Time for new hoops

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Which hoops??

Avon AV45/46
13%
Bridgestone BT020
38%
Metzeler Z6 Roadtec
31%
Michelin Pilot Road
19%

Total votes: 16

Gromit

Time for new hoops

Postby Gromit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:01 pm

But which to buy??

I fancy a change from the ubiquitous 020's - they've given me sterling service over the past 5500 miles or so, not a murmur despite some fairly spirited riding. Which would you choose/have you chosen out if this merry band of tyres??

Avon AV45/46
Bridgestone BT020
Metzeler Z6 Roadtec (these are current favourite)
Michelin Pilot Road

Thanking you as always for your valuable input :)

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:09 pm

Pirelli Diablos :D

... what do you mean they're not on the list? No. 1 in Bike mag. You might even get the same mileage as the 020's - Paul?

Adam (as unhelpful as ever :) )
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:17 pm

adamski49 wrote:Pirelli Diablos :D

... what do you mean they're not on the list? No. 1 in Bike mag. You might even get the same mileage as the 020's - Paul?

Adam (as unhelpful as ever :) )

Adam - they don't do a fitting for the R. The 020's have enough grip to allow the scrapage of much of the Roadster's undercarriage so I'm sticking (sorry!) to the more, shall we say, gentlemanly choices ;)

I agree though - the Pirellis are superb having used them on the Buell. :)

winger

Postby winger » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:20 pm

Richard!!!

E'r so lets get this right!!,the 020's have been good tyres,worn well have taken some stick and you've been more than happy with them!! and you want to buy something else!!!!!hmmm,if your happy with e'm the tricks to concentrate on getting them at the right price.

Chris

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:22 pm

winger wrote:Richard!!!

E'r so lets get this right!!,the 020's have been good tyres,worn well have taken some stick and you've been more than happy with them!! and you want to buy something else!!!!!hmmm,if your happy with e'm the tricks to concentrate on getting them at the right price.

Chris

Chris - you are as ever the voice of reason Gawd bless ya!!! You know me though, always up for trying something different - and the Roadtecs do have a nice tread pattern...

...I'll get my coat :D

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:34 pm

I just went and got a new rear yesterday - well, nearly new. £40 2nd hand but still has the bobbles on. Bloke says he doesn't sell many - mainly to VFR750s apparantly.

Anyway - BT020 yadayadayada - getting a bit bored with these now like you say richard. I like the tread patterns on the Pilots - but when I pay for new ones again I reckon I'll go back to the Avons - I know people knock their wet ability, but sometimes I prefer something a little loose to keep me on my toes (and not my arse hopefully) and they last for AGES. the BTs square off real quick too which isn't so good. I like the Avons wet and dry plus like to swim against the tide sometimes.

Don't be a sheep Richard, be a Shepard :wink:

Jason

ps - how's missus Gromit? She blooming nicely I hope :wink:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:48 pm

Jason - missus is certainly bloomin!! She had to borrow leather jeans/HG jacket of one of the girls at work for this w/e - her own 2-piece no longer fits. Thanks for asking tho' :)

As to tyres - like you I'm a bit of an Avon fan. 'Discovered' the Azaro 35/36 (this is pre-Azaro II) back in '98 and went through 5 sets back to back on my old 11R. Shite in the wet (but then again so am I) but felt brilliant in the dry - just felt 'right' somehow.

Oh...and the new ones look good too which is, of course, vitally important. :D

Gats

Postby Gats » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:54 pm

hehe, Richard. Looks like Nikk's had her last ride on back today. Her wet weather jacket just fits. The leather jacket? Forget about it! :D

Personally I'm a fan of the pilot sports but with a fairly decent run coming late May I'd go with the 020's, unless you wish to give the Pilot Roads a crack. They seem to work just fine on the K.
Gary Rose.
'06 R1200S Titanium with farkles - Moristech Pro Sequential Interceptor, full Remus system, carbon bits
'12 Tiger Explorer, loaded
'15 Triumph Thruxton ACE Cafe (hers)
-------------
A little inaccuracy saves a tonne of explanation.

guised

Postby guised » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:59 am

How's about Sportecs also No.1 in Bike but I've noticed the consensus on the board doesn't tend to be favourable. Too much raw Beemer power makes them slide :shock: apparently!

Bridgestones (010 or 020) are nice when the profile is there but once its gone :( . If the Z6 is anything like the M1 it'll wear evenly.

Dan

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:19 am

Something you can enjoy France on... ;)
non quod, sed quomodo

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:17 am

RiceBurner wrote:Something you can enjoy France on... ;)

I could enjoy France on a pair of K181's :D

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:23 am

You need an Avon Speeeeedmaster like Julian's got on the rear of his fine machine, they never wear out :!:

Lloyd

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:26 am

boxerpan wrote:You need an Avon Speeeeedmaster like Julian's got on the rear of his fine machine, they never wear out :!:

Lloyd

:lol: Saw JK and the beast yesterday - his Skidmaster is the only one I've ever seen which is actually starting to round off at the edges. The man's a master. :)

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:31 am

Too many donuts at the Ace :wink:

Lloyd

Return to “Boxertech”