BMW Bike Club 2012 Better Riding Days

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

damoace

Postby damoace » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:19 pm

Some pictures from the day. It was plain from the relentless hammering on the top of my tent during Sunday night that we would have a wet start to day, and that's exactly what happened.

View from the pit lane:

Out on track it was little better with sudden rain showers popping up now and then. The track felt pretty green to be honest and corners felt ok on some laps but 'orrible on others.

Trying not to look like a total gopper (and mostly failing):

Not much standing water which is a good indication that the new track was built with good attention to levels and runoff etc. Although for much of the morning there was no real dry-line. Small sections of the lap would dry off and then just wet-down again in the next shower. Not the worst conditions I've ever ridden in but frustrating none the less.

The track here was just a thin sheet of water all the way from one side to the other. Not splashy exactly but wet enough to need a little extra patience in the turns:

Whilst hiding from the rain and letting my boots empty out some, I spotted an R12S in BCR colours leaving the pitlane. It looks great to my eye!

Just before lunch, it stopped raining long enough for the track to dry in time for my run on an S1000RR. the power of that bike is nothing short of intoxicating. It took a minute for me to realise that it was in 'Race' and that this was the reason that I could'nt keep the front end on the floor. One small recalibration of the wrist later (and a bit more climbing on the tank) I was galloping around like I did when I got my first Gixxer. Those were the (dangerous) days.

With the S1000 out of my system, I could get down to the business of running the BCR and finding out if I've been making it better or worse. I came to the conclusion that its improving all the time - as is my ability to get the best out of it:

So far, the bike is moving in the right direction. It really needs the crankcase breather mod (the oil filler cap is lifting with the pressure) and the brakes need sharpening up - not sure how just yet but it'll be sorted before the next one.

Great day from my point of view, even with the rain.
R1200GS - 'El Bastardo' - The Exploder.
R1100S BCR - 'Flashart the Misguided Missile'.
KTM 990SMT- 'Scratch' - Hoonery Assured.

www.bmrider.com - The cobbled part of the information superhighway.

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 pm

looks like it was a good event :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:50 am

Wet track days are always a disappointment but looked like the afternnon session dried up nicely.

Crackin photos of the BCR but in the last image it looks like the front wheel is not in line with the rear :shock: May be an optical illusion I guess?

With regard to the brakes what pads are you running? I use Brembo sintered pads and found them much better than the OEM pads. Bit expensive compared to others but well worth it IMO.

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:54 am

Yeah - good pics, and good stance on the BCR.

I think you're seeing countersteering in practice in the second of the BCR pics. Very noticible in some pics I have at the TT.

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Blackal wrote:Yeah - good pics, and good stance on the BCR.

I think you're seeing countersteering in practice in the second of the BCR pics.
Al :)

Al

I must admit I did think that but didn't think it would be so pronounced?

Good pic anyway.

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

quicksilver

Postby quicksilver » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi Damon...

Yes the boxer cup r12s looked nice...
But i prefer the red and silver colgate scheme...
As you can see from your first picture...
!
!
!
! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Am i just biased :idea: :idea:

YES :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Andy... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Catch me if you can...........
R1200GSA for the road...R1200s for the track, Colgate sport-pack, Power Commander,
K&N,Full each cylinder Mapped, Full Remus System,
Ohlins set up at MCT, Dyno-Jet Quickshifter, ;-)

damoace

Postby damoace » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Hi everyone, just catching up...

@DT: The bike is straight (apart from the 1/4" or so front to back runout that they have by design). It's something that I checked a while back and occasionally throw a string over to just make sure. I suspect you can see an optical illusion thats set up in the photo. Counter steering produces such a small steering angle that I'm not sure you'd be able to spot it. For sure, my bars are pretty straight ahead after I get to the apex on the way out of the turn. When I look down mid-corner at my headstock marks, they are always with a couple of degrees of dead-ahead. I dont look on the way in though :)
My current brake pads are EBC Sintered Copper ones but to be honest, I'm not impressed with them. They bite ok initially but then get wishy-washy until the speed comes down and then they are ok again. The disc's are horribly dirty looking too - much as if the pads are 'smearing' a layer of crud onto the disc instead of cleaning the pad face with abrasion. On taking some advice and doing some research, I'll be replacing the pads with Organic compound ones and the discs with iron ones instead of the OEM Stainless Steel ones. It appears that the organic pad/iron disc conbination is best for overall brake bite/retardation force but may suffer from heat induced fade when pushed (and they can rust too). Its about a £200 upgrade and I'll let you know how I get on, I may need to move to DOT5.1 to bring the temps under control but I'll leave that 'till I've tested it all witht he new disc and pads.

@Blackal: Thanks for the comment on stance. At 6'4" my body position is something that I traditionally sturggle with so I've been doing a lot of work to get it right (bum position, feet position, thigh, shoulder and head placement, etc). What has helped is that I got my seat re-shaped and that single thing has helped more than anything in sorting out some of my positioning issues. Top marks for AR Pound upholstry in Baldock :)

@QS: You probably are biased chap but understandably so, If I had an R12S I'd be baised towards it too!...

Still like BMW R/W/B bikes though. I'd have a Motorsprt HP2 Sport tomorrow if I could afford the devorce settlement as well as the bike!! :)
R1200GS - 'El Bastardo' - The Exploder.

R1100S BCR - 'Flashart the Misguided Missile'.

KTM 990SMT- 'Scratch' - Hoonery Assured.

www.bmrider.com - The cobbled part of the information superhighway.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Got Ride magazine today in the mail and flicked through it. There is a n article about the BMW track day at Snetterton. I recon a few Trixters might recognise themselves. Fortunately neither damoace nor me made for good photos. I retired early and damoace is too lanky to fit in 1 photo :D
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:33 pm

''I suspect you can see an optical illusion thats set up in the photo. Counter steering produces such a small steering angle that I'm not sure you'd be able to spot it''

No illusion, the angle is larger than you thought and yes you can!
As seen most months in your fav bike mag at WH Smiths! :wink:
It is weird I admit, to see the wheel pointing one way and the bike tearing around the corner the other way. I have even seen this when the front wheel is in the air half the the corner! Will put up the Youtube link is I can find it again.

Return to “Days Out”