Headlights

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Headlights

Postby Darth_1100S » Mon May 24, 2004 12:44 pm

Anyone know what the score is for masking the headlight when riding on the Continent? I've looked at sites on the net and can't fnd a definitive answer whether it needs to be done on a bike or not.

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon May 24, 2004 1:29 pm

Darth,

Check the little handbook which came with your S and it will show you how to adjust the beam to continental mode. Alternatively, you could leave the beam as is, and be sure the continental car drivers really spot you :twisted:
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon May 24, 2004 1:37 pm

Has anyone actually twisted their headlight for continental use? I read it a few times and figured it could be a PIA so left it alone.

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

bikemad99

Re: Headlights

Postby bikemad99 » Mon May 24, 2004 2:03 pm

Darth_1100S wrote:Anyone know what the score is for masking the headlight when riding on the Continent? I've looked at sites on the net and can't fnd a definitive answer whether it needs to be done on a bike or not.

Dave.

Never bother,but always try to be in a bar before dark.

Reg.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon May 24, 2004 3:42 pm

Darth - if you're doing the FLASH tour don't worry - I'd be very disappointed if I hadn't had at least 3 bottle inside me by sunset.... ;)
non quod, sed quomodo

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Mon May 24, 2004 4:43 pm

But don't we have to have our headlights on all the time over there :?: I'd hate to piss off those nice French people :mrgreen:

DDDDDDD :roll:

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Mon May 24, 2004 4:48 pm

Paul wrote:Darth,

Check the little handbook which came with your S and it will show you how to adjust the beam to continental mode. Alternatively, you could leave the beam as is, and be sure the continental car drivers really spot you :twisted:

Jeez, just read thro the headlight bit in the wee booklet. You're right Paul -it's all there. Seems like a load of messing for a week away tho, think I'll just do what I was going to do in the first place.....Aim it at the wall and mask the bit that takes off to the left. Either that or just leave the bugger alone :!:

Dave. 8)

winger

Postby winger » Mon May 24, 2004 7:45 pm

Blimey thats a rave from the grave!! masking headlights,haven't done it in 30 years of course in the good old days it was very fashionable to leave your yellow lense on when you came back,thats if you bothered in the first place!!!.

All it means is headlight will light up the dotted line in the middle of the road,instead of the gutter,i've always found it a safer option espeacially on a road i don't know.

The Froggies will get a little irate that you beam is shining at them and not the gutter,but their also cute enough to know that judgeing by you headlamp direction your Johnny foreigner and give alittle more room,of course when all the French had yellow headlamps it was great to have a white light,they avoided you like the plague!!!

Chris

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon May 24, 2004 8:11 pm

What Chris said. :)

I remember conscientiously masking my headlight on my first ever trip to France (on a CX!) many moons ago - not bothered since and in well over 20000 miles of continental travel, not had any trouble at all.

The French'll love you, just because you're on a bike. :)

Top gaff France. :)

Gats

Postby Gats » Mon May 24, 2004 8:25 pm

So to avoid upsetting our continental neighbours I should consider not using the headlight but the parker instead?
Will the PIAA's be fine or will they really piss them off? :D
Gary Rose.
'06 R1200S Titanium with farkles - Moristech Pro Sequential Interceptor, full Remus system, carbon bits
'12 Tiger Explorer, loaded
'15 Triumph Thruxton ACE Cafe (hers)
-------------
A little inaccuracy saves a tonne of explanation.

winger

Postby winger » Mon May 24, 2004 8:34 pm

A side light in France????!!!!,i shudder at the thought!!! if thats your train of thought i reckon you'd make a good suicide bomber!!!!!

Chris

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue May 25, 2004 4:17 am

Just remember to change the height of the beam to allow for all that weight in the PANNIERS, otherwise you'll onlt be seeing sparrows fart (if the locals haven't shot them all :cry: )

Lloyd

Return to “Boxertech”