Front Wheel Spindle

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

julian

Postby julian » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:08 pm

Bob

You can borrow my wheel spindle if you can give me a piece of metal bar to shove in there whilst it's out.

Julian

winger

Postby winger » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:17 pm

Hi Babble

You know in one sense your right,you sure as hell can't tell the difference when you add a few titainium bolts or for that matter anything else,yes the induct makes some difference as do the Dymags,K+N,Brakes,carbon fibre this and that but all put together makes a serious difference,mine just feels like a BM 1100s it's what i'm used to,Gus rode it a few weeks back the look on his face told me different,is it all worth it??? is anything worth any anything??,for years i've always wanted to build something just a tad different got half way with an old FJ 1200 and have got a little further along with the S,but still shit loads to do,big bore motor carbon fibre front wish bone anyone!!!.

Chris

Boxadog 2000

Titanium & Carbon Fibre

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:06 pm

Carbon fibre front wish bone ohhhhhh aahhhhhhh sorry think ive just made a mess. :lol:

Like I said I aint doing it for the flash factor I just dont like bits that go rusty and I am a fanatical polisher.

Never dived Malaysia did spend two years on the Great Barrier Reef though great scenery but no wrecks worth a dam.

Bob

gus

Postby gus » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:11 pm

Carbon fibre telever,a robbery will be happening at a local branch of barclays very soon then.Keep en peeeled!
gus

winger

Postby winger » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:36 pm

There ain't any flash factor in a carbon fibre front wish bone you can't even see the bugger,how and who pays for it?? well thats summat else.

Chris

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:28 pm

winger wrote:There ain't any flash factor in a carbon fibre front wish bone you can't even see the bugger.
Chris

Like you can see an induct/chip/sj air filter thingy/titanium wheel spindle??? :lol:

I'd rather go for feel than looks every time. ;)

Er...hang on a mo...the missus is coming..I didn't say that. :D :D

babble53

Postby babble53 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:35 pm

Er...hang on a mo...the missus is coming..I didn't say that.

lol :D

minivin

Postby minivin » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:47 pm

think the telelever comes under un-sprung weight as it's basically the same as a swingarm and thats under un-sprung....... so these little factors slowly add up
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:04 pm

minivin wrote:think the telelever comes under un-sprung weight as it's basically the same as a swingarm and thats under un-sprung....... so these little factors slowly add up

When I built my Caterham 7 we once got onto this very topic at a post trackday club meet - getting guys' thoughts on this (some experts who know a hell of a lot more than me about this) it appears that suspension components, including wishbones (swinging arms etc in our case) are taken as half-unsprung weight.

gus

Postby gus » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:19 pm

I normally go for a nice long look then a good slow feel,especially if the missus is asleep.Have i said to much again?And do i need to see a therapist?
gus
ps would a aluminium tube affair be strong enough to replace that steel girder thing at the front.

babble53

Postby babble53 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:55 am

Steel is such an underrated material. Aluminium has few advantages over it, the main one being it's ability to be used in mure complex extrusions and castings. Weight vs stifness, there's rarely much to gain, especially when using a formed section such as the wishbone. I'll bet BMW spent a lot of R&D time and money getting the wishbone just right. Personnally I'd be surprised to see any aftermarket wishbone perform better.

minivin

Postby minivin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:01 pm

yeah, can see that since the pivot point is connected to a sprung item ie chassis, while where the wheel is at the other end is connected to the bottom of the shock

Gromit wrote:
minivin wrote:think the telelever comes under un-sprung weight as it's basically the same as a swingarm and thats under un-sprung....... so these little factors slowly add up

When I built my Caterham 7 we once got onto this very topic at a post trackday club meet - getting guys' thoughts on this (some experts who know a hell of a lot more than me about this) it appears that suspension components, including wishbones (swinging arms etc in our case) are taken as half-unsprung weight.
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:09 pm

minivin wrote:yeah, can see that since the pivot point is connected to a sprung item ie chassis, while where the wheel is at the other end is connected to the bottom of the shock

:cool:

That makes sense - dare say the lighter the 'sprung end' is relative to the pivoted end, the lower the overall unsprung value aswell. Or has my O-level Physics gone to ratshit??? :?

Anyway...a carbon Telelever would look totally fanriffic (Co. Hong Kong Phooey). The later, tubular style wishbone like on the 1150R... :cool:

Return to “Boxertech”