Stinky Box

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Cobbster

Stinky Box

Postby Cobbster » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:42 pm

Hello,

I've just changed the oil in my S's gear box today using Mobil 1 75/90 fully synth. After the change I took my stead for a spin and on return noticed a strong gear oil smell. Mobil 1 has a distictive smell but I thought that would be contained in the box. Does this niff disapear after a while?.

Also, when I took the drain plug out there was a small sprinkling of fine iron filings on the magnet, my bike is an 03 with 6500 miles on it and I suspect that the oil was the original from new as its last service was not done by BMW. Is the plug just doing its job and all is normal or is there something sinister I should be concerned about?. I must also point out that I didn't notice much difference to the gear changing, it engages gear positively but still sounds a bit agricultural and notchy to me!.

Cheers Cobbster.

oyster

Postby oyster » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Who knows the vintage of the stuff that came out? Might account for the metal on the magnet. This is not unusual. Panic if there are lumpy bits on the magnet.
Smell is due to oil spillage on the exhaust. This is not unusual.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:38 pm

A man goes to the doctor and says "I can't stop singing 'The green, green grass of home. What's the problem?'

So the doctor looks him up and down, looks at his tonsils and asks him to drop his pants.

The man (a little concerned) does so, though the doctor just nods and sits down.

"What is it doctor?" says the man.

"I'd say you have Tom Jones syndrome" replies the doctor.

"Never heard of it," says the man. "Is it rare?"

The doctor looks up....."It's not unusual." :roll: :lol:

Return to “Boxertech”