tinitus

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Ruffy

tinitus

Postby Ruffy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

Hi el-nicko,has your tinitus permanately stayed away since not wearing ear plugs coz if it has thay will be my plan when the weather picks up,like you i fecking hate the constant noise you have to live with nite and day regards tim :(
ruffy

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Re: tinitus

Postby el-nicko » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:15 am

Ruffy wrote:Hi el-nicko,has your tinitus permanately stayed away since not wearing ear plugs coz if it has thay will be my plan when the weather picks up,like you i fecking hate the constant noise you have to live with nite and day regards tim :(

Hi Tim, sorry I'm so late with a reply. Sad to say it was back the next day; with a vengance. :cry: Deepest sympathy mate. Apparently it's a growing problem amongst the young with no known cure and still very little information as to what it actualy is. From talking to other sufferers I know it can take many forms and varies in intensity from one person to another. Some poor souls get it that bad they're on the verge of suicide. Mine, (a high-pitched whistle) does stop occasionaly for no particular reason but soon kicks in again. An old bloke I used to work with reckoned that if he lay in bed and tried very hard to just listen to his, (not as easy as it sounds 'cos your mind starts to wander almost immediatly but you can extend the periods with practice) it used to abate, not at once, but sometimes during the next day. Out of desperation I've tried it myself but I cant say it works 'cos as I say mine comes and goes anyway. Here's hopeing they find a cure soon eh?
Last edited by el-nicko on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 am

Best cure I've found is a nice bottle of Shiraz and a very late night, Usually straight to sleep, but as you can prob tell by the time of this post, it's not working tonight :roll:
I understand the mental anguish of some folk, I really do.........high pitch whine like yours el-nicko

Cause? 25+ years of motorcycling, noisy work environment, firearms, and too close to barking dogs.........even WITH earplugs....
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:28 am

Bikerhoss wrote:Best cure I've found is a nice bottle of Shiraz and a very late night, Usually straight to sleep, but as you can prob tell by the time of this post, it's not working tonight :roll:
I understand the mental anguish of some folk, I really do.........high pitch whine like yours el-nicko

Cause? 25+ years of motorcycling, noisy work environment, firearms, and too close to barking dogs.........even WITH earplugs....

I must have been lucky - about 20 yrs in the presence of turbocharged Diesel engines, with just a slight aural deterioration at a particular frequency. Worn ear-plugs from day one, though.

Always worn earplugs on the bike too.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Phil Thomas

Tinitus

Postby Phil Thomas » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:08 am

I suffered badly a few years ago,and it can be very debilitating. However, I recently realised that it was nowhere near as bad these days, since I have been on medication for high blood pressure.

Just a thought...I still get it from time to time, although not as severely and for shorter periods. Otherwise, I would agree with bottle of Shiraz.

Regards to all,
Phil Thomas

Vince

Postby Vince » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 am

Apparently, the test to see if you really have a bad case of tinnitus is to run a tap (water), if the noise of the tap drowns out the tinnitus, you don't have a bad case. However, different taps give different volumnes so not sure that it's a valid test.

I've just grown used to mine, caused no doubt from my early years in the metal fabrication/welding industry with grinder and hammers ringing off the steel. Maybe a few to many loud bands and clubs.
I wear ear plug on the bike and have done for the last 20 years or so, but once those tiny hairs have flattened your buggered really.

Apparently caused by ghost input from the ear, a bit like like when an amputee has lost a limb, but still wants to scratch it. I recall my Grandfather who lost his leg in a bike accident, said exactly that. he's get an itch on the foot of the aluminium leg he had and it would drive him mad!

At a stand still on the bike with ear plugs in I can hear it, and whenever it's really quiet.
You just have to mentally overcome it, or plug the music into your ear oles just loud enough to over come it IMO.
\v/
2015 S1000rs
2007 R12r
2007 R1200RTSE
2005 R1200ST (2007~2009)
1996 VFR750FT (1996~2007)
1994 RF600 (1994~1996)
GPZ750
X7
DT175
TS50

Ruffy

tinitus

Postby Ruffy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 am

El nicko thanks for getting back to me,i'm not really surprised it came back but we can live in hope can't we,my tinitus is more than likely caused by having MS which is now 17 years since diagnosis so as long as thats as bad it gets i can live with that! :)
ruffy

bigblackfalco

Re: tinitus

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Ruffy wrote:El nicko thanks for getting back to me,i'm not really surprised it came back but we can live in hope can't we,my tinitus is more than likely caused by having MS which is now 17 years since diagnosis so as long as thats as bad it gets i can live with that! :)

The other thing to try is the herbal medicine 'Gingko' which opens up the blood vessels. I can vouch for this making tinitus less noticeable ... like a non-pescription version of blood pressure tablets.
You can buy gingko from all health food stores including Holland & Barrett. Make sure it is the high grade version (worth paying more for).
The added bonus with Gingko is it makes you feel more alert as you get better blood flow to brain etc.
HTH :)
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Ruffy

tinitus

Postby Ruffy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Ive heard of that before,maybe worth a try theres a holland and barett in leicester which i'll try :D
ruffy

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I tried the earphones with music playing on the bike i had to have the music up so loud it caused me to suffer for a couple of days, also i couldn't hear what was happening around me just like when i put in ear plugs
Now i do without but have found it has improved since i stopped wearing my Caberg flip front lid i now wear either my Roof boxer [old type] or my Craft RXx3[simson bandit look alike] i'm not sure why but neither of these lids press on my ears i think this has something to do with it
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:01 am

So you don't rate your Caberg flip front then Dai? Their helmets get some very good reviews. I was looking at them for my next lid.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:47 am

el-nicko wrote:So you don't rate your Caberg flip front then Dai? Their helmets get some very good reviews. I was looking at them for my next lid.

Ann likes it i did less than a thousand miles in it before it got put in the wardrode

Another lid i like is the schuberth speed no longer available sadly

I have a old shoei shaped head the old RF200 fitted like a glove i never did find a arai that fitted and new shoei's don't fit if you have the same shaped head try a Craft if you can live with the looks the 57 fit's me as well as my old RF200 in the same size and is just as comphy

EDIT it's a 58 not 57
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe

http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie

http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 pm

I suffer from tinitus, I blame ac dc, never been the same since they let that fcucking canon off in my ear 30 odd years ago. I try not to focus on it. Permanent ringing all the time. learnt to live with it :(
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Days Out”