Lithium Battery - Long Term Experience Anyone?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Grip Fast

Lithium Battery - Long Term Experience Anyone?

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:49 am

The battery in my R12S is struggling to turn her over after barely 18 months from new. I'm guessing the lack of regular use during lockdowns hasn't helped, although I do put the Optimate on every few days (it's impractical to leave it connected). The last few charges, it's gone to recovery mode first, so I think the battery is past its best before.

I'm thinking about getting a Li-ion (I have very positive* experience with Life-po batteries for another use). Has anyone here had a li-ion battery fitted for a few years, and what's your experience?

I'm looking at a Shido from SportsBikeShop. Anyone used a Shido? Many thanks for any advice.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/248674

*no pun intended :roll:

popsky

Re: Lithium Battery - Long Term Experience Anyone?

Postby popsky » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi Grip Fast, I know an ex Boxertrixer who has li-on battery’s in all his six bikes, has had for many years, not sure what make but do know you need the correct charger.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:38 am

popsky wrote:Hi Grip Fast, I know an ex Boxertrixer who has li-on battery’s in all his six bikes, has had for many years, not sure what make but do know you need the correct charger.

Cheers Phil.

capt howdy

Postby capt howdy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:52 am

I have had a lithium battery in my k12R for 7 years and it has just failed. I am replacing it with a new one. Be aware that at there are lot of manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon and making LiFePO4 batteries but are using cheap cells with overrated claims as to their performance. I am putting one in my HP2 sport. Smaller physical size but 360cca instead of the original 230cca. Should handle the boxer easily

https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/blogs ... in-my-bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:29 pm

They tend to have a slightly lower cranking capacity on first crank, but that puts heat into the cells which makes any second crank - stronger than a similar capacity Lead-acid.

They don't need a different charger unless it is also a battery 'conditioner' (a la Optimate etc).
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:32 pm

Blackal wrote:
They don't need a different charger unless it is also a battery 'conditioner' (a la Optimate etc).

I meant this, sorry for any confusion caused :oops:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:37 am

"They don't need a different charger unless it is also a battery 'conditioner' (a la Optimate etc)."

Now that is a surprising statement - the battery chemistry is radically different in Li Fe, Li Ion and Li Po cells compared to Lead Acid types.
In my extensive modelling use of Lithium batteries we have speciallist chargers for all three different Li types as well as the old Ni Cads and newer Ni Mh chemistries. All have different voltage/ current and full charge cut-off parameters.
So I find it odd that a conventional lead acid charger can be used without damaging the Li cells.
John M

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:15 pm

capt howdy wrote:I have had a lithium battery in my k12R for 7 years and it has just failed. I am replacing it with a new one. Be aware that at there are lot of manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon and making LiFePO4 batteries but are using cheap cells with overrated claims as to their performance. I am putting one in my HP2 sport. Smaller physical size but 360cca instead of the original 230cca. Should handle the boxer easily

https://www.fullspectrumpower.com/blogs ... in-my-bike

That's an interesting article. I'll check the charging system on my R12S before ordering. Cheers.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:56 pm

Would recommend SHORAI li had them for years in 3 of my bikes, no need for trickle charging as quote "Lithium batteries handle long-term storage much better, self-discharging only about 1% over the course of about 45 days – regardless of the temperature." Very cold starting just warm battery by turning ignition on while doing up helmet and gloves. :wink:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:06 am

SP250 wrote:"They don't need a different charger unless it is also a battery 'conditioner' (a la Optimate etc)."

Now that is a surprising statement - the battery chemistry is radically different in Li Fe, Li Ion and Li Po cells compared to Lead Acid types.
In my extensive modelling use of Lithium batteries we have speciallist chargers for all three different Li types as well as the old Ni Cads and newer Ni Mh chemistries. All have different voltage/ current and full charge cut-off parameters.
So I find it odd that a conventional lead acid charger can be used without damaging the Li cells.

The bike’s charging system handles LI batteries’ characteristics, so a basic charger will also.

Just found this from one Li battery retailer:
Attachments
LiBatts.JPG
LiBatts.JPG (98.22 KiB) Viewed 6506 times

See if that works .....

capt howdy

Postby capt howdy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:26 pm

Also be aware that if you purchase a lithium specific charger and you wish to charge through the accessory plug you will need to make sure that the charger is canbus suitable otherwise it wont charge.

capt howdy

Postby capt howdy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:32 pm

I have just replaced the yuasa ytx12 with an antigravity small case lithium battery. The size difference is obvious as is the weight - 4.18 kg for the yuasa. 1 kg for the antigravity. The power is the big thing. 230CCA for the yuasa - 360CCA for the antigravity. It turns my hp2 sport over very energetically. The white stuff on the antigravity in the image is a paper label that I haven’t finished removing
Attachments
CE8F0E7D-380A-44B3-B83C-8B4ED471FB41.jpeg
CE8F0E7D-380A-44B3-B83C-8B4ED471FB41.jpeg (832.71 KiB) Viewed 6119 times

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:38 am

capt howdy wrote:I have just replaced the yuasa ytx12 with an antigravity small case lithium battery. The size difference is obvious as is the weight - 4.18 kg for the yuasa. 1 kg for the antigravity. The power is the big thing. 230CCA for the yuasa - 360CCA for the antigravity. It turns my hp2 sport over very energetically. The white stuff on the antigravity in the image is a paper label that I haven’t finished removing

How did you fill up the space in the bike - using the small Li Battery?

See if that works .....

capt howdy

Postby capt howdy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:20 pm

Blackal wrote:
capt howdy wrote:I have just replaced the yuasa ytx12 with an antigravity small case lithium battery. The size difference is obvious as is the weight - 4.18 kg for the yuasa. 1 kg for the antigravity. The power is the big thing. 230CCA for the yuasa - 360CCA for the antigravity. It turns my hp2 sport over very energetically. The white stuff on the antigravity in the image is a paper label that I haven’t finished removing

How did you fill up the space in the bike - using the small Li Battery?

The battery came with 3 ‘yoga mat’ pads with self adhesive backing. Filled the gap nicely

Return to “Boxertech”