Getting them Wheels Off

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Delpel

Getting them Wheels Off

Postby Delpel » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:51 am

OK chaps, this may seem like a silly question but eh it's nearly the weekend.

I am about to change my tyres and need some tips on getting the back wheel off the ground.

I have the Boxercup Replica which as you know has no centre stand. There is also a big blue bug catcher mounted to where the stand would bolt to.

So is there a tried and tested way of getting the back wheel off the ground. I have a front padock stand but nothing for the rear yet.

The advice off the collective would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Derek

By the way I am putting Pilot Roads on, but I don't want to start another tyre thread!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:18 am

Derek - one of the ways I did it was (you'll need to remove the bellypan) get a hydraulic trolley jack and place it under the r/h centre stand mounting lug. This lifts the bike over to the left (don't overdo it!) - strap the front brake lever back and the bike's solid as.

hth

PS. I'm on the island a week thursday stopping with Stu - you up for a meet up? Getting an Africa Twin for 3 days starting saturday morning. You about, say, monday?

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:37 pm

alternatively to Grom's suggestion - is the swingarm solid enough that you can jack it up (with suitable rags etc to stop it scratching) with the bike on the sidestand?

That will lift the rear off the deck - and have the bike sitting on the sidestand, front wheel and jack under the swing-arm.

Might be an idea to loosen the rear wheel bolts first though!!
non quod, sed quomodo

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:41 pm

Definately loosen the wheel nuts before you remove the rear caliper. Get someone to hold the back brake down (you can do it yourself and lean over the bike) and loosen the nuts else it will be a nightmare.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:35 pm

RB - with the Boxers the problem can be actually getting at the swingarm. The torque arm could be used but I'd not really want to rest the weight of the bike's rear end on it.

Another way is to line up an axle stand under the r/h c/stand frame lug then jack up the l/h side of the bike in the opposite spot. R/h lug then sits on the axle stand - l/h on trolley jack.

Alternatively an ABBA stand :)

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:05 pm

Cheers chaps,

I was speaking to the BMW garage here in Limassol and the mechanic says they use axle stands and an iron rod - buggers belief!!!!

I will experiment after my sunday morning thrash and the cerimonial toasting of the old tyre.

Gromit, there is a rideout organised for the 4th April, about 200miles which isn't bad for an island this size. Tell Stu it's 10am at the Helicopter - he'll know what you mean.

See you then and cheers for the help.

Derek

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:11 pm

Delpel wrote:
Gromit, there is a rideout organised for the 4th April, about 200miles which isn't bad for an island this size. Tell Stu it's 10am at the Helicopter - he'll know what you mean.

See you then and cheers for the help.

Derek

Derek - I'm not actually on the island till the evening before Good Friday, unfortunately.

I think I know the helicopter you mean - fallen out of a taxi from Akky village many a time at that point!! :D (you do mean the big yellow one just up from Tommy Tucker's??)

Hope to catch up with you sometime the following weekend.

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:23 am

Gromit

No worries, I got my days mixed up. I will try and make sure I am off for that Sunday/Monday.

TTFN

Derek

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:18 pm

OK went out to the garage for a closer look and a bit of brain storming. Soon discovered you can't remove the belly pan with out lifting the side stand (bit difficult on your own) Then I looked at passing a steel bar through the rear footrest hangers - to high to support. Then I placed an axle stand with padding to preserve paintwork under the right side rear footrest hanger and tilted the bike on to the stand. Then by grabbing the left side footrest hanger lifted the rear end and shoved another axle stand in postion. Bobs your uncle, the rear wheel is spinning freely and ready to be removed.

Gonna kill the tyre tomorrow and get some burnout photo's (always wanted to do that)

Cheers for the replies and help.

Enjoy the weather where ever you are 8) :D 8) :D 8)

Derek

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:11 pm

Delpel wrote:Gonna kill the tyre tomorrow and get some burnout photo's (always wanted to do that) Derek

Derek

Just so you know, the molten rubber sticks to everything it can get to and is a bugger to clean off apparently. My mate with a 916 had the same idea... nice photos, painful cleaning session :lol:

Have fun!

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:22 am

Yeh I know what you mean. I remember walking behind a bike doing the same thing and getting coated with millions of little bits of burnt rubber. Ruined my best OGRI t-shirt :cry:

Tried to smoke aforementioned tyre but couldn't get the bloody thing to spin up. Leaning right over the handle bars made no difference. All I ended up with was a burning clutch plate smell - not good so I've sacked the idea.

New tryes tomorrow, that should be interesting. Finding a Cypriot tyre fitter that can balance bike wheels.

TTFN

Derek

Return to “Boxertech”