Eire 201x

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Eire 201x

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:50 am

Copied post from the Welsh Weekend one to continue an Eire thread

Boxered wrote:
eyore wrote: I would be more than happy to arrange it having done so previously on a Triumph forum when a great time was had by all in 2011,so much so that they are coming back again in 2014.
Access to Ireland is so easy via Holyhead or Fishguard/ Pembroke and a little known fact is the ferry can be absolutely free if your spouse shops in Tesco as Clubcard points are worth 4 x their face value with Stena and Irish Ferries,

I would be up for an Eire trip, depending on dates, I personally like our regular annual weekends, Wales in April, Borders in May and Yorks in Sept usually.
I reckon July and August are best avoided because of peoples summer hols/ kids off school etc, so that leaves June as a likely timeframe?
I sadly couldn't make the southwest trip, but I would like to attend if there was to be another? Would October be too late for a trixter weekend?

Steve

Being honest Steve, nowadays October is often quite nice, certainly the first or second week.

The Eire thing, and perhaps the Irish contingent can confirm if this is "doable" as a weekend, could be cross over at South Wales, Fishguard - Rosslare. Stop overnight, ride up through the Wicklow mountains, stopover near/in Dublin crossover at Dublin/Dun Loaghaire to Holyhead.. any of the Scottish guys that wanted to join could come down on the Stranraer to Belfast/Larne crossing? It would mean having effectively two ride outs one for the ones from the north and one for the guys from the South. With a group dinner for all on the Saturday night? When I checked the ferry was about £80 return (for the different routes) now whether we couold get a group discount I don't know but as Eyore has said those with Tesco Club points etc could well get free crossings

So Irish guys do we have representation here to cover/organise north and south? :) along the lines of <finger in the air> http://goo.gl/maps/j3STF

This allows for at least one of the ports to be reasonably near all really.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 am

Just had a quick look, P&O sail from Liverpool to Dublin for £69 return for bike and rider.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:17 am

Boxered wrote:Just had a quick look, P&O sail from Liverpool to Dublin for £69 return for bike and rider.

Steve

For the route I proposed you, and me, would have to ride to Fishguard, stop overnight say in Wexford as recommended by Dai, then ride up next day to Dublin before either getting the ferry to Liverpool (which does take a while) or the fast ferry from Eire to Holyhead and an hour on the A55 :)

I stayed at a huge hotel complex outside of Dublin once, ISTR it being called Citywest or something, either way it was a golf complex. They did awesome value prices and were a taxi ride into Dublin if required.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 am

Ok,my reccomendation is to avoid Dublin like the plague other than as a port to land into . Its like all big cities ,chaotic .Anyway anyone coming from the North of England or Scotland into Larne or Belfast can be in Dublin in little over 1.5 hrs, and avoid Dublin by staying on the M50 .
The best roads ,scenery and riding in Ireland are in the West from Cork riight up to Donegal,however that's impractical for a weekend, so.........

My suggested base is http://www.woodenbridgehotel.com/
which is halfway between Rosslare and Dublin, so easy access for everyone with nice riding in the area .
The lodge is modern and literally right across the road and part of the same complex

http://www.woodenbridgehotel.com/lodge-rooms.html

I can easily stick up some proposed routes as I know the area well from my Lancia Club event organising days.

October is fine with me, just bear in mind the shorter days.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:52 pm

eyore wrote:Ok,my reccomendation is to avoid Dublin like the plague other than as a port to land into . Its like all big cities ,chaotic .Anyway anyone coming from the North of England or Scotland into Larne or Belfast can be in Dublin in little over 1.5 hrs, and avoid Dublin by staying on the M50 .
The best roads ,scenery and riding in Ireland are in the West from Cork riight up to Donegal,however that's impractical for a weekend, so.........

My suggested base is http://www.woodenbridgehotel.com/
which is halfway between Rosslare and Dublin, so easy access for everyone with nice riding in the area .
The lodge is modern and literally right across the road and part of the same complex

http://www.woodenbridgehotel.com/lodge-rooms.html

I can easily stick up some proposed routes as I know the area well from my Lancia Club event organising days.

October is fine with me, just bear in mind the shorter days.

Looks a nice place ... so come on guys any interest in this happening?
--
Steve Parry

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Even though it will probably take me longer to get there than it takes you Steve, yes for sure, I'm in, and pretty flexible on dates.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 pm

slparry wrote:
eyore wrote:.

... so come on guys any interest in this happening?

Possibly , I might have to do a loop around Larne to make it feel like a weekend away though ... :wink:

eyore wrote:

Totally OT do you still have any Lancias / or what model did you have ?

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

bobtail

Postby bobtail » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:19 pm

I'd be tempted, Steve. Are we talking about this year? or next?
Are we there yet?

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 pm

I have just been informed that I have a weekend away in Cumbria in early October so that's probably me out, for this year at least :(

Looks like a great weekend though!

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

The blur of the landscape

Every nerve aware

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:33 pm

[quote="nab 301Totally OT do you still have any Lancias / or what model did you have ?[/quote]

I had loads over the years. Particularly liked Fulvias had 1.2s, 1.3S, 1.6HF which was the last one I held onto till about 4 years ago. Also had a Montecarlo and an Integrale .

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:46 pm

eyore wrote:[quote="nab 301Totally OT do you still have any Lancias / or what model did you have ?

I had loads over the years. Particularly liked Fulvias had 1.2s, 1.3S, 1.6HF which was the last one I held onto till about 4 years ago. Also had a Montecarlo and an Integrale .

Nice ! 8)

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:14 pm

I'd think it's possibly more a next year thing as it's a bit short for this year with existing commitments for people etc?
--
Steve Parry

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 pm

I think 2014 would be good , as you say Steve its kind of short notice at this stage and most people need to plan ahead.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:34 pm

eyore wrote:I had loads over the years. Particularly liked Fulvias had 1.2s, 1.3S, 1.6HF which was the last one I held onto till about 4 years ago. Also had a Montecarlo and an Integrale .

Oooh, Lancias. Which version of the Integrale did you have?

eyore

Postby eyore » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Just a 1990 16v in Nero Metallico. Unbelievable how those things stick to the road with virtually no electrickery.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Return to “Days Out”