Stripping paint from a bike frame

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Stripping paint from a bike frame

Postby Gromit » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:30 pm

This is more a general biking-type question. :)

I'm in the process of restoring my 2 old MZ's - one of which I got up and running this afternoon - but the other's frame needs a bit of a re-coat of the paint variety. However, I want to strip, or at least clean off the previous owner's ham-fisted attempts - the paint looks like it's been applied with a yard broom.

I'd get the frame blasted but those who know MZ's will realise that the swingarm, if operating well in its current state, should be left in situ - blasting/powdercoating will wreck the rubber bushes.

I've heard 'Nitromors' mentioned a few times - I've heard of it (in terms of paint-stripping) but what does it do/how does one use it??

Many thanks :)

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:37 pm

It just paints on with a brush Gromit, leave it for 10 mins and then scrape it all off along with the paint. Afterwards wash everything down with clean water. Wear eye protection and cover your arms and hands coz it burns like a bastard if you get it on your skin. VERY effective way of egtting paint off tho......Oh - don't get it into nooks and crannies where there are rubber seals - it'll melt them

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:38 pm

Nitromors will do it. You just dollop it on with a brush and wait. (Note I didn't say "brush" it on - you actually shouldn't spread it out like paint - works best if stippled on and left really thick)

Best result achieved if you bag the item up to stop it drying out before it's finished doing its stuff. You'll see the paint blister up really quickly, but you need to let it work through the various layers. It stings like hell if you get it on skin.

Another approach would be a cup brush on an angle grinder - not the noncey things you get for drills - but a real mans angle grinder version - the wires are twisted into plaits much like rope. Tough as old boots and leaves the metal in a great state for subsequent repainting (for which I'd use Smooth Hammerite).

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:42 pm

Cool - thanks Dave/MD :)

Where is it possible to buy the stuff from? I've not seen it in Halfords etc :?:

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:45 pm

B&Q should have it in various "flavours" - there's different ones for pain, varnish, distemper etc. I usually use the green one which is general purpose for paint.

julian

Postby julian » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:20 pm

Grom
Stripped my S' fork lowers with Nitromors.
Wear thick rubber gloves and goggles & rub it in with wire wool after 5 mins.

Tip. don't touch your 'old man' or rub your eyes until you've washed you hands
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:39 pm

julian wrote:Grom
Stripped my S' fork lowers with Nitromors.
Wear thick rubber gloves and goggles & rub it in with wire wool after 5 mins.

Tip. don't touch your 'old man

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OOOOOOOOOOH the pain - how to strip a helmet in 3 secs flat, you'll be walking like John Wayne for months :mrgreen:

Dave 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:44 am

If the original paint is in good condition, a quick rub over with 100 grit will make the stripper more effective. I had the problem when I stripped a car years ago, old paint, mucho tuffo.

Rgds, Rob

Return to “Boxertech”