What oil

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

a-jay26

What oil

Postby a-jay26 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:39 pm

Hello...

Having had a wee spill last year just getting the S back together and I needed to put some oil in. I popped into the Esso garage and bought some Mobile 4T racing oil......I think it is a fully sinthetic oil?? Does it matter?? The bike will be getting serviced soon anyway but what engine oil do most folk use.

Andy Stewart

Boxadog 2000

Engine Oil

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:00 pm

Dear Mr Burnett

Please be advised of the following:

If your bike has covered:

Less than 6000 miles CASTROL GP 10W40 (Mineral Based Oil)

I really was not sure what the current BMW recomendation was so i phoned BMW GB and asked them to Email me.
The reply as follows

More than 6000 miles CASTROL GPS 10W40 (Semi Synthetic)

OVER 24,000 miles we would recommend Castrol R4 Superbike (fully Synthetic)

Yours sincerely

Polly Soper
Customer Service Executive
BMW Great Britain
Customer Service

Tel: +44(0)870 5050160
Fax: +44(0)870 5050 205
Email: polly.soper@bmw.co.uk

Boxadog 2000

Engine Oili

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:03 pm

Dont know what happened to the previous post but the secon paragraph should be in front of the first.

Luddite puter operator.

Bob

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:17 pm

Castrol Magnatec semi synth if it's done over 10k - prior to that any good qualitybranded mineral based oil to SF, SG, or SH. CD or CE suffixes. G4 or G5.

Dave. 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

I've been using Castrol GPS semi synthetic from my 600 mile service. I thought that this was the right one. What effect will this have on the bike overall? Will this account for my high oil consumption (between 600-800 miles per litre)?

Any advice please?

minivin

Postby minivin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:23 pm

I've run GPS 10W40 for 6k to 12k (service tomorrow waahhhhhhh :cry: ) and it's been and cooked 3 litres in that time, looks like the above info is best held to

bmwonder wrote:I've been using Castrol GPS semi synthetic from my 600 mile service. I thought that this was the right one. What effect will this have on the bike overall? Will this account for my high oil consumption (between 600-800 miles per litre)?

Any advice please?
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:28 pm

The spec for the boxer engine oil is as follows:

"Brand name HD oil, API classification SF, SG, or SH; combination with CD or CE suffixes are permissable. Alternatively brand name HD oil CCMC classification G4 or G5; suffix PD2 is permissable"

I'm not very well up on oil technology but.....

......The SF to SG signifies the development stage of the oil, actually all the API classifications up to SH are now obsolete - we're now onto SJ and the latest is SL. CD and CE are actually Diesel oil classifications! This can only be used if the CD/CE is combined with the S# classification.

The CCMC classification is the old Europen Standard which has now been replaced by the new ACEA system. The G4 or G5 Spec is therefore from the CCMC classification - not to be confused with the GL classification which is the API Classification for gear oil! - confused?
So - the 2 classifications mainly in use these days are API (American Petroleum Institute) and ACEA (Association des Constructeurs Européene d'Automobile)
The equivelent (or to exceed the equivelent) of CCMC G4 or G5 you'll need the ACEA A2 or A3

All the info regarding the oils specs should be printed on the container, if it's not, put it back on the shelf where you took it from! Generally speaking you're always best sticking to good branded stuff like Castrol, Shell etc.

In short, what you're looking for is API SJ or SL. ACEA A2 (or A3) on the container if it's got that and the viscosity of SAE 10W-40 or 15W-40 it's ok to put in your Boxer. There's also the Japansese JASO (Japanese Standards Organisation) classifications ......erm, we'll do that another day eh?

Any total bollox stated here will no doubt be pounced upon by someone of smarter arse than I :wink: - watch this space :mrgreen:

some useful info:
http://www.castroljapan.com/eng/useful_ ... es02.shtml

Dave 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Return to “Boxertech”