Iridium plugs

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bernsmartco

Iridium plugs

Postby bernsmartco » Fri May 07, 2004 9:27 pm

Hi all,
Anybody tried exotic spark plugs in their 'S?
I was thinking of giving these a go to see if they make any difference.

Any comment good or bad please post.
Thanks.

Bern

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sat May 08, 2004 7:01 am

Bern,

I tried Platinum plugs at my last service and I can't notice any change in the performance or feel of the bike whatsoever. Since a pair plugs cost me only £7 I don't feel unduly cheated tho' :wink: Give it a try, but don't set your expectations too high for the effect it's going to have.

Just my 700p worth,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Sat May 08, 2004 8:53 am

I tried the Denso Iridiums in my 11S about 2 years ago. Can't say it was worth the £15 per plug I paid. I'm on a twin spark Rockster now, and there's no way I'm shelling out for 4 of them! I've hunted the web high and low, and you just can't seem to get them cheaper than this.

I think most positive commentary is the result of a Placebo effect. I put a set of eight Super 4, multi electrode plugs in a 4.0ltr TVR once and again didn't notice any difference. I shouldn't be surprised really - a spark is a spark. Unless the ignition control delivers the spark in a different way, what can a change of plug really contribute (assuming the old ones are in good nick and properly gapped).

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat May 08, 2004 10:20 am

Ditto what the guys have said - I used FR6DP's in my S and couldn't really tell a jot of difference. Perhaps a bit smoother on first fitting them but any brand new plug feels like that.

I've found the only time an Iridium/Platinum plug makes a really worthwhile difference is in a 2-stroke motor as they're far less prone to fouling.

minivin

Postby minivin » Sat May 08, 2004 11:22 am

nly time your going to improve performance is by increasing the combustion efficiency, thats where "proper" twin spark comes in so that you spread the flame path better.... or you go for improved squish technology et cetera.

All you can want from a spark plug is improved efficiency from it, ie it sparks 99% of the required time at high revs which IIRC it drops to 80 ish or something.
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Sat May 08, 2004 12:27 pm

What Rob said. The main advantage of the fancy plugs is consistancy and long term reliability. In other words, they're more likely to spark every time towards the end of their life than a normal plug.

winger

Postby winger » Sat May 08, 2004 11:26 pm

The thing about useing the FR6DP is you get a fancy plug for the price of a standard in any other make,as Richard said about the difference when you first fit e'm,hence i do 1500 miles on mine and they go in the bin.

Chris

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Sun May 09, 2004 5:00 pm

Are the FR6Dps the plug of choice?

Rgds,

Rob

winger

Postby winger » Sun May 09, 2004 5:24 pm

Hi Rob

There a trick plug at the right price,an NGK your talking 8 quid and upwards,the problem with the Bosch is getting e'm.

Chris

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun May 09, 2004 9:47 pm

You could just try and blag a couple off Chris next time you meet up :D :D

Lloyd

Harry

Postby Harry » Mon May 10, 2004 9:06 am

I took the last 2 in stock off Motorworks about 3 weeks ago but they have probably got some more in by now.

Harry.

winger

Postby winger » Mon May 10, 2004 6:07 pm

Now look here you lot!!! buying spark plugs from a motorcyle dealer??? are you kidding me,find an independant VW/BM/Merc dealer or so were the word rip off hasn't appeared yet, like www.kmsparts.com and i know Andy S bought his from a chain of shops darn sarf,this last lot i've had were £32 for 10

Chris

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Wed May 12, 2004 10:55 am

You're not going to get any real benefit from the Iridium plugs in an S. If you were running a high revving bike and spent a lot of time at high revs ( ie racing ) then yes it may give some benefit, otherwise save your money, and leave them to the rice-rocket brigade :wink:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Return to “Boxertech”