A bit confused here ....

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

GerryB

A bit confused here ....

Postby GerryB » Sun May 24, 2020 8:29 am

I have Jez old red BM , N9JOB here in Spain.

This one is pretty standard , and its a great bike , however its always given me a skip when I tip into the nice sweeping bends where ever I ride.
It starts off nicely , then suddenly tips over , and I've never been comfortable , always waiting for it to happen when riding quickly.

I had Al's old bike too, with the wider wheel , and also the standard Showa shocks . This was as smooth as anything and was totally predictable all the way in any corners .
I always just assumed it was the difference between the narrow and the wide wheel that affected the cornering !!

Jez had EMC shocks on N9JOB, and they are great, never done a thing to them since I got them.

But the last few months before lock down, and now we are free again, I figured maybe a trifle hard set up.

So yesterday I took 5mm off spring preload and backed off the damping by one turn at front and one and half at rear .

The bike was totally different to ride yesterday, slightly more dive when braking hard , but the slight softening of the shocks seems to have eliminated the sudden drop in mid corner ...

Isn't it crazy hey, as soon as you put the bike up for sale, you discover some thing really nice about it .

But ...... It is still a handfull on the twisties in the mountains where I really love riding ......
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

BoxerCup R

Re: A bit confused here ....

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun May 24, 2020 1:04 pm

Hi Gerry

Hope all is well in Sunny Spain 8)

I don't know what model 'Jez old red BM , N9JOB' is, I'm guessing it's a R1100s ? but I've gotta say, in my limited experience of 4,500 miles on my BCR over the past 3 years, it has the least front end dive of any bike I have not only owned, but ridden. It is flawless when going into bends, never dives, no matter how hard I brake although I don't tend to break hard to be honest, I try tp get the speed right for the bend before entering but still, when I have, the bike just 'squats', front and rear, as one and leaves me to look through the bend and get on the throttle as soon as possible, perfect.

When I read your post first, my immediate thought was tyres, the squared off variety but now you say you have sorted it with adjusting the suspension, happy days :D

Enjoy riding in the lovely hot sun 8)
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sun May 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Interesting stuff Gerry......perhaps you should hang on to the old girl (and yes it is an R1100S). Aside from problems with the front shock, which was rebuilt under my ownership I never had a problem with the suspension/handling.

Keep enjoying her while you can Gerry :D

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sun May 24, 2020 4:26 pm

jeznewsome wrote:Interesting stuff Gerry......perhaps you should hang on to the old girl (and yes it is an R1100S). Aside from problems with the front shock, which was rebuilt under my ownership I never had a problem with the suspension/handling.

Keep enjoying her while you can Gerry :D

Jez, Its very possible the way I ride, having raced so many years, I tend to brake late into a corner and take a later apex than some guys.

As I said , this bike has always given me one of the :shock: moments as it goes over and then suddenly drops in, almost so fast you think the bike has slid out .

But having said that , a lot of my riding has been 2 up , with panniers, top box and tank bag , so never any enthusiastic riding .

The problem was always most notable when alone .

I've just been out again , the same route that always had me waiting for the "O F###k , and its as well behaved as Al's was with the showa shocks and the fat back wheel.

Maybe the suspension was a trifle too hard for my style of riding .

Ja , The bony seems to be living with me a bit longer than I thought .

I do love it .

N9JOB plate lives in Wales with my old African china .
Old man ... now .

Al

Postby Al » Sun May 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Nice to hear you have come out of lockdown safe and well Gerry.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Mon May 25, 2020 1:11 pm

Al wrote:Nice to hear you have come out of lockdown safe and well Gerry.

Al.

Thanks Al, we have been very fortunate here in our village.

No cases in the 12 weeks so far , but then most folks are obeying the rules .

Its all helped I believe .

You guys take care too please .
Old man ... now .

Return to “Boxertech”