R1100s Gearbox question

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Petronius

R1100s Gearbox question

Postby Petronius » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:28 pm

Afternoon all

Just changed the gearbox oil on the bike. Fabricated my own drain plug removal tool and drained what looked like milky soup from the gearbox. Bike has done 47.5k miles and other than a tricky ‘1st from neutral’ selection the gearbox works fine. Perhaps more worryingly there was a lot(?) of metal filings attached to drain plug magnet.

My question is, I’m assuming the magnet is there for this very reason so if the gearbox oil has never been changed before should I be worried or is the build up of filings normal? (They we’re all small filings like you used to get in those chemistry sets as kids).

Anybody have any experience or words of wisdom?

Comments, as always, very much appreciated.

Happy Easter!

P.

box-doctor

Re: R1100s Gearbox question

Postby box-doctor » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:04 pm

As a bloke that works on gearboxes every day I can tell you that this is normal - it’s a very harsh environment & shmoo is normal. Without the magnet the shmoo would contaminate things like bearings & cause premature wear.
2004 Boxer Cup.
1992 V.W. Golf Mk2 van with 3.0 VR6 & custom 1 off 6 speed gearbox.
1990 V.W. Golf Mk1 cabrio.
Honda Civic Type R with Jackson Racing supercharger.
BMW E34 530 V8 sport auto.

Pete.

Re: R1100s Gearbox question

Postby Pete. » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:32 pm

Petronius wrote:Afternoon all

Just changed the gearbox oil on the bike. Fabricated my own drain plug removal tool and drained what looked like milky soup from the gearbox. Bike has done 47.5k miles and other than a tricky ‘1st from neutral’ selection the gearbox works fine. Perhaps more worryingly there was a lot(?) of metal filings attached to drain plug magnet.

My question is, I’m assuming the magnet is there for this very reason so if the gearbox oil has never been changed before should I be worried or is the build up of filings normal? (They we’re all small filings like you used to get in those chemistry sets as kids).

Anybody have any experience or words of wisdom?

Comments, as always, very much appreciated.

Happy Easter!

P.

First from neutral just clicks in if you pull the clutch and select first on the count of three.

Return to “Boxertech”