red ! warning light on

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

sussexgirl

red ! warning light on

Postby sussexgirl » Sun May 18, 2008 3:46 pm

It's on all the time.
Manual says it's a generic warning- either if ABS or rear brake light are kaput. Rear brake light is working, so I'm guessing the ABS isn't.

The bike felt fine to ride, and I don't care about ABS- do I need to worry?

If it's still on, I will take it to the dealer for free fixing (it's a BMW approved used bike, so comes with 1 year warranty).

Harry

Postby Harry » Sun May 18, 2008 3:55 pm

ABS may need resetting (20 second job for a dealer).
have you had the battery disconnected?

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon May 19, 2008 8:04 pm

If the dealer is not 500 miles away then get it sorted under warranty, it will only annoy in time.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

Dog Tyred

Re: red ! warning light on

Postby Dog Tyred » Tue May 20, 2008 7:28 am

sussexgirl wrote:It's on all the time.
Manual says it's a generic warning- either if ABS or rear brake light are kaput. Rear brake light is working, so I'm guessing the ABS isn't.

The bike felt fine to ride, and I don't care about ABS- do I need to worry?

If it's still on, I will take it to the dealer for free fixing (it's a BMW approved used bike, so comes with 1 year warranty).

You say that the brake light works fine and I assume the side light does too? As I recall, if the brake light bulb fails, the rear side light :? takes over both functions of side light and brake light so its not always apparent that the brake light bulb may have failed, apart from the red light on the dash.

Worth changing the brake light bulb to see if it cancels the warning light. If that don't fix it, its your ABS.

Hope this helps

Greg
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

POB

Postby POB » Tue May 20, 2008 8:48 am

Nu2beemers wrote:You say that the brake light works fine and I assume the side light does too? As I recall, if the brake light bulb fails, the rear side light :? takes over both functions of side light and brake light so its not always apparent that the brake light bulb may have failed, apart from the red light on the dash.

That's what happened on mine. I was surprised - you wouldn't have known until you took the light apart. Very clever. I resolved it by fitting a Nippy Normans LED panel. Actually it is much better than an incandescent bulb, as my unscientific comparison clearly shows:

Steptoe

Postby Steptoe » Tue May 20, 2008 8:50 am

sussexgirl wrote:It's on all the time.

).

Have you got Servo or non servo brakes ???????????????????????

POB

Postby POB » Tue May 20, 2008 10:39 am

Oh, should sat I have the evo2 (?) brakes with servo and ABS, and the bike is an 02 single-spark.

Return to “Boxertech”