Unexplained slowing?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bmwonder

Unexplained slowing?

Postby bmwonder » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:38 pm

I was flying along some daul carridgeway this morning witha roundabout at the bottom. Quite heavy braking into the roundabout. Pulling away from the roundabout the bike wasn't going anywhere? It just wasn't pulling properly. I thought that I was out of petrol, but no. I put it in neutral and the bike slowed very fast but the engine was fine. I thought that I might have a flat, but no. All I can think of was a brake sticking. When I pulled over and checked, the brakes seemed fine and the wheels rotated okay? All I can think of is brakes, but the bike only has 4k on the clock? Any ideas? Bike was fine the rest of the way into work.

Mark

carlk

Postby carlk » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:18 pm

You can find out if the pistons are sticking by placing some sensitive skin against the brake rotor immediately after a ride :twisted:
But I would think a check and clean of the calipers would be a good place start
Last edited by carlk on Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
traffic Dodger

minivin

Postby minivin » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:07 pm

yep, mine used to partial-seize the engine up until 10k miles, it's now freed-off and hasn't done it since.
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:39 pm

It' s the work of the devil I'm afraid....punishment for enjoying ourselves riding those dangerous motorbikes
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:32 pm

I had exactly the same thing when going to work on the TDM, stopped, checked the disks, fried an egg on the nearside.
Being as it was a Saturday I decided to clean all the crap and road salt off the calipers to prevent the same form occuring again.
Very soon I had a pair of clean calipers with shiney pistons all suitably lubricated and fettled.
Upon reassembly would the nearside caliper go back on its mountings? Would it f**k. The disk was warped, Oh how i chuckled!

Mick
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

Return to “Boxertech”