Help! Ohlins bracket failure.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

adamski49

Help! Ohlins bracket failure.

Postby adamski49 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:32 am

Need some quick advice. My Ohlins preload adjuster bracket has just snapped (the aluminium L piece) and I need a replacment ASAP as I'm off to France and the Alps next Saturday... fortunately not this one.

As luck would have it I'd read the numerous postings on pelican about this bracket failing and had a couple of strategically placed zip ties to stop it from dropping into the back wheel if/when it did.

Anyway, I have phoned Motorworks for a replacment and stressed the urgency but I'm not holding my breath. Does anyone have any other avenues to explore or know someone smart enough to fabricate me one?

Thanks in advance.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:37 am

Adam go to your nearest Metalwork shop or welders or Blacksmiths and get a small off-cut, drill the required holes, round off the edges and jobs a good un !

ps. You can claim your postage back, I've waited in all morning and the parcel hasn't arrived, it's not a problem but make sure you get the money back from the buggers as they haven't met their comittment.

Toodle pip
:roll:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:33 pm

Paul

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try if I can't guarantee a replacement Ohlins part.

As for Royal Mail, what a bunch. I'll wander down the Post Office once you actually have the goods in your hand just in case they've managed to destroy it as well and I need to claim for the value of the goods.

Cheers

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:48 pm

I may have solved the problem. Spoke to Harris who, if they have one in stock, will send it out straight away... free as well because it failed - I had a feeling I'd be paying for it.

On the downside, if they don't have it could take a week or more so looks like I'll be getting one fabricated if that's the case.

Adam :)

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:52 pm

Excellent that sounds like good news all round then as the parcel arrived around 1pm :D

All apears to be fine, they don't look to have used it as a door stop or football on the way up :lol:

You've got to wonder if it's been a manufacturing batch fault then as like you I've quite a lot of postings about these breaking. I had a very similar bracket on the Ohlins on my last VFR and it was fine no hint of fatigue, weird huh.

Thanks again for the HID kit Adam, looking forward to fiting it later today :wink:

Toodle pip
Cheers

PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Boxadog 2000

Bracket

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:16 pm

Adam give me a call 07730 313357 I can get one made or make one subject to having the right bit of ally on Saturday/Monday and will post to you for Tuesday if you are stuck.

Bob

adamski49

Re: Bracket

Postby adamski49 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:39 pm

Boxadog 2000 wrote:Adam give me a call 07730 313357 I can get one made or make one subject to having the right bit of ally on Saturday/Monday and will post to you for Tuesday if you are stuck.

Bob

Thanks Bob but I think I'm in the clear. Harris rang late this afternoon to say the replacement was on it's way.

If it doesn't get here by Tuesday though I'll give you a ring.

Cheers

Adam

Return to “Boxertech”