R1200/1250 RS Suspension - Dynamic ESA vs 'normal'

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jeznewsome

R1200/1250 RS Suspension - Dynamic ESA vs 'normal'

Postby jeznewsome » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:18 pm

Chaps, I think I am going to change to a 12x0RS at some point soon (it'd be an easier choice if the 1250 colours were better!).

There is a bike local to me that looks good BUT does not have dynamic ESA. It appears that the rear is adjustable for Preload (Hyd Adjuster) and also Rebound damping but the front appears to be non adjustable (save for and oil change I suppose).

I have only ever ridden 12x0RS with the Dynamic ESA.

Now to some extent the lack of electrics is good for me i.e. one of the reasons I want rid of my 1290GT is that though a software update (after 18mths) made it bearable I don't feel that the rear tyre is kept particularly well in contact with the road (making the TC work harder than it needs). Before the software update the suspension was pants! My R1100S feels like it does a better job in the suspension dept than the KTM.

But is the non ESA suspension any good? Anyone got one and prefer it or the other way around. Any recognised and easy tweaks for any undesirable characteristics (particularly if the front fork is not externally adjustable)

Hoping there'll be some experience out there on this. Ta.

Blackal

Re: R1200/1250 RS Suspension - Dynamic ESA vs 'normal'

Postby Blackal » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:19 pm

Is there a recognised route for decent aftermarket shock/fork inserts for the 1200r?

If the bike is a few years old - it might be a good option to avoid ESA and possible failures by putting on better suspension.

People used to say that you would be taking a hit on resale, but with decent aftermarket suspension- I would say buyers would be easier to find.

Just a thought
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 pm

Blackal wrote:Is there a recognised route for decent aftermarket shock/fork inserts for the 1200r?

If the bike is a few years old - it might be a good option to avoid ESA and possible failures by putting on better suspension.

People used to say that you would be taking a hit on resale, but with decent aftermarket suspension- I would say buyers would be easier to find.

Just a thought

Good thought. Bike is a 2019 1250, so suspension should not be tired. Hopefully get to ride it on Saturday to see what it feels like and in the meantime do some more research.

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:03 pm

My 2016 1200RS has ESA and it's handy to reset the suspension when I have Sue as pillion. The suspension works well enough although the rear shock did fail and need a new controller, luckily when it was still under warranty.

Prior to the RS I had a GS with ESA but for what it's worth thought the GS I had before that (if you are still following me), which was fitted with Wilbers, was the nicest to ride. Better than the ESA and with the remote pre-load and easy enough to change when necessary.

I've thought about buying a another RS, and would probably go for ESA, but the awful colour schemes (baby poo yellow or very, very boring blue and black) have stopped me committing to buy one so far.

I realise this may not be much help! :D
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:18 pm

No that makes perfect sense. I have no worries about pillion (Mdm has her own bike) .

It'll be really interesting the ride the non ESA bike on Saturday.

And I entirely agree about the colour schemes - bring back Blue and White!

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:34 pm

Jez, I would have thought a 2019 1250 with standard forks would have adequate suspension for your needs. BMW saw fit to ditch the telelever on these bikes and they only retain it (for now) on two models, one of which satisfies the needs (In a HD way) of the masses who would shudder at not having telelever. So any comparison to a telelever with or without expensive aftermarket suspension is questionable

What is relevant is that all ecu adjustment is expensive, as is all the new tech such as tft screens, power modes, etc etc. A 1250 with standard forks correctly set up for your average riding I dare say would be more than adequate and less expensive to sort when it goes off down the line than ESA.

The tech on bikes today really hikes up the cost of buying and maintaining when it goes wrong. I can hardly reset the time of day on my bike and to be quite honest i don`t care about that or lean angle or any other data about my ride.

What i can say is that my ESA on the 1200 works fine (I think) I keep it in dynamic for two up with luggage all the time. That is only so i don`t have to remember how to change it back for when we go on tour.

Whatever you chose it will be better than telelever. That is backed up by the fact that BMW do not see fit to persevere with it or any other manufacturer attempting to do similar.

For what it is worth, as a solo rider also try the 1250 r. In fact try both the 1200`s that may be very cost effective.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:02 am

Just had my first ride out in 2 years on my 12S fitted with Öhlins and loved it! But also love the ESA on my GS. I took a test ride on a 12RS and loved it until I braked - did not like the standard forks (I seem to recall Ian had the same thoughts?). I think best bet is to test ride it and decide for yourself as you can see from the few replies here, opinions are wildly varied. The RS however, was a lovely riding position. Not overly impressed with the tank size
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:11 pm

I think the ESA also reduces the dive of traditional forks under heavy braking.

If you buy an ESA bike, then a future failure of shock/forks will be expensive to make good.

If you buy the standard bike then you will have a bike similar to most other conventionally-fitted bikes, in that good aftermarket units will make a huge difference.

I see from your bike list that you have probably already recognised the difference that good suspension makes?

In summary- I'd say go for that bike, see what you think as to the handling - and throw some money at the suspension if you feel it is warranted.

See if that works .....

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:22 pm

Just goes to show, it's horses for courses - or some other inappropriate epigram.
As Dave remembers I much prefer telelever to conventional front forks, although I'm sure Al is right in saying the ESA does mitigate fork dive under braking.
The more I think about it, in terms of ride quality and cost of failure conventional suspension with after market shocks is probably the best way to go.

Good luck with your road tests. Whichever way you go I'm sure you'll enjoy the RS - for me the best of both worlds (GS & RT), to others a flawed compromise :D
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:11 pm

I have ridden a few 1200 and one 1250 RS previously, though I think all were ESA. I am looking more keenly at adverts now for tell tale silver forks and hydraulic preload adjusters

Having done some research there are options for improved fork inners (on the 1200 at least) should that be necessary, giving split damping adjustment Comp in one and Rebound in the other.

https://www.nitron.co.uk/buy-online/motorcycles/bmw-motorrad/r1200-r-rs/-15-18- not cheap mind!

I will drop them a line to see if the kit will also fit the 1250 forks.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:49 pm

Not cheap!

Have you looked to see if Maxton do any?

See if that works .....

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:32 am

Is there the option to take out BMWs extended warranty? Not sure what it covers but may be worth considering
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:01 pm

Silver forked ones will be great. Posh cushions? Our roads are generally potted, rutted, littered with Camper Van Man, Mamil`s now riding Peleton (thanks to Furlough) or reduced to suburban 20mph restrictions. Nobblies may be a more cost effective solution to everyday handling than race track type cushions.

A pothole is no respecter of Ohlins , CF wheels or your goolies.

Jus sayin :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”