Brake callipers - splitting

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm

throttlemeister wrote:Mine were stuck to the point I could not move them by hand. They were blown out before I had full pressure on. They blow out really easy with air.

I can't move them by hand when the seals are perfectly new!
non quod, sed quomodo

Phil K

Postby Phil K » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:00 pm

I had to find thicker o-rings, as the ones supplied in the kits were visibly thinner than the ones that came out.

Archie, I hope that you checked on the material!

****For use in brake fluid you should use EPDM not standard Nitrile *****

Nitrile will fail very soon after fitting - not good at speed :shock:

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

Archie

Postby Archie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Yes, I went to an industrial seal supplier who sorted me out.

snavetrauts

Just an aside...

Postby snavetrauts » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:19 pm

I had some stuck pistons recently on my R100RS.... would not budge..so used air.... unfortunately my finger was in the way at the time... bloody painful.

I have split brembo's many times with no problems... on one occasion, using the original o rings again.... again no problems.

Good luck.

Stuart
.......~ ~
....-(@ @)-
ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains. (Jeremiah Johnson)

R1100S 2003. The Fast Colour. G650 Xchallenge 2008. F650CS Black 2003 SWMBO

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:24 pm

Phil K wrote:I had to find thicker o-rings, as the ones supplied in the kits were visibly thinner than the ones that came out.

Archie, I hope that you checked on the material!

****For use in brake fluid you should use EPDM not standard Nitrile *****

Nitrile will fail very soon after fitting - not good at speed :shock:

Phil

Precisely why I stuck m old ones back in instead of trying a random set from the "B&Q bumper box of o-rings" I have in the garage.... I have no idea what material they are!

Just waiting for my new Goodridge lines to turn up from brakes4u.com. :)
non quod, sed quomodo

Yogi Bear

Postby Yogi Bear » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:47 pm

Blackal wrote:
throttlemeister wrote:Mine were stuck to the point I could not move them by hand. They were blown out before I had full pressure on. They blow out really easy with air.

Why not just couple them back up to the brake master cylinder and use hydraulic pressure to shift them?

Hydraulic power is a lot safer than coupling up an air hose.

Using compressed air is a bit "Yee-Hah" in comparison :?

Al :D

BlackAL gets his Thousandth Post........... [smilie=cheerleader.gif] [smilie=cheerleader.gif] [smilie=cool chicken dance.gif] [smilie=cheerleader.gif] [smilie=cheerleader.gif] [smilie=dance guy.gif] [smilie=hamster dance.gif]
“Wrinkles merely indicate where smiles have been”
Mark Twain

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Yogi Bear wrote:
Blackal wrote:

Why not just couple them back up to the brake master cylinder and use hydraulic pressure to shift them?

BlackAL gets his Thousandth Post........... [smilie=cheerleader.gif] [smilie=cheerleader.gif] [smilie=cool chicken dance.gif] [smilie=cheerleader.gif] [smilie=cheerleader.gif] [smilie=dance guy.gif] [smilie=hamster dance.gif]

You should be a detective Ali :wink:

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:03 am

Blackal wrote:

Cause once you got the first two out, how do you expect the next two to come out without fluid in there? :)

It's not that YeeHaw, but you need to be careful. You just put the airgun into the where the banjo bolt goes, and give it a _little_ air and out they come.

It is actually the only way to get them out easily and done like that in every shop. It is also explicitly mentioned in the Hayes manual to do it like this.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 am

throttlemeister wrote:
Blackal wrote:

Cause once you got the first two out, how do you expect the next two to come out without fluid in there? :)

It's not that YeeHaw, but you need to be careful. You just put the airgun into the where the banjo bolt goes, and give it a _little_ air and out they come.

It is actually the only way to get them out easily and done like that in every shop. It is also explicitly mentioned in the Hayes manual to do it like this.

How do you plug the hole once the first one comes out?
non quod, sed quomodo

scotty

Postby scotty » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:23 am

Archie / Phil K

Where can I get the right size seals that seal the two halfs of the Brembo calipers ? Was going to use B&Q jobs but a bit worried after Phils post

Regards
BMW R1100S
Triumph Sprint ST 955

julian

Postby julian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:59 pm

On a previous S, I made a wooden block with a piston sized notch which allowed only one piston to operate at any given time (but not far enough to pop it out) using the brake lever. Remove the block, clean the piston surface and then push back in. Repeat on other pistons.

My current pistons work back in with resonable finger pressure but after each 6 months' use (4k miles) some are more sticky than others .
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:51 pm

julian wrote:On a previous S, I made a wooden block with a piston sized notch which allowed only one piston to operate at any given time (but not far enough to pop it out) using the brake lever. Remove the block, clean the piston surface and then push back in. Repeat on other pistons.

My current pistons work back in with resonable finger pressure but after each 6 months' use (4k miles) some are more sticky than others .

Yeah - that would do it. I would certainly try to do it with hydraulics - too many workshop accidents attributed to inappropriate use of compressed air.

If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

jivebiker

Postby jivebiker » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:41 pm

If you loosen all the pistons up and thoroughly clean externally before popping any out, then the others should pop out more easily even with a bit of air in the system.

I have yet to find a piston so stuck that hydraulic brake pressure cant get it moving, but check that piston to body clearance on the trailing edge, mine was well corroded and jamming against the piston. All nice and free now though.
JiVeBiKeR

Whatever happened to Cherry Jubblies?

Return to “Boxertech”