Self-canceling indicators

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bernsmartco

Self-canceling indicators

Postby bernsmartco » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:01 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone out there know for certain how the self-canceling works on the latest bikes?I did not believe the manual when it said they were fitted to my 53 reg. bike.

Having tried it on a very quite country road they seem to switch off after about 15 secs but talking to someone who knows a thing or two about BMs he thinks they may have more intelligence built in to monitor speed as well.

Don't fancy experimenting with other people on the road and I don't intend riding around in the dead of night just to find out.

Keep :D ride safely
Bern

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:09 pm

They are intelligent and I thought they were speed realted.

If you're stationary they stay on until you move away and then cancel after a certain time although I normally find myself cancelling them.

On a motorway the 300 yd marker is spot on for auto cancelling just as you hit the slip road - this can be a little bit annoying if you need to start indicating earlier than 300 yds as you'll have to press it again before you exit.

Someone else may be able to give a more definitive answer.

HTH

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:29 pm

I could never quite figure out if my Rocksters had it or not. :roll:

sometimes I'd realise the indicators had turned off, but I couldn't remember if I'd turned them off automatically, or not.
non quod, sed quomodo

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:36 pm

RiceBurner wrote:I could never quite figure out if my Rocksters had it or not. :roll:

sometimes I'd realise the indicators had turned off, but I couldn't remember if I'd turned them off automatically, or not.

I'm pretty sure all BM's have them (mid eighties on anyway) as my '86 K75c had them as did the other 4 K's I've owned.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:22 pm

Here's one for you - of the BM's I've owned, they had the following (*=self-cancelling)

1100S*
1150GS
1150R*
1100R

Nowt like being consistent I guess :D

julian

Postby julian » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:02 pm

The yellow indicator lens fell off the MZ last week and the bulb followed it today.

Does that count?
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:37 pm

Gromit wrote:Here's one for you - of the BM's I've owned, they had the following (*=self-cancelling)

1100S*
1150GS
1150R*
1100R

Nowt like being consistent I guess :D

Ooer, I am surprised. So the 11R you have now doesn't have them? Bizarre. I'm sure I could cope with cancelling them myself though :)

Adam

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:13 pm

They work on a time/distance relationship. If the bike is moving, when you press the indicator a count down timer starts and it also start looking at the pulses from the speedo pick up. When either timer reaches zero or the preset distance count is reached they will cancel.

Return to “Boxertech”