S Suspension adjustments

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

craigtvw

S Suspension adjustments

Postby craigtvw » Thu May 20, 2004 6:41 pm

Having ridden the RS for several years ai am a little confused tothe overall effect of the variable suspension on the S. Browsing the sports mags gives several options of which is best for performance and comfort. I am seeking the middle ground and at present feel reluctant to start fiddling.

Anyone in or around central Scotland willing to explain/show the best route to the best/optimum suspension settings, or do all you S riders vary it with style/mood/surface?

Is is just a fiddle till you feel happy or can you really screw up the handling by inappropriate settings?

thanks.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu May 20, 2004 7:29 pm

Personally I didn't find much variation between any of the settings with the standard units hence the switch to aftermarket shocks. Play around with the settings, none of them are going to upset the bike that much that it will become an evil handling sob :evil:

Lloyd

theseadog

Re: S Suspension adjustments

Postby theseadog » Fri May 21, 2004 3:59 pm

craigtvw wrote:Having ridden the RS for several years ai am a little confused tothe overall effect of the variable suspension on the S. Browsing the sports mags gives several options of which is best for performance and comfort. I am seeking the middle ground and at present feel reluctant to start fiddling.

Anyone in or around central Scotland willing to explain/show the best route to the best/optimum suspension settings, or do all you S riders vary it with style/mood/surface?

Is is just a fiddle till you feel happy or can you really screw up the handling by inappropriate settings?

thanks.

Craig I'll stop you right there ! Sports Mags = More than likely total pish :wink:

Suspension settings do tend to be quite subjective, one mans poison and all that .... Best bet is put them to standard ( in the book, if you can't find them let me know and I'll get them to you )

See how that feels and then either increase or decrease the rebound damping depending on whether you find it too bumpy or to soft. Rear Pre-load can be adjusted to give the correct sag, and then you can increase if you've got a pillion or want to change the handling characteristics. I'm over in Ayrshire and there are a few others up here, though I've been busy lately so I haven't met any of the guys yet. Welcome to drop me a line and we could try and meet for a run and talk some boxerbollox

Cheers
PAul
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

winger

Postby winger » Fri May 21, 2004 6:09 pm

Well it's impossible to bugger up the settings as there's so few on the standard stuff.

The front shock just wind the preload all the way off,i ride my S most of the time two up and it barely moves now after 4 years but then again thats how i like it,the rear is something different,i see you say middle ground!!! no such thing!! you either go for one or the other.

What i would say,check your settings on the rear,write them down on a piece of paper,so you don't forget them,now alter you shock from one extreme to the other,bareing in mind when you go to the hardest setting,the bike will steer much quicker,as you've jacked the back up with the result it'll be a lot stiffer.

You have to realise your dealing with massed produce junk!! so don't hold you hopes up to much,you best option is to buy a Verholen ajustable para arm(Motorworks) so you can raise the back to quicken the steering but knock of the preload of the shock so your softening things up a bit.

Lloyd mentioned aftermarket shocks!!!! thats a one way ticket i'm afraid because once you ridden an S with some decent suspension,then there'll be no going back.

Chris

Return to “Boxertech”