Lightweight wheels.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Re: Lightweight wheels.

Postby dave the german » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:22 pm

Personally, for a push bike I would use Hope hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims (if they're still available) and DT double butted spokes - not the thin Revolution spokes though. Unless you're racing these are perfectly good and no searching for fancy spokes if you do snap one
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:57 am

I've done some checks thanks to the information suppled by Blackel. Dymag and Rotobox only make rear wheels for double sided swingarms(however Dymag said they might make them next year) and BST do make them for the r1200s. Later this year or early next year I will be in a position to buy some BST wheels and a power commander will keep you updated again many thanks to all who contributed to this post.

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:43 pm

Wheels finally ordered gone for gold color as bike is black however due to materials shortages will not be ready for 3 months. Looking into Power Commander next and now have to get front Ohlins shock overhauled as seal is leaking. Done a little survey for BST wheels and gave a plug to the Boxertrix fouum Dobbo.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:02 pm

I've got a Power Commander and quick shifter for sale - the postage may be a problem but can look into it if you want
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:13 pm

Sorry Dave already ordered and payed for one. Removed front shock will send away for repairs tomorrow. Can't get on a dyno till October.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:54 pm

THREAD RESURECTION..............

How did you get on with your CF wheels, Dobbo? Did you get them?

What make?
Did you weigh them?
Did you weigh the stock wheels?
What do you think?

Come on - photos and report, please !!
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:40 pm

Blackal still waiting for wheels. Ordered and paid for on June 3 from memory they Emailed me to let me know there is a 3 month delay for materials, due to covid I suppose. Should be arriving soon hopefully. Will give a report when sorted. Photos could be a problem I've tried to put them on forums before without success.

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:17 pm

Just a quick update. Still waiting for my wheels HPS latest story is BST has started making wheels again but waiting on aluminum precision spacers and bolts now well overdue on their promised revised dates.
Power commander 4 fitted and dynoed. The weather over here is very bad days/ weeks of heavy rain and floods yet another LA NINA event (see pothole russian roulette post ) but went for a ride on wednesday 19. Because I've rarely ridden the bike the last couple of months due to weather and shock rebuilds etc I can't give a back to back seat of the pants power difference. However ( bike has HPE pipe ) it is much smoother and power is more linier and I found going through towns at 60kmh, usually third gear was leaving it in fourth or fifth gear by accident it was that smooth.
Also got rid of a rough patch I had between 3800 to 4100 rpm in the rev range.
Regards Dobbo.

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:06 am

Wheels finally arrived a couple of weeks back now fitted up with Pirreli rosso 3 tyres and on bike ready to go.
First ride out yesterday on hwy and mainly twisty country roads about 250kms. Noticable difference in bike in one word NIMBLE. The claims are true quicker acceleration, much easier to change direction and suspension feels better. Paranoid about potholes but that faded away after a few kms.

Front rim with bearings and disc rotor mounts. 3.320kg Rear rim 4.028kg
I weighed these on kitchen scales so are accurate. I weighed old wheels and new wheels with disc's and tyres using bathroom scales but were that inaccurate it was a waste of time.

Note; Apparently wheels have gone up in price by 500 pound since I ordered mine. Don't follow instructions regarding fitting brake discs use less torque on mounting bolts than factory specs and fit Nylok nuts on the inside of the disc mounting flange's. ( flanges are only 5mm thick and I started to strip out the threads on a couple of holes )

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:16 pm

Yes - they are instantly impressive!

I'm not sure what suspension adjustment you do have, but the reduction in suspension inertia might be worth adjusting for.

How about a few photos as it looks now?

See if that works .....

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:12 pm

Blackal you were right. Next time bike is clean will try and post some photo's. With suspension settings what do you suggest backing off rebound and comp slightly?

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:07 am

dobbo wrote:Blackal you were right. Next time bike is clean will try and post some photo's. With suspension settings what do you suggest backing off rebound and comp slightly?

Jeez! I have no idea! :oops:

Mark the starting point on each shock and only adjust one shock at a time. Just like raising forks to lower the front of a conv bike - even if someone says "I raised 10mm and it is great" - just adjust half that at first.

See if that works .....

Phil K

Postby Phil K » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:15 pm

No mention of Tyssenkrupp Carbon woven wheels??

Though too expensive for me! (and our bikes are probably too old for them to bother)

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:41 am

£3,400 typically - probably similar cost to others?

https://www.roadraceperformanceshropshi ... bon-wheels

See if that works .....

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:36 pm

Phil first I've heard of these wheels however looks like they only as you say make them for S1000RR etc.

Return to “Boxertech”