd be happy to help.

Cheers

Alan

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:20 pm

Archie wrote:Paul, Adam,

Don't know how it attaches, but if you need any bracketry made I'd be happy to help.

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the offer. The cradle mates nicely to brackets from a company called RAM. The one Adam has recommended (see his earlier post on this thread) clamps to the ignition barrel. If you can come up with a more elegant solution than that I'd be interested to hear your ideas. I have ordered one of these since they are fairly inexpensive, but I was thinking of replacing the easily removed thumb screw with a domed nut and nyloc bolt for added security.

cheers,

Paul

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:56 am

Paul wrote:...but I was thinking of replacing the easily removed thumb screw with a domed nut and nyloc bolt for added security.

Paul

I wouldn't bother. Mines been on there for the last 10k without problems. I made a point of doing it up pretty tight with a piece of rubber between the yoke clamp and ignition barrel, then marked the thumbscrew with a dab of tippex to see if it would undo with the vibration - it never moved and the tippex has long since washed away.

I always remove the GPS in it's cradle together with the RAM arm so that all that's left on the bike is the rubber ball sat in front of the ignition - hardly noticeable and not what I would class as 'nickable'.

Not sure if you've seen but I've got a power socket installed into the RHS of the cockpit so that I could leave the power cable attached to the RAM cradle and it all came away as one. This way I could ride the bike without the GPS and not have nasty cables and brackety flapping about.

I'll see what I can find out from GPS City.

Cheers

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:34 am

Adam,

Sounds good. What sort of power socket did you fit, what's it physically mounted on and where did you tapp into the electrickery supply on the bike. Picture might be worth a thousand words, in this particular case :wink:

chers,

Paul

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:41 am

Paul wrote:Picture might be worth a thousand words, in this particular case :wink:

Any help? :D

The socket came from motorworks. Bit pricey at £7 ish, I'm sure you can get them from any auto parts store for less. Being eletrickery challenged I hard wired mine back top the battery terminals using crimp on connectors, cable tied to exisitng cabling where possible.

Note - you will need to replace the fuse with a 0.5A one to avoid frying the GPS unit. This will prevent you using the socket for anything that requires a bit of load such as heated jackets etc.

The smarter electrick types out there can probably point you at a convenient location amongst the fuses and relays that you could take power from, switched if need be.

HTH

Adam

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:25 pm

I collected my Ram mount from GPS Warehouse today to stick my Garmin quest on my bike. I bought the clamp to attach to the ignition barrel:

It works but it does obscure some of the instruments, so I also bought another ram ball which I have attached to the top of my lovely technoflex front shock, which doesn't have the piss poor pre-load adjustment knob from the standard shock. Don't know if this would work with a standard shock or not:

With the arm and cradle mounted, it looks like this:

I think that this is going to be my preferred mounting option, since it does not obscure the other instrumnts and it doesn't move when I move the handlebars. I have offset the ball slightly to the right so that it does not foul the handlebars when I turn them from lock to lock. With the Quest installed, it's perfectly visible with my tank bag in place too.

Top banana kit, but I still need to rig up a power supply and sound output into my autocom. The Quest's battery should last about 20 hours on a single charge, but I would need the LCD back light on in winter to read it, so a power supply from the bike would be desirable. The cradle does appear to have a cut out to retrofit power and sound cables. I'm pretty sure the cable from the car mount supplied with the unit would work, but that would then leave me with a cigarette lighter plug and not very waterproof (or loud) speaker to accomodate into my bike set-up

As you can see in the image above, the Ram cradle allows you to fold back the antenna completely, unlike the Garmin car mount. That means there is no real need to take the Quest out of the cradle when I get off the bike, but simple remove the cradle and arm with the Quest remaining in situ.

Right, where to go now...

Cheers,

Paul

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:34 pm

Paul

Looking good. With the yoke clamp around the ignition you should be able to postion the arm low and close to both the ignition key and the top yoke so that the GPS sits offset.

I had my V mounted to the right as it obscured the least amount of dial but looking at the Quest cradle I will have to mount to the left.

With a bit of luck I'll get mine tomorrow and I'll try and get some pics up as well.

Cheers

Adam

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:30 am

It arrived! :D My quest mount pics:

I tried in front of the ignition key but there's not quite enough play in the ball and arm to get it square on. Offset to the left seems to work quite nicely though. Just need to go for a ride and try it out now.

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:09 am

Adam,

You want the RAM-B-252 "Mirror Mount Base (11 mm hole)" to attach to the top of your shock absorber. £8.99 inc VAT from RAM-man.

Cheers,

Paul

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:17 pm

You're all barmy................buy a map :roll:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Return to “Recommended products/services”