What a difference!

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

What a difference!

Postby Darth_1100S » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:01 pm

Been out for a ride on the S this afternoon the first one since doing the paralever bearings. Gotta say there's a huge difference in the handling, gone is the wobbly unstable feeling when I go over white lines and overbanding. Result! :D I changed the oil in the bevel box the other day and the stuff that came out was quite black and dirty. No lumps or bits stuck to the magnetic drain plug but just mucky, and it's not that long ago since it was changed. When I got back from my run this afternoon I drained the oil out again and it was still a bit blackish :? so I put some more fresh in. Tomorrow I'm supposed to be going for a run with a couple of mates so I'll do it again when I get back. In fact I'll do it every couple of days 'til it gets clear, may take about 4 - 5 changes til it's clean.
There's such a small amount of oil in the bevel box I think it needs very regular oil changes to to keep it fit and healthy. I'll certainly be doing mine now at every engine oil change.

Anybody know for sure what grade oil to use in there? In Repair manual it specifies EP 90 - GL5. But in the handbook it says EP80/90 can be used. I'm not that well up on oils to know what the different properties of each is, and the effect of using a multigrade gear oil over a monograde.

I popped in to a local H*nda dealership on my way home today, I'm looking for some new touring boots and they have a good clothing dept.
When I got outside to leave I found I had no fresh ear plugs and the ones I'd taken out when I got there were too grotty! So I rode home with none in, first time I've ridden without earplugs in ages ( I have tinnitus). Isn't the S a noisy bugger? :shock: - I'd never realised before just how rattley and whiney it is. Back to the ear plugs then!

Dave. 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:16 pm

Glad to hear it's back on the road again then Dave, and spic and span and Bristol fashion (Where does that expressin come from?). It worries me every time I ride wiothout earplugs cos there's always a new noise. Guess it's like my skeleton, getting creaky with age. I do like hearing the backfires properly though :lol:

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:10 pm

Spic and span and Bristol fashion - The actual phrase Jason is "Shipshape and Bristol Fashion" comes from the days when Bristol had a enviable reputation for preparing ships for sea.................God I'm an anorak! :wink:

Must admit I don't any backfires from the 'S' - I used to get loads of them from my 1100R tho'

Dave 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Return to “Boxertech”