Slick 50

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Slick 50

Postby Gromit » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:02 pm

Would you?
Have you?

This stuff's been on the market for something like 20 years, but I've yet to hear of any real tests being done as to its effectiveness (or lack of). Has anyone any experience of it, either good or bad?

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:53 pm

I've used it in the 'S' gearbox Gromit, it seemed to make the changes a bit more "slick" - no pun intended! :mrgreen: But what it's long term effects are I couldn't say. I reckon regular oil changes with a good quality branded oil will be as good if not better.
After all if the stuff was THAT good I expect the oil compamies would put it in their products to start with!

There's quite a bit of stuff on the 'net on the subject of "Snake oils"

Dave 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Skint

Postby Skint » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:00 pm

Use Active 8, Have been for over a year, not sure if it does out as i change the gearbox oil loads, so could not completly tell but looking inside with an endoscope the internals are like new...
But i do use a DX grade which is the trade box oil, so nice to have some adds in just in case.
When can the Highway agency lay softer road coverings??

Now rides a mangled wreck... Ho Hum back to the K100

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:21 pm

I think most oils already have that shite in them - in some form or other.

Have also heard that it's a big no-no in a wet clutch bike
non quod, sed quomodo

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:25 pm

When I was young and naive I (well Freddie Mayes actually) gave my GPz600R the Slick50 treatment at the 6k service. Don't recall it being anything special and 50+mpg and 145mph (not at the same time) remained pretty much the same.

As for long term benefit, who knows. I traded it in at 15k because the infamous hole in the Kawasaki midrange got gradually worse as the miles went on. The nearest I got to solving it was having the carbs set up and tweaked but in the process I lost the top end :( C 779 KEW if anyone knows of it's whereabouts now.

Personally, I wouldn't bother again.

Adam

(Reminiscing now... £2950 brand new in Dec '85, started running it in in the snow! Experienced my first tankslapper at 70mph! Just for a laugh out run a panda car that came up behind me with his blue light on :) and on a different day passed a traffic car at 145 and got away with it :D - Trade it in for a K75c and then get banned in '89... go figure).
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:04 pm

Adam... I remember the 'Freddie Mayes' service: Leave a few grubby fingerprints on the bike and round off a few bolt heads. Job's a good 'un :D

I've been doing a bit of web-searching for Slick 50 info but mostly come up with negative/no difference-type info.

fraggle

Postby fraggle » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:35 pm

I used slick 50 in an R100RT in the mid 8o's, just before I went on holiday. The oil warning light had started coming on below 3500 revs. i went on holiday and did a good few miles with no horrible noises, although the light took longer to go out. When i got back I popped it into the BM dealers in Southampton (can't remember name) Oil pump was F****d but engine as far as I can recall was unscathed. I put this down to the slick 50 and used it in anything I could pour it into after that.
I'll be pouring it into my S when i get to 12k

Return to “Boxertech”