Rear Brake Jammed ( again )

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

theseadog

Rear Brake Jammed ( again )

Postby theseadog » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:05 pm

Well I'm a bit flumoxed on this. You may remeber my previous post abotu the rear sticking on, cooking the disk/pads and then setting fire to the gaitor.

Only flaming ( no pun intended ) happended again, worse this time, had to get a piggin hose to put out the flames and stop the acrid black smoke. ( Thanks to the local council drain clearing lorry for that ! )

I stripped it last time, cleaned the calliper, degreased, regreased, new seals, new pads, new pin, and it worked fine since then until now. This would suggest it's a road crap build up but when I took the damn thing off it's working perfectly, sliding freely, and generaly pissing me off :cry:

It's also clean, so I'm going to repeat the process but replace the adpator plate locating pins this time. ( That's slider pins to you and I ) They appear fine but they're the only moving part that hasn't been replaced, ergo they're next on the hit list.

Tea and sympathy welcome along with moderate sarcasam, and don't worry unlike our yank cousins I won't try to get the board closed and threaten law suits. :wink:

Toodle Pip
:roll:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

gus

Postby gus » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:08 pm

Now i,m only suggesting this and in no way am i saying you are doing it.BUT,are you sure you aint trailing the back brake most of the time.Maybe new boots,bad foot position poorly adjusted height of the lever?
Finally, you do know the rear brake is the one on the right dont ya? :wink:
And the one on the left is the gear lever! :lol:
Would also explain why you cant get outta first gear.......
gus

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:25 am

Just a suggestion!

I recently had the same thing on a car ( well - not much of a car - but a car). It turned out that the flexible hose had started to collapse inside - not allowing the fluid to return properly.

Didn't get the flames tho'!!

Sandbar

oyster

Postby oyster » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:58 pm

I changed the pad pins on my 1998 for stainless, never jammed.
And, if you want it for £5 delivered, I can send on my original rear hose that I have just swapped for a steel job.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:57 pm

Righty ho, in order

Gus - You're a cheeky monkey :lol: I must admit I was beginning to question myself over trailing the brake, but I'm definately not. Yes I had worked out that at some point the bike industry changed the bloody pedal sides, quite why I just don't know ! :D But good point, check the simple things first.

Sandbar - I had included this in my line of thought but dismissed it as the fault was intermittent, however I'm now going to replace them anyway as at 6 years old they're guarented to be past their best, so thanks for that.

Oyster - Thanks for the offer, very good of you, but as my bikes about the same age as yours I'm going to change the hoses ( front and back ) but appreciate the offer. That's what's so good about this board, a seemingly disparate gropu of souls bound by a common obsession :roll:

Where did you get your stainless items from though ????

Thanks again for the suggestions guys, but what happended to my T&S ?

Toodle Pip
Cheers

PAul

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:40 pm

It couldn't be the anti rattle spring in the wrong place.

I removed the pads, pins and spring when I cleaned mine up and got confused as to the springs location. When you look at the inside of the caliper it looks like the spring should sit in the middle of the pads. Not so as I found out when everything jammed up. The spring is offset towards the back of the caliper.

Just a thought
TTFN and enjoy the weather where ever you are!!

Derek 8) 8) 8)

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:14 pm

Hi Derek

No, the clip only has one location one the older Brembo branded callipers, but good thought though.

How's the GS rebuild going ?

Toodle Pip
Cheers

PAul

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:40 pm

Paul the GS is coming along great. Nearly finished, just waiting on a pair of front discs and half a cock eyed headlight unit.

Having some ABS issues though. Might end up ripping the whole lot out and running braided lines straight from the master cylinders to the calipers.

Anybody done this on an 1100S
TTFN and enjoy the weather where ever you are!!

Derek 8) 8) 8)

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Delpel wrote:Anybody done this on an 1100S

The Pelican board has an itemised ABS ectomy done to the S, try there.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Return to “Boxertech”