Welsh Weekend 2014

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:40 pm

The best weekend we have had for a long time was Minehead,because it was a different venue altogether.I think we have done that part of Wales to death.This is why I have not bothered booking.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Boxered wrote:C'mon guys, we've had this conversation before

http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12973

all valid comments and from this old thread we all know who prefers what, we are where we are and non returnable deposits have been paid so you either want to join us or you don't, no problem either way.

Just my 2p worth

Steve

It's a moveable feast.

I would have liked to have been ASKED and not had the decision made with out the input of me and other Trixter members.

Had a pole been presented I would have voted to my preference and then on the the out come made a decision.

Enjoy the WPH, we may go to Wales and stay in BTWS and meet up at some time or may be we we wont.

I would have just liked to have had a choice, if this string of posts upset people who have for what ever reason paid or paid a deposit a year in advance tough shit.
Last edited by Boxadog 2000 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

popsky

Postby popsky » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 pm

bikemad99 wrote:The best weekend we have had for a long time was Minehead,because it was a different venue altogether.I think we have done that part of Wales to death.This is why I have not bothered booking.

Cheers Reg much appreciated :lol:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:50 pm

eyore wrote:[quote="Dog Tyred]

Slightly odd to all stay in same place and then all wonder off and do our own thing :? I thought it was supposed to be an opportunity to meet up, not all bugger off!

DT[/quote]

I'd have thought the same thing. :?[/quote]

Well said

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Boxadog 2000 wrote:I would have liked to have been ASKED and not had the decision made with out the input of me and other Trixter members.

Had a pole been presented I would have voted to my preference and then on the the out come made a decision.

Enjoy the WPH we may go to Wales and stay in BTWS and meet up at some time or may be we we wont.

I just like to have a choice if this string of posts upset people who have for what ever reason paid or paid a deposit a year in advance tough shit

As I said Bob, all are valid comments, I am not upset at these posts, but we are where we are, I'm not trying to defend any position nor do I seek to marginalize anyone else's.
Hope to see you both soon in Wales or the Borders.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 pm

My parting comment.

We should not be where we are :evil:

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:07 am

I and, I am sure, the few people who kindly organise our weekends away would love other members to come up with some alternative venues & then sort out hotels & routes etc. It ain`t rocket science ,and any of us who have done it before would offer any help needed.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:53 am

Sorry - this is all bollox............ :evil:

I'm grateful for anyone to make the effort to arrange a weekend away, and wouldn't stay away just cos the location wash't my first choice. In addition to the person who has stewardship over the organisation of any weekend - THe WP appear to have made a good effort in the last few years - to provide the group with a good venue.

Remember one member who lived close to Hawes, never been to a Boxertrix weekend anywhere, and asked that the Hawes weekend was a week earlier/later to suit his own personal commitments? :roll:

Talk of cancelling the WP? Show some integrity for God's sake! There was talk of cancelling 2? years ago due to fuel shortages - to hell with the hotel and employees, eh?

Without going back through threads to check, I'm pretty sure that Steve Parry found the WP iniitially, arranged a good deal with them, and has been at the forefront in organising each successive year's Wales weekend.

I think half of this thread does Steve a disservice, and I'd understand if he was a bit pissed off - I know I would be.

(sorry for the rambling - had a few beers :oops: )

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:15 am

Got to agree with blackal on this this is all bollox

If i was Steve now i would be thinking f it this is enough sort your own weekend Steve's not like that he's still being civil and decent about thing's

The way i see it if you want a weekend in B - y -C bloody well arrange it

Myself and Ann will be going to the WPH if nobody else turns up so be it to be totally honest it might be nice to have a quiet weekend

However i do agree with Reg Minehead was a great weekend thanks to Phill for arranging it
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:42 am

I am not suggesting for one minute that the weekend at the WP should be cancelled, and yes Steve has done a sterling job of organization and getting a cracking deal on the accommodation.

As I have stated It would have been nice to have been asked about the location.

When we do the Hawes weekend there is a multiple choice of accommodation, something to suit all tastes and pockets.

To Mr Parry,
If I have caused offense I publicly apologize

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 am

There's all sorts of accommodation in Llangollen there's a hostel just down the road from the white pheasant that charged me £18 a night including cereal and toast breakfast a couple of years ago
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe

http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie

http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Boxadog 2000 wrote:I am not suggesting for one minute that the weekend at the WP should be cancelled, and yes Steve has done a sterling job of organization and getting a cracking deal on the accommodation.

As I have stated It would have been nice to have been asked about the location.

When we do the Hawes weekend there is a multiple choice of accommodation, something to suit all tastes and pockets.

To Mr Parry,
If I have caused offense I publicly apologize

no offence taken Bob :)

As Dai said there are many other place to stay in Llangollen, from hostels and hotels, to B&B's or campsites, certainly far more than at BYC, so if anyone wanted to stay elsewhere than the WPH and congregate at the WPH for the group dinner (as per the RO in BYC) then that's no probs.

There's also a selection of at least a dozen bars and wine bars within easy strolling distance from the WPH, along with a selection of various food outlets from take aways to fine dining, Indian, Chinese, Italian, European, British food outlets, I believe the local steam railway even do a dining car where they'll ferry you up and down the line while you dine, if anyone wants to try elsewhere. As I said the UKGS guys stay at the Hand in the middle of the town, which I find personally not as nice as the WPH, and would worry a little more about the bikes in the car park overnight, but they go off in groups exploring the town and gravitate back to the Hand for later drinks. We have always tended to not venture from the WPH.

Trust me though, as a local I can guarantee that there is far more going on in Llangollen for an evening out than BYC.

My primary reasons for previously offering the WPH as a venue were initially because I knew the place as I'd worked there as head chef from 92 to 97 (I worked at the Hand too in the 1970's and it's just not as nice), it's slight distance from the town meant a little more security for the bikes of a weekend evening, it was big enough to accommodate a large group, it offered the group private dining for the group dinner and that they'd offered such a fantastic deal with the £49.99 per person per night for dinner, bed and breakfast, including use of the spa for parteners attending that didn't want to go on the ride out. That value and the central proximity within the UK is I guess one of the reasons the event has always been so well attended?

I really really don't mind moving elsewhere. I may be misremembering but I seem to recall next years event was discussed just after we had this years weekend, as the WPH got in touch early to offer us two dates and one was selected in preference to the other? I really didn't want to cause any ill will or put anyone off attending.

I'm feeling a bit guilty now, probably a bit of over enthusiasm from this years event being seemingly enjoyed by all?

Many have already booked and paid deposits etc which is why I suggested leaving as is and looking elsewhere in 2015? As I mentioned before I'd chatted with a hotel on Anglesey if anyone's interested?

Or if one of our members in South Wales can find somewhere down there perhaps that would be an alternative?

Even could be a alternating north / south Wales event? Which is why I suggested we talk about it properly next year, face to face discussions are always going to be mroe productive and less prone to misunderstandings than online discussion.

There's miles of hidden routes and vistas in north Wales to see, that I regularly use. BoxerEd and I have shied from including them into routes because some of them require going along smaller roads and as I understand it some don't like using smaller roads, which is a real shame as some of the views are awesome. There's always a limit to how many fast A roads are available in any region really, and of course as new members join they get to ride any duplicated routes for often the first time. I ride many of those routes many times a year and never tire of the road, the challenge or the views.

I've still got a hankering for us to have a Eire event, fast ferry over from Holyhead or Fishguard is only a couple of hours nowadays!
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Rossy1100S

Postby Rossy1100S » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:24 pm

Can only offer my thanks for what Mr Parry has organised for us all over the last couple of years at the WP in Llangollen, price is excellent and as someone else has said, the staff at the WP have been very good and adapted well to our visits

If I had done all of the hotel organising, I would have been a bit pissed off by some of the comments, I think Steve's done a sterling job all round, but will be surprised if he's inclined to bother again in 2015!

Also, there is the route planning aspect of the weekends, something else that I think some people take for granted, again a great job done by t'other Steve in this too.

I usually bring 4 mates on the weekend and they all say it's a brilliant weekend.

Oh and by the way, Mr Parry mentioned that he'd started making arrangements with the WP for 2014 straight after the one in April this year, I'd have thought that was perhaps the opportune time to mention all the failings of the hotel in question

Like Boxered says, if you want to come then do, if not then don't bother, simples, but don't knock all the work that goes into the planning of the weekends

My 2p and breath..............

Geoff

eyore

Postby eyore » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:29 pm

slparry wrote:
Boxadog 2000 wrote:I've still got a hankering for us to have a Eire event, fast ferry over from Holyhead or Fishguard is only a couple of hours nowadays!

Absolutely and I would be more than happy to arrange it having done so previously on a Triumph forum when a great time was had by all in 2011,so much so that they are coming back again in 2014.
Access to Ireland is so easy via Holyhead or Fishguard/ Pembroke and a little known fact is the ferry can be absolutely free if your spouse shops in Tesco as Clubcard points are worth 4 x their face value with Stena and Irish Ferries,
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Rossy1100S wrote:If I had done all of the hotel organising, I would have been a bit pissed off by some of the comments, I think Steve's done a sterling job all round, but will be surprised if he's inclined to bother again in 2015!

No one's said anything negative about Steve's organising of the hotel - if they have, then I've clearly missed it? You saying just because he's gone to the effort of getting us a good hotel rate etc that we should like the place, regardless? His time has been very much appreciated by all who've been along on the weekends.

Also, nowhere has anyone said anything which would be taken as personal - sure there has been some reasonably forthright opinion expressed but what's the point of a discussion forum if folk can't do so? If there had been any nasty comments aimed specifically at people, then you can be sure that they'd know about it via moderation.

When Steve announced immediately after this year's Wales weekend that we were 'booked' in for next year, I did mention something along the lines of 'why don't we try somewhere else perhaps?' By that point, a fair few people had booked up at the WP for next year and the snowball was gaining momentum.

As I've said earlier in this thread, I much prefer B-y-C - for me it's got a nicer atmosphere. That's purely subjective of course but hey, there you go. It's an opinion based on staying at both places, I don't expect everyone (or anyone) to agree with me of course but that's 8)

Return to “Days Out”