How much

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Al

How much

Postby Al » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:03 pm

Just been quoted £320 for a 24k service.
1) is this excessive?.
2)I have never had a bike serviced at a dealers before, the bike is six and a half years old and has a full history. I intend to keep it for a while, so will keeping the stamps up to date make that much difference to the vaue in a couple of years time.
3)How hard is it to service at home? ( I have been fixing Aircraft, helicopters, cars etc for the past 30 years) been reading the schedule not sure about the fault memory thingy or the cylinder synch process on fuel injection( used a carbtune on jap fours). It is not immediately obvious after a quick look how you drain/fill the rear wheel drive oil , plus what is the inductive sensor.
4) do you need BMW special tools.

BMW repair manual CD is in the post from ebay but I would appreciate the opinions and advice from the more experienced S owners I know frequent this forum
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 pm

1) Excessive ? dont really know I never paid more than £250, I have just paid £207.00 for a 6000 service on my GS1200 which included the anual check.

2) Dont really think FSH on a bike that is 6 years old really matters .

3) If you have been fixing Helecopters then you can service the 1100s or even rebuild the whole dam thing blinfolded its a piece of cake.
The fault memory can only be read by a BMW dealer if the bike runs ok forget it or go get the memory read for about a tenner for piece of minds sake.
Cylinder sinc or to be correct throttle body ballance again is easy, made more easy with a Twinmax ballancer for about £50.

Easy to use buy one and follow the instructions dont adjust the left hand throttle body cable do it all on the right hand side.

Diff oil change as follows.

Remove filler plug at the top
Put drain tray under plug at the bottom and remove plug.
Swear get lots of cloth and clean up the mess.
Replace drain plug with new sealing washer.
Fill with oil to bottom of screw threads
Replace filler plug.
Job done.

Special tools required as follows.

Number 2 Thor copper hyde mallet
Lump hammer for obstinate items
Pin hammer for gentle persuasion
BIG rubber hammer to remove silencers.
Copious amounts of plus gas used several days in advance of any dis-assembly of suspected bolts showing corrosion.

And next time dont buy a CD just ask someone will burn you a copy for a cup of coffee.

Remember that we are all like minded folk there is no such thing as a stupid question.

And FINALLY Welcome :wav:

madman

Postby madman » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:24 pm

I too have been fixing aircraft fro around 30 years and find the 1100S easy. Throttle body sync is not as bad as tailplane backlash on a Jaguar aircraft, but in the same way, once you have done it the first time you can do it again.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

gus

Postby gus » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:39 pm

Hi
As has been stated,do the servicing yourself.Loads of us do our own spannering,so any questions on procedures just ask.I dont think it will task your grey matter much if you maintained aircraft for a living.
gus

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Boxadog 2000 wrote:And next time dont buy a CD just ask someone will burn you a copy for a cup of coffee.

While we are on the subject, would you happen to have the service manual for the 2003 twin-spark model and if so, are you able to put it online somewhere so I can grab it? :)

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:16 am

I think I ended up paying more for my 24k service at SL Motorcycles.

Do a search on this forum, its a common thread that comes up a fair bit.

24k includes fuel pump (from memory) which bumped mine up to quite a bit.

Recently tackled the 36k service (at 34k) myself which was straightforward enough in as far as I got.

Still need to change final drive oil and v belt and balance throttles in the next 500 miles.

When its stops raining. :roll:

Ade.
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

scotty

Postby scotty » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:40 am

Just as a matter of interest, I'm currently looking to buy a Twinmax. Does anyone know of any good mail order companies who sell them ?

Thanks
BMW R1100S
Triumph Sprint ST 955

paulR

Re: How much

Postby paulR » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 am

Al wrote:3)How hard is it to service at home? ( I have been fixing Aircraft, helicopters, cars etc for the past 30 years) been reading the schedule not sure about the fault memory thingy or the cylinder synch process on fuel injection( used a carbtune on jap fours).

Hi,

I've got a carbtune and used it on my 1150GS with no problems.

Paul

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:13 am

Scotty,

These are the people to contact. I did a group buy some 2 years ago and got a very good deal.

www.calamander.co.uk

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

scotty

Postby scotty » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:55 am

Thanks Andrew. I managed to locate a firm down south and ordered one for the same price about an hour ago. Need to get this job done before the weather gets too crap as the bike's running rough at the moment.
BMW R1100S

Triumph Sprint ST 955

Return to “Boxertech”