Bad startup

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:54 pm

I reckon it must be taking your bike to the IOM :lol:

Joking aside mine's be starting to exhibit similar problems at approx 24,000 miles. Normally kept at home on an Optimate with a gel battery it starts fine first prod. However like you I've been at the TT and after the first week the starting became more erratic despite giving the bike a good run during the day.

I'd prod the starter button and it would just clunk at me two or three times before shuddering into life. Luckily it did always eventually start and got me home okay. Discussions with my local Dealer (CW) seem to point to the starter motor being the cause of the problem and possibly on the way out.

Will be interested to hear the outcome once you get it fully sorted.

Regards Bob.

davegooch

Postby davegooch » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:34 am

Like I said, I hadn't specifically opened the throttle twice wth the ignition on the reset the motronic thingy until Tuesday morning. Today it started forst time so I took it for a ride, about 15 miles, and a refuel, again it started first time just like it always used to. And when I got home it started properly again.
Does anyone know if, having not reset the motronic thingy (I like technical me!!) it will start (badly) and run ok, but then once it has been reset, start normally? What I'm asking I guess is, does anyone think it's solved itself (he says in a hopeful tone of voice!!)
2004 BCR

r550s

Postby r550s » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 am

I've never heard of that (but that doesn't mean it can't be the case!). Why not settle your mind by disconnecting the battery and having another go etc? FWIW my money is on 'worst case of wishful thinking this week'!
'Hinterachsge' translates as 'rear axle'.(Not 'Differential', so f*** off)

chobbler

Postby chobbler » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:50 pm

I need a 680, old threads are old, who should I be talking to?
Thanks
Chris
Brockworth Gloucs

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:17 pm

chobbler wrote:I need a 680, old threads are old, who should I be talking to?
Thanks
Chris

Winger
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

davegooch

Postby davegooch » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:19 am

r550s wrote: FWIW my money is on 'worst case of wishful thinking this week'!

I suspected as much!! Can't blame a boy for trying though!! Don't really fancy all the messing taking fairings off around to get to the battery just to try a theory that might not be provable even if it's true!! While it's still working I think I'll leave well enough alone, and if it starts playing up again I'll have a go at the starter motor.
Re the battery - I'm sure I could have got one cheaper, but the price did include delivery, and thanks to Mr Motorwroks & Mr Parcel Force, it did turn up the next day, so I'm not going to complain, not that it would do any good now if I did...

Thanks for all your help. I'm just hoping ultimately none of it's necessary - I'm good at wishful thinking!!
2004 BCR

chobbler

Postby chobbler » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:16 pm

boxerpan wrote:
chobbler wrote:I need a 680, old threads are old, who should I be talking to?
Thanks
Chris

Winger

thanks boxerpan, will do.
Brockworth Gloucs

davegooch

Postby davegooch » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:49 pm

davegooch wrote:
r550s wrote: FWIW my money is on 'worst case of wishful thinking this week'!

I suspected as much!! Can't blame a boy for trying though!! Don't really fancy all the messing taking fairings off around to get to the battery just to try a theory that might not be provable even if it's true!! While it's still working I think I'll leave well enough alone, and if it starts playing up again I'll have a go at the starter motor.

Thanks for all your help. I'm just hoping ultimately none of it's necessary - I'm good at wishful thinking!!

Just a quick update - wishful thinking does sometimes pay off, in that it's been starting fine ever since!! So REMEMBER, after disconnecting the battery do the throttle opening thingy, otherwise just because the bike runs it doesn't mean it will start properly!!
2004 BCR

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:25 pm

I have disconnected my battery mant times since I have had it, once to fit optimate leads (now I have a optional power point). Again to fit the Garmin.... 2 or 3 times to perfect the loom. I have never reset the motronic as you suggest and have not had any starting problems.

The process is however real????!!!!... I also have an F650 and there are a million threads on this baby regarding surging problems they had.... BMW denied it at first.... but then came to accept it...... the setting of the throttle sensors etc etc was part of that cure..... That never worked for me though.... I still have it and now ride round it.

Just for info

Stuart
.......~ ~
....-(@ @)-
ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains. (Jeremiah Johnson)

R1100S 2003. The Fast Colour. G650 Xchallenge 2008. F650CS Black 2003 SWMBO

Return to “Boxertech”