erratic idling

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

twincans2003

erratic idling

Postby twincans2003 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:00 pm

hi all
can anyone give me some advice on what my bike should idle at as it some times idles at under a 1k then sometimes at over 1ki have drained the right hand side airbox bung thing still no difference when it idles at under 1 k you can hear the clutch and gearbox rattling i am running a full laser exhaust lennies inlet pipe kn filter and a techlusion r259 would this make it run eratic on idle (above idle speed the bike runs fine) i phoned the dealer and said it could need the throttle bodies doing does this sound right

hope someone can throw some light on the subject
cheers jason

gus

Postby gus » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:00 am

It looks like you need the throttle bodies synchronised and the idle speed set.This is done by turning the brass screws on the throttle bodied equal amounts.The idle speed should be 1100 rpm give or take 50rpm.You will need a set of vacuum gauges or a twin max to synch the throttle bodies.Before you do this though,the bike needs to be in a good state of tune ie,valve clearances ok,good plugs and clean airfilter.Make sure the bike is well warmed up too.Try turning the brass screws first though,just a little at atime and in equal amounts.Keep a record of where they were though just in case it goes tits up.
gus

Return to “Boxertech”