R1200S Swingarm gaiter replacement

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Keith_P

R1200S Swingarm gaiter replacement

Postby Keith_P » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:01 pm

Hi folks. I need to replace the gearbox/swingarm gaiter on my new-to-me bike. Looking at the Haynes manual, it looks like it may be possible (yes, might be a fiddly) to replace with the swingarm in place.
Any advice? I'll be replacing both gaiters - the rear one looks easy...
'18 939 Hypermotard
'06 R1200S

Humbug

Re: R1200S Swingarm gaiter replacement

Postby Humbug » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:33 pm

Should be possible to slide the shaft back enough to get the gaiter out and replace it before pushing the shaft back onto the splines. The shaft only comes out one specific way and was a bar steward to get back in when I replaced mine. Don't damage the shaft as a new one cost me £545 and the chance of getting a second hand one makes hens teeth look plentiful. They are apparently specific to the 12S. Back one is easy.
10 KTM RC8

Keith_P

Postby Keith_P » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 am

Humbug wrote:Should be possible to slide the shaft back enough to get the gaiter out and replace it before pushing the shaft back onto the splines. The shaft only comes out one specific way and was a bar steward to get back in when I replaced mine. Don't damage the shaft as a new one cost me £545 and the chance of getting a second hand one makes hens teeth look plentiful. They are apparently specific to the 12S. Back one is easy.

Thanks Humbug - that was how I interpreted the Haynes manual. I'll take it steady with the driveshaft!
'18 939 Hypermotard
'06 R1200S

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Sun May 02, 2021 6:04 pm

pop the arm off , do the oils and grease the shaft when your in that far , its not as big of a job as it looks , i did mine a year or two ago. I also drilled a hole for a rubber grommet in the arm too , underneath so i can squirt up some lube if I want to .
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

Keith_P

Postby Keith_P » Sun May 02, 2021 10:54 pm

Thanks, yes, got another pair of hands & took the arm off. The new front gaiter was a nightmare (& I'm no stranger to fiddly mechanicing!) - on the third try to get it seated properly into the oval apertures I cleaned it up & superglued the rubber to the plastic inner to stop them separating. Easy after that. Did the same with the rear gaiter and Bob's your uncle - easy!
Shaft splines lubed nicely now (they were dry) and a few more corroded bits cleaned up...
Cheers
'18 939 Hypermotard
'06 R1200S

Return to “Boxertech”