A Wee Grampian Adventure Fri 17th July - Sun 19th July 2020

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BoxerCup R

A Wee Grampian Adventure Fri 17th July - Sun 19th July 2020

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi Boxertrixsters

Following the initial idea and response this is the official thread for 'A Wee Grampian Adventure' in July.

We will set off from The Robins Nest pub car park, Gilmerton Road, in the South of Edinburgh at 09:30

https://uk.local.yahoo.com/info-2055020 ... ins%20nest

We will ride West around the A720 Edinburgh Bypass and over the Queensferry Crossing then up the M90 before turning right and taking more interesting roads through Fife and stop for lunch at 'The Clattering Brig' cafe near Fetercairn

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... tland.html

From here we will ride over the Cairn O'Mount and onto Banff for our overnight stay in The Fife Lodge Hotel

https://www.fifelodgehotel.com

When booking rooms here mention Boxertrix to get a 10% discount on the B&B rate I have negotiated :wink:

We will eat in the hotel where the food is very good and they have a decent whisky collection too :occasion5:

Next morning, Sat 18th July we will head West through Dufftown then turn South at Tomintoul and ride one of, if not thee best routes I know following the A939 past the Lecht ski slopes then picking up the B976 to Crathie and then the A93 past Braemar Castle and through Braemar itself before climbing again and passing through the Glenshee Ski Slopes. Onto Blairgowrie and then skirting the edge of Perth before arriving back in Edinburgh Sat evening. I will book us all into a lovely restaurant I know in Edinburgh, The Salisbury Arms were the food, wine and service is superb :D once I have definite numbers.

We will stop for coffees and 'comfort breaks' over the two days when required.

If you want to ride up and stay the Thursday night 16th July refreshed and ready for the start Friday morning I'll leave you to book your own accommodation in Edinburgh because they are many and varied for all tastes and budgets. We can meet up for a pint to start the adventure off in a local pub on Thursday night too if anyone fancies that. Trip advisor or booking.com are my go to sites :wink:

If you are staying the Sat night that would be great too so we can talk bollox about the amazing roads and scenery we will have just experienced 8)

I will post menus from 'The Clattering Brig', Fife Lodge Hotel and Salisbury Arms when I receive them for pre-orders, which I will collect from you and forward on to the relevant restaurant.

Over to you :thumbup:

Please Only Post Here If You Are Intending To Come, These Threads Can Get Outta Hand When Trying To Keep A Tab On Who's Attending etc, Thank You.
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

stoney

Re: A Wee Grampian Adventure Fri 17th July - Sun 19th July 2020

Postby stoney » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:35 pm

A child free weekend in my calendar so I’m gonna come on this! Miss those roads - it’s been a while.
Andy

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:01 am

stoney wrote:A child free weekend in my calendar so I’m gonna come on this! Miss those roads - it’s been a while.

First on the list Andy :wink: , be great to have you along :thumbright:

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:38 am

Thanks for organising this John. Count me in. I'll investigate lodgings for the Thursday and Saturday nights in Edinburgh and post details on here in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:38 pm

Paul wrote:Thanks for organising this John. Count me in. I'll investigate lodgings for the Thursday and Saturday nights in Edinburgh and post details on here in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul

Great stuff :bounce:

Cheers

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:35 pm

Three more riders (non Boxertrixsters ) have confirmed they are coming on this. One of the guys is a joiner at my work and his two Mates are coming. They are all Eastern Europeans who speak very good English and all live and work in Scotland :wink: Its gonna be a Multi national group ride :bounce:

stoney

Postby stoney » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:50 pm

Paul wrote:Thanks for organising this John. Count me in. I'll investigate lodgings for the Thursday and Saturday nights in Edinburgh and post details on here in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Cheers,

Paul

Interested in what you find Paul. I’ll be staying in Edinburgh Thursday and Saturday night.
Andy

Paul

Postby Paul » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:42 am

Hi Andy,

I'm booked into The Stair Arms Hotel, Pathhead, EH37 5TX for the Thursday night. I'm still debating whether to stick around Edinburgh for the Saturday night or head off into the hills for further exploration of Scotlandshire.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:14 am

Paul wrote:Hi Andy,

I'm booked into The Stair Arms Hotel, Pathhead, EH37 5TX for the Thursday night. I'm still debating whether to stick around Edinburgh for the Saturday night or head off into the hills for further exploration of Scotlandshire.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul, Shame you couldn't get any closer for the thursday night, we could've met up for a pint :wink: Be great if you can stay the Saturday night before heading off to see more of Bonnie Scotland, the restaurant is well worth it :D

Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:03 am

Well, if you can suggest somewhere closer, with reasonably secure bike parking, I'll change the booking. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage not knowing where you are, so knowing what constitutes "closer" :wink:

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Paul wrote:Well, if you can suggest somewhere closer, with reasonably secure bike parking, I'll change the booking. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage not knowing where you are, so knowing what constitutes "closer" :wink:

Aye, you wouldn't know where I am in Edinburgh :lol: but I put the start point and that is round the corner from us :thumbleft:

Found a couple on booking.com within 20 mins walk of the pub :wink: :-

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/arden- ... al;ucfs=1&

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/emeral ... map_closed

Paul

Postby Paul » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:45 pm

I've cancelled my booking at the Stair Arms for Thursday night and re-booked at the Arden guest house, as per your suggestion.

Cheers,

Paul

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:52 am

Hi Paul, Great stuff Mate :occasion5:

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:07 am

As has been mentioned - thanks for setting this up!

Not sure if I can make it - think I am back at work that week for a short spell.

I’m sure it will be great!

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi John, well done , to keep up appearances I`m in for the Friday ride and evening jobbie but Saturday i will be heading home as we have family and grandbairns arriving at ours..

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Days Out”