Bavarian beauty stripped (longish thread)

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Ade B

Bavarian beauty stripped (longish thread)

Postby Ade B » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:41 am

Finally get to Jason's after dodging the peace march in London and the usual SE traffic agg... (Captions at top).

Bike off trailer into garage, on blocks, dangling from engine stand, plastics off, cup of tea all in an instant....

These are likely to be the biggest hassle

Electrics unclipped, alarm wiring oh so carefully disentangled and led removed from back light. Caliper off, footrest and brake pedal off, subframe bolts off

Silencers don't want to budge - Jason removes magic hammer from break glass unit on wall - that's soon sorted. Subframe off.

Not quite as organised as our friends from over the pond...

Gus, have you considered conversion to a lowrider? Had to resist the temptation to fire it up at this point..

Start on cat bolts...

20 dremel blades and 3 drill bits later

"I'm sure thats how they did it on the pelican thread" oh maybe not then... one very firmly attached to gearbox drive shaft...

S mauled by pride of lions shocker..

Fuel tank off

Frame off

S carnage in driveway

Finally, make it to the clutch.. Airbox off, starter motor off, clutch slave cylinder out and gearbox off after more precision magic hammer wielding.

What's this then on gearbox input shaft (still no idea of correct terminology.. is this right?)

There it is, truly mullered splines... new gearbox anyone?

So there it is - how to split an S into bits. All came apart relatively easily aside from seized cat bolts which were expected... took us from about 3.30pm till 9ish including quick dash to wickes for more drill bits.

Now need to sort cat and gearbox..... will replace clutch while I'm at it and possibly paralever bearings (?)

1/2 way there, it didn't explode and all fingers and toes are intact.

Next week - Putting it all back together.

Massive thanks to Jason.

Ade :D
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:18 pm

No problemo Ade. All in all it went OK I reckon...

Things we forgot to mention...

The shaft is well and truly a) stuck together as all 1 part - ie the lower U/J is absolutely and positively refusing to slide in and out of the upper shaft despite putting the gearbox on the floor and standing on it whilst simultaneously grabbing the shaft by the bulbus UJ end (carefull missus) and tugging as hard as possible/hitting it/Plus Gas/threats of violence and b) stuck onto the big circlip end on the gearbox output shaft despite more threats/tug of war/plus gas/big F'off scredriver

Last person I knew with this problem was Tony years ago - that's not his surname by the way... it was actually years ago....

I reckon it'll budge somehow otherwise I'll tie the gearbox to a tree and the uj to the car via a strong rope and see who wins :shock:

Also - the 22mm Labda probe is stuck solid in the cat - b'stard.

Oh yea - all bits will now appear on flea-bay on a 3 day auction and I have a ticket to europe booked :lol:

Jason

gus

Postby gus » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:24 pm

Ade
Glad you found the problem.Now the big question is,has there been a problem with the input shafts on certain gearboxes.Crap material or hardnering process.You dont want to be sticking in another gearbox with the same shitty shaft.It may be better to replace the input shaft in your box.I know it would be more hassle and maybe cost a little more,but i cant help wondering why these splines are failing.
Also try and get y piece instead of cat,although you should get a cat for little or no money.
I did start mine up once without the cans,ITS LOUD :!:
Good luck with the rebuild.
Gus
ps Jason is a star when it comes to helping people out.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:45 pm

gus wrote:ps Jason is a star when it comes to helping people out.

Ahhhh Gus.... I love you too mate :oops:

Money/Compromising pictures of wife/tickets to daughters 16th birthday etc are in the post :!:

Jason

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Soon have that shaft apart and lambda probe out - will put the lot in the barbie tonight for a bit of heat treatment....

or something similar...

Gus, going to have a chat with Motorworks to see if they have any suggestions, stuck bits are going down to local engineering works to get them apart if abovementioned grilling doesn't work.

As for replacing the gearbox with a similarly duff one - I have a sneaky suspicion that the next 6k miles I have with this S could be the last, you never know....

Jason, you'll never be able to disable the alarm to sell the bits, it will haunt you forever... whats that Stephen King book/film - Christine.... :lol:

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

winger

Postby winger » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:36 pm

I'll ditto Gus,well done Jason,as was asked some months ago why were batteries and Disc's being sourced by people??or delivered for free!!! because we can.

Not sure which suprised me the most the splines,or the fact that anyone rides an S with a cat!!!!

As for the lamba,don't worry you ain't the first to have trouble getting one out!!,soak it and use a hot air paint stripper gun it'll go,heat it up and let it cool down several times before even putting and spanner on it.

oyster

Postby oyster » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Bit obvious I guess, but you will want to replace those seals that are prone to leaking - all of them along the drive system. And the bevel bearings if needed.
I wonder if the gearbox shaft has had a serious hammering because the sliding connection at the other end has siezed? If so, how can anyone check for siezing drive shafts short of removing the rear end? Could remove the gaiter strap and try to slide the shaft back and forth?
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Keith

Naked Lady

Postby Keith » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:54 pm

Have just returned 'red faced' from WSB sun dried race day and have fought my way through her 'old tat' int shed and found a nearly new CAT plus two silencers if you would like to make an offer (No we dont swing !) of pound notes only they are yours.
Keith[/b]

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:11 pm

Your woes set me to watching item #330013232873 with half a mind to buy it. However it's finished with no apparent takers so you may wish to drop him/her an e-mailto see if it's still available. Started (and ended) at 99p.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:01 pm

anyone rides an S with a cat!!!!

Just doing my bit for the environment 8)

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:05 pm

Ade B wrote:
anyone rides an S with a cat!!!!

Just doing my bit for the environment 8)

Ade

You need a CG125 if you are that way inclined :wink:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:20 pm

to be perfectly honest - cost of an unloved cat cluttering up someones garage - very little

cost of y piece £155 + postage..

performance gain, very little.

And I can sleep better knowing my fossil fuel burning emissions are that little bit cleaner..

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Ade B wrote:to be perfectly honest - cost of an unloved cat cluttering up someones garage - very little

cost of y piece £155 + postage..

performance gain, very little.

And I can sleep better knowing my fossil fuel burning emissions are that little bit cleaner..

Ade

Do you know the environmental costs of manufacturing a cat ?
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear

bright until you hear them speak.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:43 pm

nope - precious metals, high embodied energy, transport costs etc.etc.:roll:

cars 'n' bikes are not green period, I know - but hey - I'm recycling a catalytic convertor, double whammy

surely that guarantees me a place in heaven.:wink:

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:51 pm

Hi Ade,
a shame that you are having all this aggro with the bike. :cry:
Thanks for the great photos and write up though.
Do let us know/see what you decide to do, new box/shaft.
Good luck with putting it all back together.
Jason gets my vote as most helpful trixter of the year! 8)

Return to “Boxertech”