Accessory Socket

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:13 am

My acc socket is wired into the usual plug that's cable tied ti the off side frame rail under the seat. It's live even with no ignition.

Lloyd

ipollen

Postby ipollen » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:59 pm

Ooh can I use this plug to connect my battery tender?
Regards, Ian

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:54 pm

Yes thats what I use the acc socket for mostly

Lloyd

stevetoxic

Postby stevetoxic » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:03 am

Hi Lloyd, I saw the post about connecting you battery tender to the accesory socket, and I had been wondering the same thing.
I use an Optimate charger, have you made your own connecting lead, or can you buy them :?:
thanks. Steve(toxic)

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:22 am

My optimate came with an additional section - like an extention lead to attatch to the battery at one end and the white electrical socket at the other. Remove the battery ends and splice on a male jackplug suitable to fit acc socket - the other end remaiins white electrical plug to clip to standard optimate power out cable.
It's worked so well I'e fitted acc sockets to the two H*ndas in the garage too.

Lloyd

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:42 am

[quote="boxerpan"]My optimate came with an additional section - like an extention lead to attatch to the battery at one end and the white electrical socket at the other. Remove the battery ends and splice on a male jackplug suitable to fit acc socket - the other end remaiins white electrical plug to clip to standard optimate power out cable.
It's worked so well I'e fitted acc sockets to the two H*ndas in the garage too.

Lloyd[/quote

Wired my Sat Nav. via a 1amp fuse,from the accessory socket wire.Do`nt see why it should use any power when Sat Nav. switched off.Could be wrong though.

Reg.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

adamski49

Help!!!

Postby adamski49 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:48 pm

Ok, stoopid of Cambridge here... thought this would be simple to change but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm trying to follow the original routing of the cable between the airbox and the C frame but I'll be buggered if I can find a point where I can feed the plug through.

Does the plug separate? There appears to be a smaller plug within the main plug but I had to destroy the original to see if would come apart, not sure if this was down to corrosion or the fact that's it's not supposeed to be split.

This 5 minute job has turned into a PIA. I can see me routing it over the frame at this rate.

Adam :?
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Gromit

Re: Help!!!

Postby Gromit » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:46 pm

adamski49 wrote:
I'm trying to follow the original routing of the cable between the airbox and the C frame but I'll be buggered if I can find a point where I can feed the plug through.

This 5 minute job has turned into a PIA. I can see me routing it over the frame at this rate.

Adam :?

Adam - you and me both mate. When I fitted mine I just tried my best to route it neatly and not send it the way the instructions indicate.

You're right - it's a reet bugger.

adamski49

Re: Help!!!

Postby adamski49 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:15 pm

Gromit wrote:Adam - you and me both mate. When I fitted mine I just tried my best to route it neatly and not send it the way the instructions indicate.

You're right - it's a reet bugger.

As long as it's not just me then :)

For those that are contemplating this little mod or need to replace a cable at a later date (and choose to mount the socket at the bottom and not the top as suggested by the enlightened on this forum) it is possible to separate the inner wires from the main plug... it involves an amount of swearing, numerous screwdrivers as levers and some long nosed pliers.

I practiced on the old cable first and can post pics and a crude method of disassembly if anyone has a perverse desire to know.

Adam... happy in the knowledge that the battery is once again being looked after by optimate :D
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Return to “Boxertech”